Richard Keogh

Jenkinson

Would happily accept anything up to and above and bring in a reliable defensive centre back who consistently does the job he is paid for without making so many mistakes as Keogh and does not stand around after blaming everyone else for  him losing his man.

If Whitbread was not so injury prone would happily take him Leicester and Norwich fans speak highly of him before his injury jinx struck.

In the comparision with Leicester thread it is mentioned that they tightened up defensively after losing in the play off final and centre of defence was our weakness against top half championship forwards.

Disagree with pretty much everything you've said there.

Both Buxton and Keogh have been consistently great since Mac has come in. To suggest he doesn't do the job he's paid for is absurd. I genuinely believe you're letting the play-off final mistake cloud your overall judgment.

Whitbread hasn't held a starting job down apart from when he was on loan at Millwall (so neither of the clubs you've mentioned) so can't have been that highly-rated. I also think you're implying that, if he weren't dogged by injuries (which he is), you'd have him over Keogh. Again, absurd.

We don't need to tighten up defensively. Since Mac came in, we had one of the best defensive records in the league. Granted, we gave away some soft goals occasionally but what team doesn't? I just don't get this obsession with trying to change things after the season we just had. If it were up to me, I'd keep everything exactly the same! Let the team continue to grow together and let Mac continue to work his magic with the same core group of players - captain included.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree with pretty much everything you've said there.

Both Buxton and Keogh have been consistently great since Mac has come in. To suggest he doesn't do the job he's paid for is absurd. I genuinely believe you're letting the play-off final mistake cloud your overall judgment.

Whitbread hasn't held a starting job down apart from when he was on loan at Millwall (so neither of the clubs you've mentioned) so can't have been that highly-rated. I also think you're implying that, if he weren't dogged by injuries (which he is), you'd have him over Keogh. Again, absurd.

We don't need to tighten up defensively. Since Mac came in, we had one of the best defensive records in the league. Granted, we gave away some soft goals occasionally but what team doesn't? I just don't get this obsession with trying to change things after the season we just had. If it were up to me, I'd keep everything exactly the same! Let the team continue to grow together and let Mac continue to work his magic with the same core group of players - captain included.

The play off mistake was not what I base my opinion on because it is a opinion I have held since I first saw him at Burton when he had just joined us.Granted he has got better since mac arrived has the whole team has which because of our more attack minded ethos means we no longer sit and try and protect what we had after 60 minutes of a game it makes the opposition  wary of throwing everything at us.The addition of a purely defensive full back in wisdom helped tighten us up has well.

However having said he has improved there still remains the inconsistencies that unless he eradicates means he will never be more than a mid table championship level defender and I would also put Jake at the same level despite his huge leap forwards last season.If we are to progress we need better in that position.I would happily keep what is further up field in the team and add another winger/forward and a cover for martin plus Thorne of course.

The inconsistencies are what lets Keogh down and as was pointed out to me by one of our former international centre backs makes him very difficult to predict for the players playing either side of him.I would never question the commitment of any of the players that appeared for us last season but at times the required decision making was absent but a pre season with mac may improve that.However I still am off the belief that art least one of the central defenders need replacing and that should be Keogh.

Whitebread was the cb second half of the season when norwich were promoted and also became after injury first choice in there prem side but then suffered a further set back.At leicester he was first choice but once more suffered injury both theses are what i am told by a norwich and leicester season ticket holders of many years i work with.

It's be an odd one for him, would this be his best chance of playing PL football or would staying here be a better chance?

I've started to be really impressed with him and Bucko, I feel like they're actually the part of the team that were improved most from the start of the season. Keogh's a good talker on the pitch, but so are Bucko and (possibly) Barker. As the article's said, he has been a consistent performer at this level for 4 years now.

Captain and came in on a supposedly large fee so he'd require a few million IMO.

I've been one of his biggest critics this season, but I'd be sad to see him leave. He's come on really well towards the end of the season. Mistake or no mistake.

We'd be able to replace him though. Out of him and Buxton, he is clearly a step below, yet oddly enough worth more to the outside world.

I like it that way. 

Also, this link is absolutely ********. It may as well be football rumours.  :lol:

Don't get it.

With Keogh we finished 3rd and McClaren wasn't here for the whole season. Keogh is good enough and a great captain with Barker gone surely.

I wouldn't say he's a great captain.

He seems to have the players on his side but he's not a fans captain like Barker was but alas, he is all we have at the moment.

I remember when Eustace stepped in as Captain and he was doing all the shouting and leading, a real experienced Captain...

Who doesn't have shakey legs! new CB and stick Keogh at RB for me.

I wouldn't say he's a great captain.

He seems to have the players on his side but he's not a fans captain like Barker was but alas, he is all we have at the moment.

I remember when Eustace stepped in as Captain and he was doing all the shouting and leading, a real experienced Captain...

Keogh captained us to 3rd in the league what was Barker's highest finish as captain?

If it isn't broken don't try and fix it.

A RB to play along side Keogh and Buxton and then a CB to push for a starting place over those two I think would be better.

You're kidding right? You want to put someone you clearly think isn't technically sound or confident at the position that possibly sees the most of the ball in our team?

Wisdom got away with playing RB because he's quick and strong, quicker than Keogh and unquestionably stronger, but do you really think Keogh would have coped with Lua Lua or Dyer or Hoillett like Wisdom did. I reckon he can probably "do a job" at RB, but that's a Cloughian phrase he said pre-match whenever he was about to play someone really out of position.

That idea's insane, I'm sorry, even if he did play RB at Coventry; they got relegated.

I'm going along with those who're saying if it aint broke, don't fix it. I don't want anyone leaving,

Selling Keogh would be a massive mistake in my opinion. Even if Barks is fit.

He's the captain and a big part of the spirit the squad have got going. Not to mention his influence on the pitch, where, barring a slip or two, he has been absolutely brilliant for most of the season.

There is a squad of players here, who we already know are too good for most of this division. They are PROVEN at this level to be a bit too good for at least 20 other sides already.

Why would we want to shift any of them?

The transfer blokes job is pretty easy for me this summer.

A right back and Thorne in and that's it, done. No need to tinker with what already worked.

You're kidding right? You want to put someone you clearly think isn't technically sound or confident at the position that possibly sees the most of the ball in our team?

Wisdom got away with playing RB because he's quick and strong, quicker than Keogh and unquestionably stronger, but do you really think Keogh would have coped with Lua Lua or Dyer or Hoillett like Wisdom did. I reckon he can probably "do a job" at RB, but that's a Cloughian phrase he said pre-match whenever he was about to play someone really out of position.

That idea's insane, I'm sorry, even if he did play RB at Coventry; they got relegated.

You do have a point, without sounding patronising.

We don't need to make drastic changes but adding to the defense is a must even if we had Wisdom back, as well as some competition for Martin wouldn't go a miss.

I don't think for a second anyone would pay more than we did for Keogh though even after a season like we've just had.

His frailties would be shown without Sir Buxton by his side I feel.

Fingers crossed we splash some cash and make a real go of it this season.

I just can't believe how negative people are about Keogh in this thread. Yeah he isn't a top CB but he is a massive part of the team spirit and work ethic that got us so close to promotion. Most vocal player on the pitch every game this season.

Archived