Richard Keogh

Jenkinson

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when has there been a correlation between league position and the leadership qualities of the captain?

This Arsenal team with Patrick Vieira would win the Premier league season after season, in my opinion. Without him they finish 4th season after season. That is the difference a strong captain can make.  

As much as I do love Keogh and the rest of the defence, the stats dont lie. We conceded the most goals from the top 6 this season, I am not doubting the fact that there are other factors that affect this, such as our very attack minded play, but other teams such as Leicester and Burnley have also scored alot of goals, but conceded less than us, which ultimately, in my opinion, cost us a top 2 position. I cant doubt how much of an improvement Buxton has made over these last few years, especially under Mac, and I believe he is okay for this level, possibly a low prem side. Keogh on the other hand, whilst still playing very consistent, makes too many mistakes for my liking. I know the playoff final was a moment of madness, but there have been many others throughout the season, his backpass that was nearly a goal against Doncaster sticking out. I do believe we need someone with prem experience and who is a very strong capable centre half to accompany Bucko, and if Keogh was to leave, I would be upset, however I think we need to take steps forward and defensive duties I believe (along with corners) are a big thing that needs to improve.

As much as I do love Keogh and the rest of the defence, the stats dont lie. We conceded the most goals from the top 6 this season, I am not doubting the fact that there are other factors that affect this, such as our very attack minded play, but other teams such as Leicester and Burnley have also scored alot of goals, but conceded less than us, which ultimately, in my opinion, cost us a top 2 position. I cant doubt how much of an improvement Buxton has made over these last few years, especially under Mac, and I believe he is okay for this level, possibly a low prem side. Keogh on the other hand, whilst still playing very consistent, makes too many mistakes for my liking. I know the playoff final was a moment of madness, but there have been many others throughout the season, his backpass that was nearly a goal against Doncaster sticking out. I do believe we need someone with prem experience and who is a very strong capable centre half to accompany Bucko, and if Keogh was to leave, I would be upset, however I think we need to take steps forward and defensive duties I believe (along with corners) are a big thing that needs to improve.

Under Nigel: 9 played, 13 conceded

Against Ipswich: 1 played, 4 conceded

Under McClaren: 36 played, 35 conceded

Note that over the same period that Leicester played 37 and conceded 34. Our record was pretty good despite attacking football.

dont really know about wigan after uwe rosler came in or middlesbourough after aitor karanka, so gonna ignore them

1st) Burnley - 37 conceded - 0.804 goals per game

2nd) Brighton - 40 conceded - 0.869 goals per game

3rd) Leicester - 43 conceded - 0.935 goals per game

4th) QPR - 44 conceded - 0.956 goals per game

5th) Derby - 35 conceded in 36 games - 0.972

so since mclaren came in weve been the 5th best defense in the championship, and considering our extremely attacking football, that, i would say is an extremely impressive record to hold.

oh yes... we still cant defend...

Edit:

Under Clough we conceded 13 in 9 - 1.444 goals conceded per game,

over the whole season that puts us as the 18th best (or actually 6th worst) defense in the league, even blackpool have a better defense than that, even they had less (1.434) goals conceded per game

so, only a slight improvement then... giving mac and simmo a whole presason for Jake and keogh would be a completely and utterly waste of time... :ph34r:

How many goals did we concede from set pieces under Clough, say from the start of last season (12/13), compared to McClaren? If our goals conceded from general play was similar and it was set pieces that held Clough's side back.

Archived