Our starting eleven next season

Cisse

Grant

Loan RB    Continental CB   Bucko    Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson  Hendrick

Russell   Martin  Hughes

Subs: Roos, Lowe, Keogh, Eustace, Dawkins, Ward, Bennett

Hughes can (and should) play further forward. Defence is where we really need a bit better, and that's where I think a professional "been there, done that" continental centreback (a la Stimac) will come in and sort us out. The loan RB might be Wisdom.

I'm not sure Hughes is quick enough to play that role but it's an interesting concept. I would like to see it tried out in pre season. Fixes the CM dilemma as well.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant

Brayford   Keogh  Bucko   Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson    Hughes

Russell           Martin        Eagles

Brayford would be a decent option but another RB similar would do the job. I think Eagles would certainly help with our set pieces and every time I have seen I have been impressed, and he's free!

I think it would be unfair to our current defence to do that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! When we go up, yes, but I think our current defence with a Wisdom class RB is easily good enough for this division!

Agreed. But I've not heard much of O'Brian lately, and I wouldn't particularly want Whitbread back, there's better plays on the market we could get. It's always good to have squad depth too.

Grant. Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, New winger, Russell, Martin

Subs : GK, New CB, Eustace, Hendrick, Ward, Dawkins, New striker

My thoughts exactly.

You have a bit of manager in you, don't you? :ph34r:

I believe that Hughes is invaluable at home where teams park the bus and you have to find a hole in a defence, however away from home Hendrick is more useful as he has that indefatigable engine and muscularity that powers from box to box. Bryson should start every game that he is fit. I agree with an earlier poster that Hughes can play high on the right a la Iniesta. He has that one-on-one ability and can cut in well. If he does play high on the right then the right back has to be a bomber though, as Hughes ain't gonna hit the line often.

I'm not sure Hughes is quick enough to play that role but it's an interesting concept. I would like to see it tried out in pre season. Fixes the CM dilemma as well.

It's an interesting idea.

Watching football ("Soccer", not any of that Vickers rubbish) in Australia, I've had a chance to see some interesting takes on the game. Brisbane Roar have been a real force in the A-league in the last 4 or so years, taking out 5 of 8 pieces of silverware on offer, and have done so by playing attacking football. The way they set up is actually incredibly similar in some respects to how we played with Thorne in the team:

DM

CM====CM

RW=============LW

ST

The defensive midfielder did the majority of the passing, sat deep, allowed the others in front of him to play the attacking football, occasionally bursting forward himself. It was pretty much how you'd expect it. Except, that left winger, who is the key man in the team, is in no way quick. He has fast feet yes, he is a brilliant player mentally, but he is not a pacey winger. What he does is get the ball out wide, slow the game down a bit, draw a lot of attention and basically his ability to pass and hold possession draws players. He is a great crosser, capable of beating a player with skill (not pace) and has been the most fouled player in a league (and by a serious margin) that featured Del Piero.

So it is something that might be worth looking into, even if it's just an option. Pace isn't everything out wide, the key thing though is it needs to be a truly special player.

Been through this but if you score 86 goals your obviously going up. We need to tighten up defence. Sign Wisdom and get a permanent CB in to challenge Buxton. We need to tighten up defensively. Should be the most important targets after Thorne.

Buxton this season has been far superior to Keogh. Buxton has been consistently brilliant while Keogh has been prone to mistakes which cost goals.

I agree that a new CB should be brought in. However, it should be to partner Buxton at the back. Buxton is the first name on the team sheet for me at the minute.

I think the defence are getting a harsh deal. When a team plays as attacking as we do were unlikely to have a formidable defensive record.

I think it really comes down to adding some experience and getting another player (like Bamford) who can really get a goal out of nowhere.

We can look back at a number of games which costs us but ultimately it was Birmingham (should of seen it out) and the Bolton and Millwall home games where we looked useless without Martin.

We'll be very lucky if we get another full season out of such a physical player, without him getting injured.

Key signings for me:

Thorne

Martin back up/Plan B

Winger (loan?)

Right back (loan?)

Experienced CB (Would love this to be Barker)

We need a squad, not an eleven. 

I'd go for:

Grant
Roos

New right back (ideally Wisdom)

New centre back (ideally Omerou)

New utility full-back (no idea, Parr?)

Forsyth

Buxton

Keogh

Barker*

O'Brien*
Lowe*
Hanson*

New defensive midfielder (Thorne, not even ideally Thorne... just Thorne)

Bryson

Hughes

Hendrick

Eustace

Coutts

Ward

Russell

Bennett

Dawkins

New winger/striker (like a Bamford type, but stronger through the middle)

Chris Martin.

That'd be where I'd look for first team signings:

Winger/Striker

Centre-back

Right-back

Utility full-back

And defensive midfielder

Interesting that we're supposedly linked with Johnathan Parr. Assuming Parr wants first team football it's ludicrous to be dropping Forsyth. So could we see a team that features Forsyth in a LW role? I don't think he'd be suited personally, not good enough in tight spaces. Or is the idea that Parr will play RB?

In a nutshell... the squad we had last season with 2 defenders for comprehensive cover.

I think the Chris Martin cover is far more critical. If he'd got injured mid-Feb we'd of finished 5/6th at best.

It showed in the Millwall game.

With the talk of 'experienced' players coming in I expect one of them to be a striker. Nugent would be perfect but he's obviously going to give the PL a go. Somebody similar would do the trick.

Interesting that we're supposedly linked with Johnathan Parr. Assuming Parr wants first team football it's ludicrous to be dropping Forsyth. So could we see a team that features Forsyth in a LW role? I don't think he'd be suited personally, not good enough in tight spaces. Or is the idea that Parr will play RB?

Heard a few people say he's actually right footed so I can only assume he'd be coming in at right back.

With Forsyth and Lowe and potentially resigning Naylor another left back would be madness.

Heard a few people say he's actually right footed so I can only assume he'd be coming in at right back.

With Forsyth and Lowe and potentially resigning Naylor another left back would be madness.

He played RB for a whole season when Moxey joined, only when he got injured did he move into the LB slot

Grant

New RB          New CB         Buxton                Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes                      Bryson

Russell                           Martin                        New Winger

Bench:  Roos, RB/LB cover, Keogh, Eustace, Hendrick, Ward, New ST

Archived