Good in the air

Strong

Winning mentality

Decision making

Creating chances for other

Comes across as normal and sensible in interviews

Possible weaknesses:

Obviously not quick, but not slow, especially for someone big and strong

Haven't seen him dribble much, probably cos he'd rather play someone through on goal

Really hope we go up so we can see if he can be effective in Prem

He is a very clever player ,has vision, first touch is very good and that effort against the dogs had it gone in we would still be talking about now.

He takes a kicking every game for us and he is as tough as old boots reminds me alot of John O'Hare ,very unlucky not to win POTY open market value Iwould say £4m if he had real pace £7-8,m to us priceless with our current system of play.

First season that he's hit 20 goals. I'd say based on that maybe £2m?

But he's worth so much more to us. In a team like ours you're not just buying ability. I suppose you're buying the fit of that player in the team, the relationship and understanding with his colleagues (knowing, for example, that they can hit it upfield and he'll be there to bring it down), work rate, club ethos. He ticks all of those.

He's pretty limited in my opinion. He has had a great season but he lacks pace and he isn't really that great in the air. To make the most of him you need a short pass. He controls and returns well to keep possession and can pass the ball. Thereafter he's just a big lump who uses his body strength well in the box. I'd say he's worth about £1.5M too but agree that he has been priceless for us. 

However, I said last year I thought he was a donkey and that we were mad to buy him, so what do I know?!

£150K if you want a forward with pace and for some strange reason you thought Chris Martin would fit that position. However, if you were looking for a centre forward who is reasonable in the air, has superb control when the ball comes to him at any angle, is as strong as an Ox, doesn't lose the ball very often, passes well, can pass instinctively at the right pace for oncoming midfield players to run on to, has a great eye for a goal often getting that foot onto the ball when the defender is favourite to reach it and has a decent shot from free kicks, well you can't have him. At £4M he would be a steal bearing in mind his importance to the team. He is a real John O'Hare type player but if another club came in determined to have him, then I would say that his value to Derby would be around the £7M mark, because we would have to change the way we play, which could mean us having to invest in more than one player to replace him.

Archived