Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

oomarkwright

Kenny Miller released by Vancouver.. He might not be Martin quality but provides us with experience off the bench, I could see him being used as a 65-70th minute sub to hold possession, not too aggressive but someone who can find the net when called on. Could also bring his wisdom to the training ground and help young lads like Bennett to develop.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny Miller released by Vancouver.. He might not be Martin quality but provides us with experience off the bench, I could see him being used as a 65-70th minute sub to hold possession, not too aggressive but someone who can find the net when called on. Could also bring his wisdom to the training ground and help young lads like Bennett to develop.

He could also bring a pish poor attitude, complete lack of effort and only be here for the money. Just like last time.

It´s a big no from me.

I like him as a player, but he seems like a number 10, a role that doesn't exist in our team.

IMO He'd be wasted here unless he develops some decent wingplay.

According to whoscored, he has prominently played outwide this season. Attacking forward too.

Only seven out of his 30 appearances have been played in the middle. I have no idea on the validity, but they're usually very accurate.

I know at United he was considered a right midfielder.

Very very valid point. But is their anything wrong in having 2 10-15 goal wingers? If we had another alongside russell on other flank we would be looking at auto promotion as that will be 50 plus goals from your front 3 already! Goals win games an the more goalscorers we got the better imo, but like your view on what kind of winger you would prefer too mate

Those wingers also tend to cost a fair bit too, money that could be spent on areas where we're much weaker than up top. Also, we have Bryson popping up with 10/15 goals so we are getting 50 goals from 3 players (Russell, Bryson and Martin) and any others that Hendrick, Dawkins and Hughes add, as they've all scored a few this year.

I've just been looking at lists of released players. There are a few decent players out there for the taking.

Matt Fryatt is available. He'd be good in this division.

Stuart Parnaby was released by Boro. Steady RB, McClaren may know him from his time up north. Him & Freeman to compete for RB spot?

Liam Ridgewell released by WBA. A good CB & LB. More than capable in the Championship.

Chris Eagles is available from Bolton. We were reported to be interested in him not long back.

The versatile David Edgar was released by Burnley. The experienced Sean St Ledger also released.

Just a few names to put out there. Mere suggestions!

Very very valid point. But is their anything wrong in having 2 10-15 goal wingers? If we had another alongside russell on other flank we would be looking at auto promotion as that will be 50 plus goals from your front 3 already! Goals win games an the more goalscorers we got the better imo, but like your view on what kind of winger you would prefer too mate

A creative winger that also has the ability to score goals would be perfect. However, goals haven't been the problem this season so a finisher shouldn't be the priority. 

By getting a winger in that can cross well (including set pieces) we will create more chances in a game. We scored 85 goals this season without ever really looking a threat from set-pieces. With a creative player that will 9 times out of 10 produce an end product, we will score even more goals next season, even if it's not his name on the score-sheet.

Liam Ridgewell released by WBA. A good CB & LB.

Snap yr hand off for these two, as long as they were told they were back up players......which they would not be happy with. Fryatt would make a good impact player, not too sure he would fit in here though. Ridgewell will stay in the prem but would be a great signing at CB, trouble is who would you drop?

I've just been looking at lists of released players. There are a few decent players out there for the taking.

Stuart Parnaby was released by Boro. Steady RB, McClaren may know him from his time up north. Him & Freeman to compete for RB spot?

Liam Ridgewell released by WBA. A good CB & LB. More than capable in the Championship.

Chris Eagles is available from Bolton. We were reported to be interested in him not long back.

The versatile David Edgar was released by Burnley. The experienced Sean St Ledger also released.

Just a few names to put out there. Mere suggestions!

Good lord no.

Can someone please point out the difference between Sammon and Miller? 

It is a comparison I considered but for me, Miller is much more of a physical presence. People I think expect Sammon to bully opponents and win the ball in the air just because he looks a unit, but his game, in my opinion, isn't about that and he's actually a lot better running in behind.

For me though, the biggest difference would be confidence. I really do believe Sammon could've been a good player for us, but coming in on a 'Barker like fee' and then not setting the league alight immediately led to fans getting on his back and you could see his confidence drain and his performances deteriorate further.

In some of his sub performances this season I think his general play has improved though and maybe with a good preseason he could put the past behind him. I'd personally love to see him stay and get 7-10 important goals for us next season but I think he more likely needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track. If that is to happen I think Miller would be a decent replacement as a second striker, I'm not suggesting we carry both in the squad.

Weren't we rumored to be interested in Cyrus Christie from Coventry Strong and quick RB. Only 19/20 years old

We were, he's 21 and now has over 100 appearances for Coventry. Meant to be a decent prospect. We were linked under Clough however, any rumours around now are most likely lazy journalism.

We were, he's 21 and now has over 100 appearances for Coventry. Meant to be a decent prospect. We were linked under Clough however, any rumours around now are most likely lazy journalism.

My mate is a Coventry season ticket holder and said he's been awful this season.

Archived