Greatest ever Derby player

King Kevin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie, Charlie, good old Charlie George.

Charlie, Charlie, good old Charlie George.

Oh bugger, I'm gonna have that in my head all day now.

OK, replace it with memories of the Popside singing

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Charlie,

Born is the King of Derby

I remember Steve Bloomer's debute, you could tell there was something special there....

Did great-uncle Utch take you to that game?

When we were League Champions I used to work with some older fans and they used to say that Raich Carter was the best player they had seen at Derby and that included the current crop.

There's a bit here of him in action at 1.30 when he was player manager of Hull. He was 35 or 36 then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsG6RH_JWII

Here is another clip showing him in a training session. Don Revie is easily spotted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhhbBwD4Tk

• 1 year later...

It always amazes me that colin todd isn't picked more in these threads.! I remember the fans voting for the greatest derby county team ever in 2009 and they didn't pick coilin todd in that team. In the clubs 2 most successful seasons 1971/72 and 1975/75 colin todd won the football writers player of year in 1972 and the PFA award in 1975. Todd would also have taken bobby moores place a lot sooner then 1974 had the fa not banned him from playing for england for 2 years. (They did that to keep moore in the side longer). I think the argument to be made that todd could be our greatest ever player is a very strong one. Brian Clough said in 1972 that todd was the best player in the country but in his book he said roy mac was the best england post world centre half. Close one. I go for todd!

Bobby. 

I was was gutted when we sold Kevin Wilson as he better than Bobby at the time. But then Bobby became a Derby great. Deano was then also a top player but Bobby was Derby in a nutshell for a golden period. Never saw Hector but my old man says Kevin Philips is the closest anyone has come to his style and prolific nature. 

Really enjoyed watching Goddard (that chip over big Nev) and Wanchope (Des Lynam and Alan Hansen renaming MOTD to Wanchope Of The Day) amongst others. 

Yep, I like centre forwards.

Archived