Shaun Barker

alexxxxx

Does anyone know how his recovery is going and what Shaun does at the club at the moment? Is he still actively involved as he still is the captain?

Everything seems to have gone a bit quiet about him over the last few months. It's really sad what happened to him at that forest game which seems so long a go now. Looking at his twitter he's started some sprint training now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've said before, I don't think we'll see him playing for the Rams again. It sounds like his recent trip abroad for treatment (Germany, was it?) wasn't too successful and things have indeed gone quiet, so I suspect that, whilst he is no doubt giving 100% to get fit and mobile again, deep down he knows the end goal won't be to make a return for Derby.

I think the club deserves a lot of credit for sticking by him and not casting him adrift considering the severity of his injury and length of absence. I saw a few tweets from his wife in the days after Clough's sacking and I got the impression they were quite worried about what the future might hold, hinting it was Clough himself who was instrumental in renewing Barker's contract, despite his injury.

He's still club captain, but I can see a retirement announcement being made over the summer, and he'll be given a job as a club ambassador (or similar).

Terrible shame all round.

It's a long process, but he's working at it and until I hear differently I'm keeping hope that he'll play again. I think we owe it to him to keep positive and keep any doubts to ourselves. Just my thoughts on it like.

Fingers crossed for the lad.

Would love to see him back for us. Seems like slow progress but progress is progress and its important not to take short cuts or rush things.

However it plays out ultimately, a great reflection on the club that they've stood by him through the nightmare. Many probably wouldn't, I'm just glad that we're the type of club that would.

Would it be ridiculous to bring him on for the final two minutes of our final home game if we had nothing to play for? For the goodbye/standing ovation etc. He did ruin his career in pursuit of beating Forest!

I was thinking that, a run out against Watford would be brilliant.

Would it be ridiculous to bring him on for the final two minutes of our final home game if we had nothing to play for? For the goodbye/standing ovation etc. He did ruin his career in pursuit of beating Forest!

I like that idea a lot, it'd be great to see him back on the pitch before the season ends, even if only for a few minutes.

I like that idea a lot, it'd be great to see him back on the pitch before the season ends, even if only for a few minutes.

But wouldn't that basically be like admitting defeat. If he holds any hope to play regularly again, there's no need for a last hurrah.

Mind you, wouldn't it be great if he came on as sib in the last minute of extra time on the play offs finals. Goes to penalties and he scores the final one in a drogba-esque sign off.

I love all that romantic stuff.

Last gasp header to win the playoff final at Wembley. Runs to the supporters, and rips off his shirt to reveal one of those tshirts with the 3 wolves, howling at the moon, while framed by a dream catcher.

Stuff of legend.

If he was forced to quit, I doubt he would be able to make a last hurrah due to safety concerns for his knee, it will be in bad shape in that scenario. All it would take is a small nudge or twist, even in a cameo appearance to cause big problems for him in the long term.

The guy needs to look after himself and his future and risking is knee for the sake of a couple of minutes in a competitive match is madness.

Such a shame for the guy, but by all accounts his given his all to try and return. Hopefully the club have a longer term role for him should he want it.   

I imagined a final minute cameo. Not competitive at all. Doesn't have to touch the ball. Just so he can receive the applause from the crowd.This is only if he has decided to quit at the end of this season and the team are in a position for it to be possible mind.

We will soon know if his name appears on the subs list for Watford.

I still don't want to think about him not coming back. Even though I know it's a real possibility.

Love him as a player and don't want his career to end like that.

I agree with TheScarlet, if he's not going to play for Derby again after the injury, it would be a really good gesture to get him on the pitch and to give him the captains armband. Even if it's for 30 seconds.

Would it be ridiculous to bring him on for the final two minutes of our final home game if we had nothing to play for? For the goodbye/standing ovation etc. He did ruin his career in pursuit of beating Forest!

Brilliant idea, someone should have a word in Mac's ear :wub:

Or someone email SR,   i think him appearing would be applauded and appreciated by everyone at our club, and wider afield in football... it sends out a very strong message about what type of club we are :rolleyes:

I love all that romantic stuff.

Last gasp header to win the playoff final at Wembley. Runs to the supporters, and rips off his shirt to reveal one of those tshirts with the 3 wolves, howling at the moon, while framed by a dream catcher.

Stuff of legend.

What about the Simpsons scenario where his leg literally comes off at the knee, managing to hit the ball and divert it into the top corner.

If your leg's buggered anyway, then it's a helluva way to go out. Totally worth loosing a leg for.

Archived