Is nostalgia sad? Can the young be nostalgic?

petersimple

Around 1975 a work colleague in his 60s showed me a drawing he had made of a Derby footballer and he asked me if I could guess who it was. I had no idea. I never thought about past Derby teams and I knew very little about the history of Derby County. He said the drawing was of Harry Bedford.  The name didn't ring any bells with me, but I know now he was one of Derby's top all time scorers. In fact, he was still alive then and probably no older than many of the men I chat to in the gym. That colleague was talking about era that to me was so far in the past that he might as well have been talking about Ancient Rome. In 1975 we had the best team in the country and this man was still doing drawings of players who had retired 40 years ago. I couldn't understand it.

I can't remember if I felt sorry for him or whether I thought he was mad. It was probably a combination of both. Yet today, on this messageboard and on dozens of other messageboards around the country, we chat about games and a players from 50 years ago as if it was a normal thing to do. What do the younger posters think about that? Do they think we are sad or even mad?  

Sometimes I think it is impossible for young people ( let's call them under 50s) to be nostalgic. To me 10 years ago or 20 years ago seems just like today. There is no difference. But maybe that is a defect in older people. Perhaps they cease to notice change. When I compare how things were in 1973 compared with 1963 the changes seemed enormous. In 1963 you felt you were living in the 1950s but 1973 was not much different to 1983. I wonder if 2014 seems different to 2004 to a young person.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post.

I can imagine 10 years ago being a lot different to the young uns.

For me? Seems like yesterday, so for me,nothing much changes.

Technology mind you does, and that's a big part of today's youth.

I do love old local history though, not so much football, but industry.

I could happily live through the Tim Ward years again,We weren't fashionable,we weren't successful,yet I thoroughly enjoyed it all.Does that make me a sad case?Who knows.

Nostalgia is a fact of life, we will all do it at some time, the kids on here who are bouyed by this 'new era' under The Mac' will be taiking about it in 20yrs time maybe 40yrs time if it goes really well :rolleyes:

Here's a bit of nostalgia, some 30 years ago (when i was 30) i read something which stuck with me, and has been in the back of my mind as it slowly comes to be true, it read -

' In 50 years time, only 25% of what you know now, will be of any use then' 

:o

So think on young 'uns....

Nostalgia is a fact of life, we will all do it at some time, the kids on here who are bouyed by this 'new era' under The Mac' will be taiking about it in 20yrs time maybe 40yrs time if it goes really well :rolleyes:

Here's a bit of nostalgia, some 30 years ago (when i was 30) i read something which stuck with me, and has been in the back of my mind as it slowly comes to be true, it read -

' In 50 years time, only 25% of what you know now, will be of any use then' 

:o

So think on young 'uns....

Things I knew then that are of no use now :

How to use a slide rule,

How to use a book of logarithms,

I can't think of many other unnecessary skills from those day, but then again I didn't have many skills in the first place.

It's nice to visit the past ,but you would'nt want to live there

Speak for yourself.

I miss the days where the game I love was not run by people obsessed with money.

I also miss the days where fans mattered.

Most of all I miss the dats where lives were not lived on technological devices and over social media (suppose it is ironic typing that on an internet forum)

Nostalgia is more common the older you get as you tend to look back on your youth. The time when you had no responsibilities, boyhood heroes, going the match with like minded mates, so those times are always looked upon as the best. For those of us in our 50's that just happened to be the 1970's........ :D

Speak for yourself.

I miss the days where the game I love was not run by people obsessed with money.

I also miss the days where fans mattered.

Most of all I miss the dats where lives were not lived on technological devices and over social media (suppose it is ironic typing that on an internet forum)

It means mentally ,you have to look forward. If you dwell in the past as you get older it ain't good, everybody needs something to get out of bed for or to keep them going.

To me 10 years ago or 20 years ago seems just like today. There is no difference. But maybe that is a defect in older people. 

I've heard a lot of people say that, but it certainly isn't like that for me. I'm 54, and when I think of things from 10, 20 or 30 years ago, it seems like another world. I think of things I saw, things I did, and things I went through, and it is as though I am thinking about another person, and not me at all. 

Massive difference over the past 10 years. It's coincided with going to home games with my dad/granddad as a young kid, to away games with my mates which provided some of my most fun and embarrassing moments of growing up.

Everything feels the same

Whatever year it is now.

But when you see old photos of films you realise that the 60s and 70s were several lifetimes ago.

Nothings the same.

Its all gone.

P.s. I preferred then.

Well, using 50 as the cut off point between old and young then I'm in the old era. But I don't feel it.

I'm typing this and watching on Sky on my iPad, Chelski v PSG - two 'bought' sides playing in an artificial 'Champions' league on a paid for TV platform in a competition explicitly designed to keep a limited number of clubs in more money, with bigger squads and ever higher paid players, whilst being 'sold' as something else.

I genuinely love new technology that allows me to communicate quickly and easily around the world and to watch good football, and other sports.  I love FaceTime and Skype, though not twitter and Facebook and the like.  I love listening to all of you and hearing different views and memories. I love the many things that are better about today's football

But I hate what football has become overall - the lack of competition, the overpayment of players, the rewriting of history, the gradual diminution of the role fans play, sitting down, ticket prices and kick off times, the preponderance of foreign owners, players and managers, or the concentration of the best players in an ever reducing number of clubs - and for me those not so good elements are not outweighed by the good things.

My son is 22 and we go together home and away.  For all that he is part of the football world of today from the many conversations we have, I know he loves, and has a nostalgia for, the old days - my youth, my football, and especially the Rams

Everything feels the same

Whatever year it is now.

But when you see old photos of films you realise that the 60s and 70s were several lifetimes ago.

Nothings the same.

Its all gone.

P.s. I preferred then.

As all of our genes are replaced at least once every 7 years (some a lot more frequently) we all, literally, aren't the person we used to be. :huh: In fact if our genes were reproduced (copied perfectly) we would upon maturity not age...what a swine the aging/faulty copying process eh.

I don't think it's sad at all. I love hearing about the old games.

What's the point in supporting a club which was a founder member of the Football League if you're not going to bother learning about the past?

I agree. I love all old football experiences.

Thing is, I haven't got any stories to tell. What age does that happen?

Oh yeah, we invaded the pitch at FT v Palace, a Leicester fan once confused me for a fellow Leicester fan during some trouble at Filbert St and tried to protect me from Derby fans. I saw the floodlights fail against Wimbledon, a team that no longer exists.

Not going to be getting calls from Hollywood is it?

It's not looking good either. In 20 years time I might be able to say I was there when Derby finished 20pts behind Arsenal. We bought a player for £15m

Ooooooooooooh

Archived