Our owners.

climbon

Tom Glick, pretty much like Nigel Clough was what was needed at the time. Safe pair of hands and experience in building solid sports business foundations.

Nigel steadied the ship slowly and sensibly on the playing side. Tom Glick the same on commercial and overall business side.

Time to move on from both? Yes..most certainly, but make no mistake they both made huge efforts for our club and left it in a very good state for Sam Rush and Steve McLaren to take over and move us on.

Precisely, Glick couldn't have been that bad, otherwise why would Manchester City, who can pretty much have anyone they want, have snatched him of us.

Aside from Jewell (and it's even possible some of his bad decisions were as a result of trying desperately to clean up Billy tw@t-face's mess), we've had pretty much the right personnel in the right positions at the right times, on and of the pitch.

Our upward curve has been slow, and we've needed patience. Other clubs hav been able to get a shot in the arm and leap straight up the leagues (Southampton), we didn't do it that way, we did it another way. And the GSE way is just as valid and ultimately could be just as successful, and probably one that a lot of clubs will try to emulate.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They threw money at Jewell when they arrived, and got their fingers burned.  I don't blame them for a moment for being cautious this time around.

Spending a load of cash guarantees absolutely sod all.  Do you see Burnley fans moaning that they haven't spent the money they got for Rodriguez and Austin?

Our owners are doing a superb job.  Since October and the unveiling of this new club structure and strategy they've secured increased revenue through advertising/stadium naming rights, announced plans to further upgrade the Academy to make it amongst the best around, expanded the scouting network, improved our relationships with other clubs in order to get great prospects in on loan and brought in a far superior coaching staff to the one we had before.

"Boo! Where's the Brayford money?!"

TobyWanKenobi

If we were 14th now rather than 3rd with the same investment you'd be saying quite the opposite!

And if my mum had b*llocks, she'd be my dad.

They threw money at Jewell when they arrived, and got their fingers burned.  I don't blame them for a moment for being cautious this time around.

Spending a load of cash guarantees absolutely sod all.  Do you see Burnley fans moaning that they haven't spent the money they got for Rodriguez and Austin?

Our owners are doing a superb job.  Since October and the unveiling of this new club structure and strategy they've secured increased revenue through advertising/stadium naming rights, announced plans to further upgrade the Academy to make it amongst the best around, expanded the scouting network, improved our relationships with other clubs in order to get great prospects in on loan and brought in a far superior coaching staff to the one we had before.

"Boo! Where's the Brayford money?!"

It does seem like your owners know what they are doing, and with what's been going on 15 miles down the A52 - and elsewhere - you guys must be relieved. City fans are similarly pleased with our owners, especially as the first few words of LongEastonRam's post bring back a feeling of déja vu all over again. Change "Jewell" for "Eriksson", and that applies directly to City. Thankfully, we got Pearson back, but it was a close-run thing.

Best of luck tonight: it could be a tough one, though Ipswich are very inconsistent. But at least you still have a manager.

I've never really had a problem with them. I just expect them to give us a fair chance. You don't buy a football club to make a quick return do you? I don't expect then to chuck QPR style millions about. It's REAL money! Somebody has worked for that.

But I do expect it to reflect realistic ambitions. You pay peanuts... etc. you can't have champagne taste and beer pockets. You want us to be the best of the rest after the silly spenders? Then pay the wages that show we are the next best thing

What put me off the board was the ***** that Glick used to come out with. He was from the same school of thought as Fawaz. I know he's moved up in the world but I'm glad I don't have to hear his *****.

'When the FFP...'

'The FFP....

'The next Portsmouth...'

'...be like Rangers'

'Global brand'

So basically we'll be on top of a massive pile of rubble when all these idiotic clubs finish chucking money about. Erm, just how exactly can spending what you earn possibly make us as big as Liverpool or United?

Oh wait, you can't answer me because you've gone to Man City

Atleast Rush talks realistically.

Don't be surprised to see the accounts out this week. This week is a good week to bury bad news

This week also marks the companies house filing deadline for June year end accounts (ish), so I would imagine it's very likely.

I would expect no surprises either, our owners are smart. Losses of around £8m to comply with, and push the limits of, the FFP regs, you heard it here first  :ph34r:

Precisely, Glick couldn't have been that bad, otherwise why would Manchester City, who can pretty much have anyone they want, have snatched him of us.

Aside from Jewell (and it's even possible some of his bad decisions were as a result of trying desperately to clean up Billy tw@t-face's mess), we've had pretty much the right personnel in the right positions at the right times, on and of the pitch.

Our upward curve has been slow, and we've needed patience. Other clubs hav been able to get a shot in the arm and leap straight up the leagues (Southampton), we didn't do it that way, we did it another way. And the GSE way is just as valid and ultimately could be just as successful, and probably one that a lot of clubs will try to emulate.

Please see Glicka s current role at Manchester City compared to what he did here.

This week also marks the companies house filing deadline for June year end accounts (ish), so I would imagine it's very likely.

I would expect no surprises either, our owners are smart. Losses of around £8m to comply with, and push the limits of, the FFP regs, you heard it here first  :ph34r:

Hardly "heard it here first" as I've already pointed out that SR is alleged to have cited this figure at a recent fans gathering.For FFP purposes,£8m is the figure for this year,as opposed to that about to be reported on.Even if you'd got the correct year,the headline loss has to be adjusted for depreciation and net youth development expenditure,so a £8m headline loss would put us comfortably inside FFP.

Please see Glicka s current role at Manchester City compared to what he did here.

Enlighten me

Unless he's been employed as a tea boy, he's been employed on some sort of merit. Maybe not the same job, I know he's not running the whole of Man City like he effectively was here, but the point is that he must be pretty good at something, with more than a few transferable skills, and clearly valued and respected for what he does.

I do think he was probably the right man at the right time for us, the point of the discussion is that the owners have, by and large, made some shrewd appointments. Now Sam Rush is the right man at the right time.

Enlighten me

Unless he's been employed as a tea boy, he's been employed on some sort of merit. Maybe not the same job, I know he's not running the whole of Man City like he effectively was here, but the point is that he must be pretty good at something, with more than a few transferable skills, and clearly valued and respected for what he does.

I do think he was probably the right man at the right time for us, the point of the discussion is that the owners have, by and large, made some shrewd appointments. Now Sam Rush is the right man at the right time.

Was just pointing out he's head of commercial stuff there. Something that probably suits him better.

Wasn't a big fan of Glick to be honest, seemed happy to sit on the fence and try and keep everyone happy.

This is why I prefer Rush, not frightened to make a decision whether fans like us think he's right or wrong.

Enlighten me

Your right he was good on the commercial side of things. Introducing new revenue streams, work on FFP, etc. 

But his performance on the footballing side of things was not so impressive according to some. I think even NC came out and alluded to this whilst maintaining than Glick was trying. I think it was after Sammon went to Wigan. 

Anyways everything I have said is FACT and don't anyone dare question it. 

Another FACT is that Kenny Burns is a colossal (and I mean colossal) cnut.

Didn't Tom Glick go to be a Financial Director at City? How easy must that be

"Ah, let's take a look at the financial accounts for this year..."

Then he just holds up a big bit of paper that says "FILTHY F*CKING RICH £££" with a contented, smug look on his face.

Didn't Tom Glick go to be a Financial Director at City? How easy must that be

"Ah, let's take a look at the financial accounts for this year..."

Then he just holds up a big bit of paper that says "FILTHY F*CKING RICH £££" with a contented, smug look on his face.

There's far more to it than that.

He'd have had to prepare a 32 slide powerpoint presentation to justify it...............

I think that the owners made two big mistakes – which have both now been corrected – and neither were on a disastrous scale.

The first was Paul Jewell. Although he came in just before GSE, I believe that he was appointed with their approval. He turned out to be a terrible choice and squandered the Premier League money. His bad buys have only recently ceased hampering the club. That said, he seemed like a decent appointment at the time, so we can’t blame Appleby and co. too much. A mistake certainly, but an understandable one.

The second was Tom Glick, or at least the policy that the club followed with him at the helm. Once ‘Plan A’ failed (get a good manager and let him get us straight back up using the rump of the previous promotion squad, plus any resources gained by wheeling and dealing of the expensive Premier League acquisitions), ‘Plan B’ was to show these Brits how some proper American management could work. Lots of attention to PR, gimmicks and special offers, whilst starving the manager of funds to improve things on the pitch. This was a drive towards self-sufficiency. There was a firm belief that Derby County could buck the trend of a decade and compete at the top end of the Championship without losing money. It might well be understandable from an investor’s point of view, but that doesn’t make it any less naïve. The riches of the Premier League distort the costs of running a second tier club so much – too many owners throw money at the dream. You can’t break even in the Championship without risking relegation, and your on-pitch downsizing automatically triggers of-pitch downsizing.

Fortunately, that policy seems to have walked out the door with Tom Glick. It is my opinion that Sam Rush is a far better prospect as CEO. Having met Sam on a few occasions he comes across as a thoroughly likeable individual with the club’s best interests at heart. However, I’ve been around for long enough to understand that much of this is just a professional veneer. He was involved in a very successful sports agency firm; therefore, he is almost certainly a snake. He knows the shady back room world inside out. He won at being underhand, greedy and selfish. Sadly, that makes him a perfect choice for our CEO. He is the man to make every penny spent on players count.

Sam Rush also seems to have convinced the owners that cost cutting has no future and they just have to bite the bullet and cough up the cash to put a competitive team on the pitch. They have made it clear that they won’t try to out-muscle the big spenders, but will, at least, compete with the rest. This will make promotion difficult, but at least not impossible. I think that it’s also interesting that GSE themselves appear to have been completely marginalised. Sam Rush appears to answer to the owners, with no management company in the middle. That is a far better prospect and seems to have brought the owners closer to the club. Brett Wilson certainly seems to be a converted Ram.

At this point I’m really quite happy with our owners and both the off-field and on-field management set ups. The only real problem I see is how long will they be willing to bank role the club for? I’d also quite like to know why the accounts haven’t emerged yet.

Good post, but do you think the investment has changed post-Glick? II thought money spent has been pretty stable each season and Brayford's sale was the best player we've let go.

Their approach has been to slowly turn an overpaid poor squad with players that no one wanted into a fairly sustainable squad, full of decent players with even a strong bench.

They got the right man in Clough to change this round. We'll never know if he would have taken us to the next level, but no one can say they haven't bought in a great management team since.

In the crazy world of football, we have a stability others dream of. It was a bit dull for a while, but we are starting to reap the rewards now. Other clubs could learn a lot from us. One down the round especially.

Good post, but do you think the investment has changed post-Glick? II thought money spent has been pretty stable each season and Brayford's sale was the best player we've let go.

Their approach has been to slowly turn an overpaid poor squad with players that no one wanted into a fairly sustainable squad, full of decent players with even a strong bench.

They got the right man in Clough to change this round. We'll never know if he would have taken us to the next level, but no one can say they haven't bought in a great management team since.

In the crazy world of football, we have a stability others dream of. It was a bit dull for a while, but we are starting to reap the rewards now. Other clubs could learn a lot from us. One down the round especially.

We had a dream of sustainability, but that is no more. We are now in a position where we can just about compete, but rely on a significant investment/loan from the owners every season. This is a significant improvement as not long ago we were relying on the owners to put in similar funds, but we weren't even competitive. Certainly this is in large part due to Nigel, but the current management have also added a little in terms of getting more out of some players and being nore attractive to better quality loanees.

Although the investment level has not changed, what has changed is the pressure on the manager to downsize. There is a big difference for a manger having a (hypathetical figure alert) £10m wage budget, but being told it needs to be £9m, so replacements have to be cheaper and a manger with a £10m wage budget that is acceptable - replacements just have to be better.

The problem with driving for sustainabilty - ie cutting wages as that is by far and away the biggest cost, is that it bores the customers, Thus, for all the money you save in wages, you get a reduced income. This means that you end up having to still put the same amount in to balance the books. Then there is the problem that if you keep trying to reduce wages you are likely to fall through the relegatio trap door before you get to self sufficiency. Thus makeing a drive to sustainabily unsustainable.

The moral of the story is don't buy a Championship club if you want to make a profit - it is impossible without promotion.

Archived