Our owners.

climbon

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have felt this ever since Sam Rush came in. He won't be to everyone's tastes but he seems to have been a great link for the board, management and fans. Our owners may have been guilty in the past of relying on a soft approach but they seem much more realistic and engaged this season from the fans forums to Brett Wilson's interviews to the Sam and John love in podcasts.

Only concern I have is what happens if we don't go up, will we keep our squad or will we be forced into sales? Having said that, I can put this to one side until the summer!

COYR

If we were 14th now rather than 3rd with the same investment you'd be saying quite the opposite!

Maybe, but we're not in 14th, we're in third. So that's a bit of a pointless statement.

Chelsea might be saying what a great manager Mourinho is, would it not be a pointless statement to say that they wouldn't be thinking that if they were mid-table?

They pay the bills on time, players get paid, players are signed, they don't try to pick the team or force players on the manager and they are not talking ****** to the media.

What more do you want?.....more investment? Yeah and if they gave us more people would still want more and more money guarantees nothing, just ask QPR and Forest fans.

They get a thumbs up from me.

If you love them so much why don't you marry them?

Problems handling the truth? What a strange statement to make... On the other hand, if I dont have any good points in a discussion I also say something stupid out of context. Sorry, Now I understand you.....

Also.... Are you allowed to marry more than one person in England? Dont force a Ramfan into crime... And being married to ONE is a full time job... more than one.... OMG... ;) Daveo is only human....

If we were 14th now rather than 3rd with the same investment you'd be saying quite the opposite!

What a pointless argument...what if we were in league 1? What if we were in the prem by now? Would manure fans be unsure about Moyes if they were 10 points clear at the top?

We are where we are, and for the money put in compared to the teams around us, 3rd is good enough for me!!

I think that the owners made two big mistakes – which have both now been corrected – and neither were on a disastrous scale.

The first was Paul Jewell. Although he came in just before GSE, I believe that he was appointed with their approval. He turned out to be a terrible choice and squandered the Premier League money. His bad buys have only recently ceased hampering the club. That said, he seemed like a decent appointment at the time, so we can’t blame Appleby and co. too much. A mistake certainly, but an understandable one.

The second was Tom Glick, or at least the policy that the club followed with him at the helm. Once ‘Plan A’ failed (get a good manager and let him get us straight back up using the rump of the previous promotion squad, plus any resources gained by wheeling and dealing of the expensive Premier League acquisitions), ‘Plan B’ was to show these Brits how some proper American management could work. Lots of attention to PR, gimmicks and special offers, whilst starving the manager of funds to improve things on the pitch. This was a drive towards self-sufficiency. There was a firm belief that Derby County could buck the trend of a decade and compete at the top end of the Championship without losing money. It might well be understandable from an investor’s point of view, but that doesn’t make it any less naïve. The riches of the Premier League distort the costs of running a second tier club so much – too many owners throw money at the dream. You can’t break even in the Championship without risking relegation, and your on-pitch downsizing automatically triggers of-pitch downsizing.

Fortunately, that policy seems to have walked out the door with Tom Glick. It is my opinion that Sam Rush is a far better prospect as CEO. Having met Sam on a few occasions he comes across as a thoroughly likeable individual with the club’s best interests at heart. However, I’ve been around for long enough to understand that much of this is just a professional veneer. He was involved in a very successful sports agency firm; therefore, he is almost certainly a snake. He knows the shady back room world inside out. He won at being underhand, greedy and selfish. Sadly, that makes him a perfect choice for our CEO. He is the man to make every penny spent on players count.

Sam Rush also seems to have convinced the owners that cost cutting has no future and they just have to bite the bullet and cough up the cash to put a competitive team on the pitch. They have made it clear that they won’t try to out-muscle the big spenders, but will, at least, compete with the rest. This will make promotion difficult, but at least not impossible. I think that it’s also interesting that GSE themselves appear to have been completely marginalised. Sam Rush appears to answer to the owners, with no management company in the middle. That is a far better prospect and seems to have brought the owners closer to the club. Brett Wilson certainly seems to be a converted Ram.

At this point I’m really quite happy with our owners and both the off-field and on-field management set ups. The only real problem I see is how long will they be willing to bank role the club for? I’d also quite like to know why the accounts haven’t emerged yet.

In comparison to Leeds, Hull, Forest etc, then yeah, they're the puppies swingers.

But I only like Sam Rush because he's a hard nosed businessmen currently working in the best interests of my club. Who just so happens to have made some good decisions.

I wouldn't want to join him for a pint or anything.

Fundamentally though, I still think that the whole spin on the general lack of investment in the club over the last 7-8yrs, being done to be 'right and proper and fall in line with ffp' etc, is just spin.

We're owned by a huge sporting conglomerate and the idea that the decisions that are made are for the good of the fans, I don't entirely swallow.

They bought us as an investment. That hasn't given them the rewards they want.

And when we go up. They will sell us.

And I don't think they'll care if it's to dodgy Ivan from Moscow or Fawaz II.

What a pointless argument...what if we were in league 1? What if we were in the prem by now? Would manure fans be unsure about Moyes if they were 10 points clear at the top?

We are where we are, and for the money put in compared to the teams around us, 3rd is good enough for me!!

Billy ?, is that you ?

Tom Glick, pretty much like Nigel Clough was what was needed at the time. Safe pair of hands and experience in building solid sports business foundations.

Nigel steadied the ship slowly and sensibly on the playing side. Tom Glick the same on commercial and overall business side.

Time to move on from both? Yes..most certainly, but make no mistake they both made huge efforts for our club and left it in a very good state for Sam Rush and Steve McLaren to take over and move us on.

But based on investment, it's been poor. We're playing well, but our investment has been minimal based on Brayford leaving. Fact

But they've shown that they haven't necessarily needed to invest. I applaud them for showing a different way. Whether they've done that for profit making reasons, or just to be sensible, whatever, the investment they've given has been enough to get us to third, on a different day it could be second, on yet anothe day it could be 7th, burg there is nothing here to moan about.

Would you have wanted them to go out in January and spunk 2.5m on a Cox-like striker to replace Martin?

No, they've invested what they needed to on the players they needed to, and their real trump card ha been to employ managers that have been able to get the best out of these players, meaning they've not had to spend the earth.

My hat's off to them, and I think there are a lot of other teams in this division and others that are very envious of us right now.

Archived