George Thorne..

Antonedcfc

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't think he was outstanding, had a steady game and only thing I remember him doing of any note was through ball to Bamford the penalty.

I sort of think that's what you need from a player in that position though. Not trying anything flashy, just someone who quietly gets on with acting as a barrier and breaking down the play in the middle.

I agree that Greening and Moussi were absolute toilet though, but I think Thorne did exactly what was needed (and what Eustace has been doing all season)

Think both Eustace and Hughes are going to have to work hard in training over the next few days to claim their spots back. Wouldn't surprise me if McClaren kept the same XI for Ipswich to be honest. If for no other reason than it would be a bit of a slap in the face for the players who'd just beaten their local rivals by the biggest scoreline in over 100 years if they were replaced for the next game. We need to ride the crest of this wave of confidence and I think all the starting eleven deserve to keep their places based on Saturday's performance.

He looked a bit rusty early on, and tired towards the end, but you'd expect that given his lack of game time.  Otherwise, I thought he looked good - he's far bigger than I was expecting (for some reason I had him down as a slight, ball playing DM, not a big physical one), but he looked composed on the ball, decent in the air and did his defensive job well.  He did well to pick out the ball to Bamford and he did excellently tracking a run from Paterson in the first half - given what we'd heard of Paterson, I expected him to be lightning quick, but Thorne made up 5 yards on him.

Very difficult first game. Not fair to comment but as we are........I would say he looked a bit lost in the occasion and gave me no reason to think we needed to consider him first choice in the games ahead and not ahead of eustace.

I would choose him over Eustace every time. Eustace only brings experience. He is no where near quick enough or athletic enough to cover the ground required to let the other midfielders do what they need to do. We have seen that with Thorne and previously with Cisse.

I thought he looked quality - got on with the job he was on the pitch to do quietly and efficiently, just what you want from a player in that position. Granted, it wouldnt have been the hardest game of his career against a poor Forest midfield, but he did plenty of tidying up, was always available for the ball and allowed Bryson the freedom of the park and Hendrick to push on as well.

Couple of times Keogh and Bucko drove on he simply filled their space. Some good work on Paterson and Majewski. 

All good as far as Im concerned, especially as it was his debut and he hasn't played footie for ages.

There were a few signs that he hadn't played for some time - he got tangled up with a couple of headers at times with Keogh, tiring towards the end. But for a debut, I was impressed. He'll definitely start against Ipswich as Eustace is still suspended, and I think his performance there will be key to whether he drops back to the bench for the Charlton game. Personally, I think he's worth leaving him in for a run of games, maybe even until the end of the season.

Would be happy if we signed him permanently at the end of the season, no matter which league we are in. Probably unlikely, considering he only signed an new/extended contract just before we took him on loan, but wasn't that under previous management?

Very good debut, as stated above, he did sometimes go for balls that he could have left but that understanding will come with more game time.

Shame he can't be ours - he is just what we need moving forward in the next few years.

Would still alternate with Eustace, as his leadership skills are very useful. Will Thorne be eligible for the play-offs?

I was impressed. Didn't think the yellow did phase him really, I think that yellow was about the only poor thing he did.

Thought the challenge was exactly the right thing to do. Players out of position, they were breaking with pace. Tactical foul, ask East Kent Ram about those.

Or superb today until Charlton got into our half and put some sustained pressure on, which wasn't until the second half. First half he was brilliant, everything went through him and he was always in the right place at the right time, but then we were totally dominant.

Second, he faded and struggled a little - this could be because he had played three games in a week, or that he was injured, or that he struggled under pressure. Or all three. Or a combination. I don't know. 

Or superb today until Charlton got into our half and put some sustained pressure on, which wasn't until the second half. First half he was brilliant, everything went through him and he was always in the right place at the right time, but then we were totally dominant.

Second, he faded and struggled a little - this could be because he had played three games in a week, or that he was injured, or that he struggled under pressure. Or all three. Or a combination. I don't know.

Charlton pretty man marked him in 2nd half that was why and his legs were gone. Perfect substitution at right time today

Archived