George Thorne..

Antonedcfc

Or superb today until Charlton got into our half and put some sustained pressure on, which wasn't until the second half. First half he was brilliant, everything went through him and he was always in the right place at the right time, but then we were totally dominant.

Second, he faded and struggled a little - this could be because he had played three games in a week, or that he was injured, or that he struggled under pressure. Or all three. Or a combination. I don't know.

You have to give Charlton some credit for the way they started the second half but yes he was struggling with an injury at the end of the first half .

Eustace did great when he came on so nice to have competition for places .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, if I was a charlton fan seeing how they played for a spell in the second half I'd be wondering what the hell was going on in the first when they were completely inept. Throwing three up at the start of the second half undoubtedly gave them the impetus and you're right, piggott I think his name was got put on Thorne so that he no longer had the freedom of the iPro.

In terms of the subs, as I said in the match day thread, they were perfectly timed and both Eustace and Sammon had a big impact on proceedings, be in calming and organising at one end and hounding the charlton defence at the other.

piggott I think his name was got put on Thorne so that he no longer had the freedom of the iPro.

Piggott was a centre forward who replaced Sordell.

Think we need to see him play against a Championship side first.

He did well but so did Cisse against Sheffield Wed.

what kind of ignorant nonsense are you spewing now? Are Sheff Wednesday playing in a different division to Derby?

Thorne has been excellent.

He will be an England International. Almost certainly.

He is 20 years old.

I don't know finite on the cards, but I think it would be incredible if we could sign him either on a. Permanent or another loan for next season. Although, to be fair I think that's probably true of all the loanees, and I guess we'll just have to accept that is unlikely to happen with most of them.

But maybe we get to keep one or two, and seeing as Eustace is probably into his last good season, it woul be great if Thorne was one we get to keep.

I don't know finite on the cards, but I think it would be incredible if we could sign him either on a. Permanent or another loan for next season. Although, to be fair I think that's probably true of all the loanees, and I guess we'll just have to accept that is unlikely to happen with most of them.

But maybe we get to keep one or two, and seeing as Eustace is probably into his last good season, it woul be great if Thorne was one we get to keep.

Bamford is a take or leave for me. He would work at a big club. Not tracking back, just pulling out the show boat.

Wisdom is struggling. But Mostyn suggested to me that perhaps that's half Bamford dropping him in it. Observed today with that in mind, and I reckon his has a point.

Thorne is the one for me. Seems to have real quality.

Take every attribute you need to be a top DM and (obviously rough in many areas. He is a kid) he ticks every box.

I look forward to seeing him grow. At Derby or WBA.

he looked good first half when he had the freedom of Pride Park, they played so deep and gave him acres to work in. 

Second half he wasn't so good when they set about him a bit.

INjury, yes, sure, but he's played well against dogs hit two weeks running. I like the player, but I won;t start getting overexcited about him yet.

Hendrick meanwhile, is starting to hit his straps. A fit firing Jeff is immense at this level and could make the difference.

Eustace clinched the game when he came on, I thought he was magnificent for half an hour.

So many people seem to have it in for Bamford, but do you know what?

He is the ONE player in the side likely to fire us into the Premier League. Someone earlier likened him to Lineker. Others have likened him to Clarke, others to Greaves. He's different - a kid who just lopes his way through games, cocking things up, looking ungainly, running into cul-de-sacs - but then he makes a goal, scores a goal and the game is over as a contest.

Don't ask me how. I'm not as clever as you lot who like to analyse every aspect of the manager's selection - but I've seen it all before.

I sort of think that's what you need from a player in that position though. Not trying anything flashy, just someone who quietly gets on with acting as a barrier and breaking down the play in the middle.

I agree that Greening and Moussi were absolute toilet though.....

Just trying to get my bearings on the scale being used. Assuming the scale ranges from 'a bit on the nose' through to ''a steaming pile of horse tish', where exactly is 'absolute toilet'?

Thorne has been excellent.

He will be an England International. Almost certainly.

He is 20 years old.

Yep. And, turning our thoughts to what may happen next season, I for one would love to keep him whether we end up promoted or not.

But then I also would move heaven and earth to keep Will Hughes and sign Bamford, things which could only happen if we do win promotion.

And, as happened last time, the ability to do these things is hampered if you are promoted via the play offs. Mind you, there may be two differences this season....First, although 10 points with 7 games to go is a big margin, I'm still waiting for Burnley to wake up that they don't belong in the rarified air of automatic promotion and collapse late opening up second (no, I don't suffer amnesia, just a wonderful case of Desideratum Ponderum). Clearly, 'Arry and Rangers are to schitzo to stand in the way should that happen.

Second, I can't see McClaren startling kiddies by sunning himself on leave should we win promotion, nor starting an internal war the second the whistle blew at Wembley.

So many people seem to have it in for Bamford, but do you know what?

He is the ONE player in the side likely to fire us into the Premier League. Someone earlier likened him to Lineker. Others have likened him to Clarke, others to Greaves. He's different - a kid who just lopes his way through games, cocking things up, looking ungainly, running into cul-de-sacs - but then he makes a goal, scores a goal and the game is over as a contest.

Don't ask me how. I'm not as clever as you lot who like to analyse every aspect of the manager's selection - but I've seen it all before.

I've closed the page now and can't be tasted to go look for it again, but on Sky Sports news the main focus of the match report is Mac applauding Bamford's work rate, acknowledging that he's out of position, but saying he's purposefully been given the freedom to roam inside.

It all seems to be part if the plan. But this isn't a Banford thread, so I'll stop there before I get told off.

Thorne seems to be class. Do we have more chance if keeping him if WBA are relegated or stay up?

Did anyone read his interview in the match day program? Said that any player wants to play in the premier league, whether it's with West Brom OR Derby... I know he's just signed a long term deal with Albion but if we were to go up, and they were to be relegated or even Pepe Mel wanted a new structure if they were to stay up, he'd be a very good signing.

Flawless game yesterday minus the one slip when he let the ball come across his body, their striker probably should have made it 2-1 there.

Half the reason Bamford's being seen as playing badly is because he's a second striker, not a winger. He does a decent job at RW but he won't play there much when he's older. Doesn;t have the skill or work ethic of JR or Wardy. He'd be suited well to a 4-4-2, in fact him and Martin would be deadly.

Same goes for Wisdom's criticism, we've got probably the best CB in the league but he's playing at RB! Thorne's impressed people because he's come in and played a position which is his. He slots right into the team, no problem at all.

If we went up I'd want all 3 of them back, Wisdom most of all; but play him at CB! As much as I love Bucko, part of me wishes we'd not got Whitbread back in but used that money to get a RB in on loan (Brayford anyone), while shifting Wisdom into CB with Keogh.

If we went up I'd want all 3 of them back, Wisdom most of all; but play him at CB! As much as I love Bucko, part of me wishes we'd not got Whitbread back in but used that money to get a RB in on loan (Brayford anyone), while shifting Wisdom into CB with Keogh.

You really need to watch Derby play every now and again.

At this time of season you need to stick with players who have got us where we are. So always eustace or Hughes before Thorne and Russell and ward before Dawkins and bamford

Eustace plays with just a little more urgency than Thorne. It's quite easy to sit off in unthreatening positions and shuffle the ball from side to side. Thorne will get better certainly but not first choice yet.

Archived