Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really sure what that is referring to so can't comment.

But there again, as you don't even know what Vicars role within the club is, I am not sure how you can decide the he is forgetting his remit. Would hardly describe CEO and FD as 'backroom staff'.

Why the hell not? It didn't bloody stop you going off on a personal one in the Bamford thread and you didn't have a frigging clue what I was getting at there.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Nigel.

Let's face it nobody knows what Nigel would have eventually achieved here at our club on this forum, because the board booted him out and we can only assume, predict, guess etc and keep doing it, if we choose to carry it on.

But unlike his dad who walked away from us, Nigel was told to go. And now for a team in red, black and white Nigel seems to be doing alright.

I'm sure if we played Sheff Utd right now or if we do play Sheff Utd pretty soon, I know who'll be walking away with a cheeky smile on his face after the game(s).

Anyway I'm a Hull lad, born in Hull, a lot of my family are Hull City supporters and I predicted this semi final to family, before Sheff Utd beat the Gumps and Hull beat Brighton etc.

It’s going to be a very close game and whatever happens, two Yorkshire sides get to Wembley, knowing they are only one game away from a European spot,

And if Nigel’s team do it, well good for him and Sheffield United for employing him.

And yes I know we are 3rd in the league, but I know you don’t win anything in March and I don’t know if we are going to Wembley this season, or if we are going to Wembley next season or the next etc and I don’t know if we are going to go up automatically under this new management team next season or the next or the next etc and I’m afraid for all of us, that is only something we can only assume, predict, guess etc but I do know one fact, the Blades are going to Wembley this season and so is Nigel Clough, so well done Nigel and before anyone tells me to go and watch the Blades or Hull City instead. I’m just praising a guy, that deserves such praise for the work he’s currently doing.

Oh and didn’t we win away 1-5 at Millwall this season under Nigel Clough, he must have been doing something alright at our club, and I’ll always be thankful for the good work he did and I will always give him a warm welcome when he comes back to our club.

I've posted a few Paul Heaton songs on here, what with Paul Heaton being a Blade and with his Hull connections, so I think it's time for me to go and listen to "Happy Hour" a song that has it's go at men in suits, because some of them don’t know as much about football as they might have you believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TMUJIWwyI

I like Clough, and wish him well where ever he goes, providing it's not Forest. That being said, we would not be 3rd if he'd stayed. I didn't agree with how it happened, but what's happened since has proven that it was right to let him go.

Nothing against him though. He was the right man at the right time for us for a while. Just couldn't take us to the 'next level'. McClaren has.

I'll be cheering on Sheff Utd in their SF. Wish it was us, but I'd rather be 3rd in the Championship.

I like Clough, and wish him well where ever he goes, providing it's not Forest. That being said, we would not be 3rd if he'd stayed. I didn't agree with how it happened, but what's happened since has proven that it was right to let him go.

Nothing against him though. He was the right man at the right time for us for a while. Just couldn't take us to the 'next level'. McClaren has.

I'll be cheering on Sheff Utd in their SF. Wish it was us, but I'd rather be 3rd in the Championship.

You say you'd rather be third in the championship, but if rather be second. Although this is all great times at the top en of the table, at the end of the day, I we end up third and don't go up through the play offs, then we might as well be 14th where Nigel left us, or even 21st. Doesn't make a great deal of difference.

So I get Inveruries point. We might finish third this season, and that might be as high as we ever get. Next season could be a total disaster.

I'd rather stay positive, hope we can still snatch second, hope well do well in the playoffs, or hope, at least, that this season gives us a good platform to launch from next season. But it's all based on hope. Sheffield United have a guaranteed place at wembley, which must be nice for them.

Having said that, a semi final place doesn't guarantee you a place in the final, and certainly doesn't guarantee you a trophy. Just like coming third in the championship. It's a nice feeling, but ultimately it doesn't get you anywhere. They might as well have gone out in the third round, unless they pull off a proper miracle and actually win the thing.

I give it a year/2 max at Sheff U.

They could well go up next season I acknowledge that, but when talk of the PL comes about it will all come undone.

Whether we go up or not it will be nice to have a summer of being linked with decent players we know, rather than Falkirk's reserve left back. 

SU obviously won't be favourites to make the final but I'm looking forward to seeing if Nigel can take on old boxer face and make a game of it.

No matter what the result, it’ll be great to watch Brayford (and maybe even Ben Davies fgs!) on the telly playing at Wembley in front of a full crowd. Who’d ‘ave thunk it...

Well done to Nigel. He deserves his plaudits this weekend. If he wants to have a dig then let him do so. In response to an interviewer after the game, who oddly appears on BBC, ITV, BT Sport etc, he said he did not leave he was sacked.

Mediocrity!! he may well be right, would our owners have supported him enough to bring in players like Andre Wisdom etc, to take us up to 3rd? We will never know. The records show that the support of the board managed to get us to mid table. Perhaps he was at fault by not bringing better quality players. But he must have had faith in his players at the time.

Look how he has transformed the players he has inherited at Sheff U, 8 points of play offs, Semi Final of the FA Cup. Very much like Steve McClaren has transformed the players he inherited as well!!

Clough has even rescued Brayford from obscurity at some small Premier Club and kick started his career. Brayfords tweets and on pitch reaction are testament to this.

Good luck to him and his team at Sheff U. If he gets them to the final and makes it into Europe in front of some so called top Premier teams, that will be a fantastic achievement that know one can deny.

McClaren may well be the saviour of our season but recent performances have been what we all expected 

You know what. It's sort of Brian Clough all over again. Only with Sheffield United instead of Forest. He'll take United to Europe, win them some trophies, and we'll forever be resentful that he didn't do it for us. I can see it happening...

Actually, no, I can't see it happening at all, to be honest. They're not going to win the cup, they're not going to get into Europe, and they're not going to get promoted. But then, neither are we. But it's all very exciting for everyone involved as long as it remains a possibility. I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong about all or some of those things, but I don't think I will be, and everyone will start next season exactly where they were at the start of this season, we'll be somewhere behind Cardiff, and somewhere in front of whatever teams start with 'E', and the adventure starts again. So is it really worth arguing about?

Not sure on your point here Alpha, Vicars was here long before Rush so it's not like Rush has employed him.

As for what he does, I'm not sure but there again I don't know how a football club is run. All I would say from the forums I attended, he seemed very clued up on the numbers side of the business so maybe he is akin to a financial director.

Fair enough then.

Not sure on your point here Alpha, Vicars was here long before Rush so it's not like Rush has employed him.

As for what he does, I'm not sure but there again I don't know how a football club is run. All I would say from the forums I attended, he seemed very clued up on the numbers side of the business so maybe he is akin to a financial director.

Stephen Pearce is the Finance Director,whereas Vicars is Chief Operating Officer,a role that would no doubt see him frequently liaise with the former.

I give it a year/2 max at Sheff U.

They could well go up next season I acknowledge that, but when talk of the PL comes about it will all come undone.

Whether we go up or not it will be nice to have a summer of being linked with decent players we know, rather than Falkirk's reserve left back. 

I'm looking forward to the foreign influx myself. I thought we might have pinched a couple in January to give us a lift but presumably no dosh.

Stephen Pearce is the Finance Director,whereas Vicars is Chief Operating Officer,a role that would no doubt see him frequently liaise with the former.

Cheers for that. Had it in my head that we had another finance director but could not put a name to it so thought it might have been Vicars.

Never come across the term 'Chief Operating Officer' if I'm being honest, must definitely be an American term.

Speaking of Americans...why are they holding the accounts back this year?!

Cheers for that. Had it in my head that we had another finance director but could not put a name to it so thought it might have been Vicars.

Never come across the term 'Chief Operating Officer' if I'm being honest, must definitely be an American term.

They're not. Not due at companies house until end the month

They're not. Not due at companies house until end the month

Yes I know that much, sure they released them much earlier last year and got it in my head that they have to be submitted to Football League by end of December (not sure where I read/heard that though)

Don't know if it originated in the US,but there are certainly plenty of them around in Ireland.A COO would usually be second in command to the CEO.

I doubt they'd be holding good news back.In answer to davenport's point,whilst he'd be correct in saying that they're not due to the end of the month,I don't see any reason why they couldn't have been released a lot earlier,as evidenced by last year.They'd have had to be compiled by Dec 1st as part of FFP requirements.Anyway,I seem to remember SR divulging a c£8m loss again at one of these recent fans' forums.

The auditors signed off the 11/12 accounts on 30 November 2012,just in time for the League FFP deadline,and I would be surprised if the forthcoming accounts weren't signed off at a similar (2013) date.

Yes I know that much, sure they released them much earlier last year and got it in my head that they have to be submitted to Football League by end of December (not sure where I read/heard that though)

They need to be submitted to league in December but not until March fir companies house.

Guess football league might just be an abridged profit and loss version? I don't know

Archived