The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say it again as well.

Makes you wonder what Chrissy Martin is worth.  :D

Duh, nothing silly. He was a free transfer, therefore Assombalongthewatchtower is (5,500,000 / 0) times better. He'll be amazing and score eleventy goals this season.

Incidentally, the calculation above will cause a ZDIV error, which is quite apt given the number of Divs on LTLF and Vital.

To be honest, I don't really care about the money. It is not my money and we are not going to go bankrupt so why worry?

Delighted with Assombalonga, he will score goals and has massive potential.

Know very little about Antonio but he seems an established player at Sheff Weds and I'm sure he will be useful.

Five live earlier, talking to Owen Coyle and Andy Reid.

The two teams in the championship who have improved most during the close season are Forest and Boro. So those two are favourites to go up. So there you have it. 

cold hard facts.

I'm not going to mock or applaud the Assombalonga because I don't know how it's going to fall.

It's the biggest gamble the Championship has ever seen, in my opinion. He scored the same amount of goals as Sam Baldock last season in League One, and he only got 10 last time he was in the Championship. So, it is a massive, massive gamble.

I've also heard/read that he offers nothing outside the box, but comes alive inside and is only good for scoring goals. It is a thing to be good at, but it's an interesting one.

I think we'd have comfortably sold Martin for that amount, no doubt. Yet, I'd much, much prefer Martin over this guy to start the season because as well as him proving himself as a goalscorer at this level last season, he also offered an awful lot to the build up play too. 

Nevertheless, I think it makes the Ross McCormack fee seem reasonable now and we just have to accept that it's the game. 

There's a fine line between genius and madness, and I honestly do not know which side of the line the Assombalonga deal falls on. I just wouldn't have taken the risk myself, if it were my money, that's for sure. And I wouldn't want Derby to take that risk either.

Nevertheless, I think it makes the Ross McCormack fee seem reasonable now and we just have to accept that it's the game. 

It won't be for much longer. I hesitate to laugh at Forest for this one - we're incredibly lucky to have got most of our key players when they were unproven, from the academy, or before the past two summers of madness.

I wouldn't want to see a graph of the increase in transfer fees over the past few windows - it would scare me too much. They're clearly accelerating faster than revenue streams, which seems bizarre when FFP rules are being phased in. Rather than ridiculing Forest for Assombalonga, you've got to say they've been massively shortchanged on Lascelles and Darlow. Wouldn't have said that 6 months ago, but I would this summer.

And that's what's scary - things are escalating quickly. The bubble will burst in English football soon. This summer has been the boom before the recession.

We seem to be sitting out of the madness, stroking our Sam Rush-style beard and watching clubs like Forest spunk their money into this bukake madness that is English Football. They're not the only ones at it.

Antonio, who is a player I like by the way, is not the type of player that will fit in with Assombowhatshisname either.

A few telling stats from Antonio last season:

Appearances: 27

Goals: 4

Assists: 3

Right, here are the more telling stats behind the numbers.

Shots per game: 2.7 - huge for a winger, the highest in the Wednesday team and higher than ANY of our players. 

Pass Accuracy: 66.1% - incredibly poor, among the worst in the Championship. 

Successful dribbles: 1.8 - among the highest in the division. However, he is dispossessed 3.1 times a game, stunning for a winger, that.

However, the biggest and most disappointing stats that really fly in the face of whatshisface needs is the following three...

Chances created per game: 0.9 - the same as Stephen Warnock at Leeds.

Avg. Passes per game: 17.9 - for a player with just THREE sub appearances to his name, that his bizarre and really poor.

and finally, 102 attempted crosses and only 20 landed. In fairness, that's about the same as Abdoun so at least they haven't gone backwards in that respect. 

Stats don't tell the whole story, no I do agree, but they can certainly paint a picture of what to expect from a player. I guarantee the prozone stats on Antonio weren't looked at before signing, in fact, I'd bet my house on it.

To be honest, I don't really care about the money. It is not my money and we are not going to go bankrupt so why worry?

Delighted with Assombalonga, he will score goals and has massive potential.

Know very little about Antonio but he seems an established player at Sheff Weds and I'm sure he will be useful.

In this league? Please provide evidence to back this up.

Scored loads of goals... just at non-league, league 2 and league 1.

In this league? Please provide evidence to back this up.

Scored loads of goals... just at non-league, league 2 and league 1.

Plenty of strikers have made the step up. We would not have invested such a massive sum of money unless we were really sure.

Maybe not 20 goals but around 15.

Archived