The demise of Forest

ladyram

Wonderful post in the thread on the Mac on LTLF

It has to be lucky because otherwise the myth of needing over 18 months for squad and manager to settle which this forum buys into gets blown out the water. 

I don't know how he's doing it but its clear he's doing a very good and professional job. Dyche, Pearson and Schteve are showing Davies for what he is - a steady eddy nearly man who can't adapt.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you didn't enjoy winning at wembley...guess what...you are lying.

I loved winning at Wembley but once I'd gotten rid of my hangover the day after and re-watched the game I realised how poor we'd played and on another day WBA would've had scored four including two penalties.

The same goes for the semis, a (admittedly brilliant) King Bill-eh smash and grab at St Mary's followed by a Keystone Cops style performance at PP. Taking the rose tinted specs off for a second you have to admit we were damn lucky over those 3 games??? Come to think of it, can you think of a game from that season, other than Colchester at home where we dominated the other side??? Compare that to this season where we've really taken the p1ss out of a lot of sides...

King Bill-eh's solid at the back/hoofball will only get teams so far, when they suss him out he has no other way of beating teams hence why we were so abysmal in the prem...

I do remember thinking for a long time, 'When are we going to tonk someone?' That includes since Billy's season and before.

I remember watching the Colchester game and being quite satisfied. But the fact that no one hadn't scored a hat trick for god knows how long since before this season speaks volumes I think. Te games we've been winning, even on the few occasions when we've been winning lots, were always scrappy 1-0 wins.

I was too young and naive in the background politics of football to really get a sense of Billy Davies as a person (I wasn't a member of this forum yet, and didn't have you kind wise folk to educate me). All I remember is he got us promoted, and that was a good thing. If I'd have paid more attention though, I dare say I would have been quite embarrassed to have such a cock in charge. And I do remember thinking that in our position, we ought to be winning more games more convincingly.

I think even the most deluded and ignorant Forest fans should be thinking the same thing. How many games have you won by more than a 1 goal margin this year? You say you're unlucky, but had the wind really been blowing in the wrong direction, those 1 - 0 wins of yours could have been 0 - 0 draws. Then where would you be?

Two different points for me;

1) We were not lucky to go up IMO - we finished 10 points clear of fourth. We took 4 points from Southampton during the season and 3 from WBA (would have also been 4 but for a lucky injury time goal for them). SF could have gone either way in the end, Southampton weren't any better than we were. Final - enjoyed because we won but only once we HAD won, and then only until Billy decided to make the day all about him, which started taking the shine off already.

2) winning aside, I did not enjoy the football particularly during that season. We were consistently hard to beat for long stretches and very clinical with few chances thanks to Steve Howard. It was a season's worth of grinding out results - you can enjoy the result of it, and you can enjoy being up at the top, but the actual games were often very dour affairs.

The irony will be if we play the way we do under McClaren but don't go up. Personally I'd rather see us playing great football and going up when we're truly ready than going up under Davros' style of football which has obvious limitations.

I think it is quite telling that not many players from that time are really that highly regarded here, you'd think the club would have been full of heroes.

All I remember is loving George Burley's time here then being stuck with Davros was a real kick in the nuts.

I think it is quite telling that not many players from that time are really that highly regarded here, you'd think the club would have been full of heroes.

All I remember is loving George Burley's time here then being stuck with Davros was a real kick in the nuts.

Big Dave, Lupoli and Steve Howard spring to mind.

The whole season under Billy Davies was very similar to our last three games, winning it by usually one goal in a game that could have easily seen us drop points.

We've shown our ability throughout the season, scoring at will - however, tightening our midfield up has made us a much better defensive side. 

This is my favourite, especially that last line. Do they even know who their manager is and the irony involved???

His strengths are - he's a good coach and is good at keeping things on an even keel when everything is going well. His main weakness is - he hasn't a clue at how to turn things around once his team hits a rocky patch. He also has a record of wasting plenty of transfer money on failures.

I remember from that season I occasionally checked the BBC forum. There was a Sunderland fan who was just brilliant at winding everyone up - and he said that Derby didn't have a single player who would be good enough for the PL..

He was right.

He mentioned how we had only won literally 3 games all season by more than one goal - he was right.

He said that during our 5-1 thrashing of Colchester, we only had 9 shots in the whole game - he was right. The score was dominant, but it was hardly a Derby vs Yeovil type performance.

We literally only finished so high because we flukely won the 6 pointers. We took 4 points off Southampton, yet in both games we scored in the last minute. We took 6 points off Sheff Wed, both last minute winners.

It was an accumulation of constant luck and hard work. I can't remember a single game where when we didn't win I felt we deserved to win. I can't remember more than 5 games all season where I felt we were NOT fortunate to win.

Our season under BD was actually his worst season in terms of performances - His Preston and Forest sides were actually much better than our Derby side.

Anyway... He's not particularly a good manager... Otherwise he would have had more PL experience rather than the 10 or so games he had with us.

Someone like Steve Bruce is miles ahead of him, and I said that Hull would go up last year

yep...all that winning was awful...I hated it...especially when we went to Wembley and won down there too...that was just the worst ever.......

yes that season was great and a great day at Wembley. No one with eyes in their head could say that the football we played that season was anything but awful. Effective yes but awful.

I remember saying every week with my mates that it can only be so long before the bubble burst, because so many games we were second best, but ground out a win.

However, as we got the win, you tended to overlook the performance. It wasn't pretty, with hindsight, but we took it on the fact that we were in the top 3 for the majority of the season...

Wembley day was awesome. Being out of control for so long and then going and scoring!! Crazy feeling.

It's made me more obsessed with playing well though. Like the Sheffield Wednesday game... sometimes I have mixed feelings about winning a game like that. Sounds spoilt but I just think it's like rewarding a scrappy battling performance. I don't like to see us out of control. It happens but you just want a team that finishes high up by controlling the matches. Not scrapping it out with every other team.

You're eventually going to reach a ceiling. Where teams are equal or better and they don't allow a scrappy game. Chelsea won the CL by scrapping for their lives (wasn't good defending because Barcelona/Bayern had easy chances they missed/out of Chelsea's control). But it's not common that teams win anything without controlling the flow of the game.

Saying that, Billy's Forest aren't as out of control as we were. They do play if there's no pressure.

yes that season was great and a great day at Wembley. No one with eyes in their head could say that the football we played that season was anything but awful. Effective yes but awful.

I enjoyed that season more than any other that followed, with the exception of this.

What he did to get us up imo was nothing short of remarkable, transforming us from a bottom team into one that finished third and deserved to be promoted.

Id rather see forest fail than davies, both of them happening just makes it sweeter

Tiger Tedd. Florest have won 8 games by more than 1 clear goal, 5 by 2 goals, and 3 by 3 goals DERBY have also won 8 games by more than 1 clear goal,  4 by 2 goals,  2 by 3 goals,  and 2 by 4 goals.

How many of our goals came as a result of an 'up and under'......?

Archived