North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well when we go for it we really go for it. Nearly got us a point v Wigan too.

Sammon is like a giraffe at a rave. He just comes bounding on and is just totally unpredictable. I'm glad he doesn't start because I prefer something reliable and predictable. He does cheer me up when he comes racing on though. Never been a fan but he's changed the tempo a few times.

Even got Cahill and Luiz in a mess by stampeding them

Didn't go to the game Saturday but i've never listened to Radio Derby before and felt so confident we were going to score. For the last 15 minutes or so it seemed like it was wave after wave of attack. Love how positive McClaren is and another example of him winning us points that i'm sure Clough wouldn't have. What McClaren should also be commended for is bringing in the attacking options to be able to go 4-2-4. E.g Dawkins and Bamford.

One word... Ambition.

I remember a couple of seasons ago when we beat Blackpool at home 2-1 (S Davies scored both, if I recall correctly), and I was amazed that with the score at 1-1 in the 2nd half Ian Holloway brought on Matt Phillips and Taylor-Fletcher for 2 midfielders and went 4-2-4.  I thought it was lunacy at the time, but in retrospect I could see the thinking: if you've got 3 away games and you go for it in all 3, there's a good chance you'll win one.  Then, even if you lose the other 2 you'll still be averaging a point a game.  In many ways it makes more sense than sitting back for a point in all 3 matches.

I know that when SMC has gone 4-2-4 it's often been either at home or when we're losing, so the scenario isn't quite the same as Holloway and Blackpool, but it shows that he thinks on broadly similar lines.  We changed to 4-2-4 against Boro in December when the score was 1-1 and ended up getting all three points.  It won't work every time, of course, but it doesn't need to - it only needs to work 1 in 3.

I love seeing us go for it, especially at home.

Worked again nicely today. 

I love how attacking McClaren is i think its paid off pretty much every time we play it. We have so many players who are quality going forward. I was one who was annoyed at Cloughs sacking but im so glad we got McClaren in because his tactics have gained us so many points.

Archived