Jamie Ward

rammieib

After he was subbed today (after contributing nothing). I watched him for about 20 seconds. He shook hands with Simmo and a few of the other subs/staff, sat down, got given a jacket to put on and promptly chucked it over the wall into the tunnel area. Absolutely pathetic.

Whether he was annoyed at being subbed or his own performance, this is not the attitude I want to see. I love the refreshing approach Bamford has come in with and he did more today than Ward has done in a long time,

I wouldn't be upset to see Ward leave this club. It won't happen this month but if we want to progress as a club (prem or champ), Ward is a player we can do better than and need to do better than.

Rally hope Bamford gets his chance on Tuesday.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny isn't it? I would rather someone had a reaction like Wardy's to someone who did not care about being subbed off. To me, it shows he cares about his performance and is eager to be on the pitch. He does work hard in games even if it does not come off for him a times.

Nothing really against Ward and not going to lay into him but i also wouldnt be sad to see him go and to be honest hed be one id replace if we did go up we need someone who can take a freekick and corners and he just cant and hed never make a prem player. Wasnt he a Blade so they might be one simple answer!!

I do feel kind of sorry for him, to be fair.

To go from the focal point of our team, the main attacking threat and the firm fan favourite, to arguably one of the weakest links in our team and the one who you can audibly hear the crowd moaning about must be hard to adjust to. All in less than a season as well.

It's not even his fault. We've just bought in better players and upped our game to a higher standard.

I think there's a myth going round that Ward is lazy and doesn't work back. He's pretty good at getting back and supporting, probably the best of our wide players in that respect. He can be petulant and give away free kicks because he fouls (see Chelsea for reference) He isn't lazy though. I don't really mind that he's annoyed at being subbed, shows he cares but I guess it could be disruptive to the side. Compare him to Sammon for example, who is the absolute model of a team player.

What frustrates me about him, and always has, is that he's incredibly wasteful and doesn't look after the ball at all well. Sometimes this helps to create something out of nothing, pretty rarely though. However, usually it just means that we lose possession and momentum.

I don't mind Ward and wouldn't campaign for him to be sold but I much prefer the likes of Russell on the pitch because he fits so much better with our style of play. I think we've moved beyond him a little but I think he could have a good role as an impact sub.

Sooner have Ward than Dawkins, Trouble with Dawkins , he thinks he can win every game on his own. poor signing ,in my opinion.

Dawkins hasn't played many first team games throughout his career, and although he is 26, he probably has the same 'experience' as Bennett. He does show his naiviety a few times but he has pace, a good touch and can take on his man. He'll probably play most of the games left this season and with a decent pre-season behind him next season I'm pretty optimistic he could be a big player for us.

this has to be the single most worst post i have ever seen in my time

You wait until I've got a few more Belgian beers inside me. I'll show you bad posts.

Someone tell rynny you're not allowed multiple accounts

I was gonna say that I get fed up of Dawkins and Ward's ambitious shots. Have they not figured out they aren't good at them?

But we seem to be doing fine.

Again I would point out that there are a hell of a lot of other players playing for better teams at higher levels who's long range shooting leaves a lot to be desired, yet people often tend to remember the ones that go in and not the 3 or 4 hopeless efforts that came before.

Aaron Lennon has somehow made an international and European career out of a 2/10 hit rate.

Obviously, there are many, many better players than Aaron Lennon... but even then you're looking at like, 5/6 out of 10.

You wait until I've got a few more Belgian beers inside me. I'll show you bad posts.

this has to be the single most worst post i have ever seen in my time

dcfcunderscore17, i'm afraid Eddie is right. If you truly believe that is the worst post you have ever seen then you must have Eddie on ignore.

:D  :D  :D

Think you are all being harsh on Ward here, it doesn't seem that long ago when he was providing most of

the goals, and assists. He hasn't been the same since his hamstring problems, but I would like to see him

playing a half and either Russell or Bamford the other, Thought we were told he would be used more sparingly?

Sooner have Ward than Dawkins, Trouble with Dawkins , he thinks he can win every game on his own. poor signing ,in my opinion.

I tend to agree, But, I'll reserve judgement until we've seen a bit more of Dawkins. After he's been in the side a bit longer and played more games, he might realize that he can't change the game with every touch and his decision making might improve.

I like our forward options (obviously being top scorers in the league). We have Martin with Sammon to come on when their defenders are tired, and Ward, Dawkins, Russell, Bamford and Bennett to rotate in the other two spots. We can easily revert to 424 if we're behind or drawing to go for the win. If one of them isn't on it leave him out. Playing wide seems to be a more inconsistent position anyway.

I wouldn't have a go at Ward, just rotate him. This will help his dodgy hamstrings as well.

Archived