Sky

Asanovic

Mentioned a small part of this in the forest match moved thread, but need to rant.

I really do hate Sky and what they've done to the game, but the one biggest thing that has to change is this moving kick off dates and times.

It's just become accepted by everyone, me included, that games move, but taking a step back, it's so anti supporters, anti the lifeblood of the game, that it's quite literally unbelieveable. It makes my blood boil that another game, the fourth this season, has been moved for the cameras. In any other industry that sort of behaviour would be completely shot down - regulatory bodies would have a field day. Sky have amassed so much power that people just nod and get on with it.

Some of the games they've moved though - one that sticks out is Accrington v Portsmouth. From memory it was 12.15pm or 12.30pm. Sky, really looking after the fans of a club that nearly ruined itself trying to stay in the division it created.

Then there's our game against Blackburn. First game of the season, big buzz - moved to Sunday to celebrate 125 years of the Football League, which Sky have all but destroyed, or at least tried their best to over the past 22 years.

Of course it's not just that. There's how incredibly expensive it is, and how poorly the money generated from our monthly fees is spent. If a company worth billions can only get hold of Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp to analyse games then it's a sorry state of affairs. The only person that gives a shred of credibility to Sky's football team is Gary Neville. I expect it from the BBC, but not from a £90 per month subscription.

Of course go further down and you've got your pick of Peter Beagrie, Gary Birtles or Don Goodman. All offering absolutely nothing in terms of insight in their own ways.

I don't want the Premier League anymore. I like seeing us do well, performing well in the league at the moment, but the end to the means doesn't appeal to me one little bit. I don't want Jamie Redknapp patronising my team on a Sunday afternoon, paying £90 per month for the privelige. They can stick it up their a*se.

I'm getting rid of it. If there's a match I want to watch that badly I'll go to the pub.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the games they've moved though - one that sticks out is Accrington v Portsmouth. From memory it was 12.15pm or 12.30pm. Sky, really looking after the fans of a club that nearly ruined itself trying to stay in the division it created.

Is moving a football game by 3 hours really ruining football though? It's not ideal no but it's really not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

Do the Portsmouth fans even need looking after by Sky? At least Sky are putting money into the club by televising it, surely a good thing for a club in League 2 that was previously struggling financially?

wow

i subscribe , but am thinking of downsizing it to the very basic package , spending money i can ill afford to spend ,

most of the time i watch freeview anyway ..

We already have - don't miss it at all and just stream games im interested in. Its amazing how much more stuff I get don't now I don't waste Sunday watching matches I don't really care aboit

Is moving a football game by 3 hours really ruining football though? It's not ideal no but it's really not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

Do the Portsmouth fans even need looking after by Sky? At least Sky are putting money into the club by televising it, surely a good thing for a club in League 2 that was previously struggling financially?

I bought train tickets up for the Blackburn game. Couldn't change them, either had to buy again or not go. I didn't go. Straight away one game off my season ticket and £30 black hole on invalid train tickets. How is that right? 3 hours or a day is a short space of time but it's huge when you've already made arrangements.

Re Pompey - they don't need looking after, no, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. They could have scheduled any of the teams in the south for that time, but instead plumped for Accrington, one of the furthest distances to travel in the entire division. 

Do you watch games on Sky in the pub?

There's very little chance of seeing a Derby match in the pub round here. Don't go to pubs much to be honest.

If I do and there's a game on I might watch it. But I don't ever go to the pub in order to watch football.

I don't go for the hype of the premier league and avoid listening to those in the pundit industry talking about it. Sky is responsible for this decline in my relationship with the football world.

And it is part of an organisation that is the biggest single threat to freedom of speech and democracy this country has seen for decades.

Cant blame Sky for clubs spending money they didn't, don't have any sympathy for them. They should have been wound up.

the minute the FA become a profit making organisation, it went downhill.

You actually cannot blame Sky, cos there's supply and demand. Football has always been moved for TV. There were games on Sundays years before Sky TV came along.

Rick Parry is the man to blame for turning football into a business in itself, when it was just a league for other businesses to compete before.

It's my view that the FA should have no bank account and no budget. They are 'administrators' of the game, and every year there costs should be divided up and paid by the 20 teams in the league. But it's got too far now, it'll never go back until every team goes bang.

the minute the FA become a profit making organisation, it went downhill.

You actually cannot blame Sky, cos there's supply and demand. Football has always been moved for TV. There were games on Sundays years before Sky TV came along.

Rick Parry is the man to blame for turning football into a business in itself, when it was just a league for other businesses to compete before.

It's my view that the FA should have no bank account and no budget. They are 'administrators' of the game, and every year there costs should be divided up and paid by the 20 teams in the league. But it's got too far now, it'll never go back until every team goes bang.

Very interesting suggestion.

Archived