Sky

Asanovic

Very interesting suggestion.

IN what way?

The game is now too professional, almost that professional it's due an implosion.

The prize is now prize-money and not silverware. Teams that are NOT champions are allowed to compete in something known as "The Champions' League".

I'd love to redress the balance, but for it to happen, clubs need to become worthless, so your playboy owners give them up and put them back into the hands of the local community. Then the wages of players can be driven down, then the price of a ticket can be driven down, then the attendance and sense of community pride is lifted and the balance of competition restored.

Rules I'd change:-

Champions (and holders) in the Champs League

No prize (European competition) for finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th - etc in your domestic league.

Re-launch the Euro/UEFA Cup Winner's Cup for both domestic national cups and league cups.

Re-hash of the play-offs, where the runner up of the play-off final, plays the team finishing 4th bottom of the Prem, play each other for the place in the higher division.

Remove the transfer window, although keeping the deadline for 3/4 weeks before end of season.

No clubs allowed to release anyone under the age of 20 (allowing time for late developers)

No clubs allowed to buy anyone under the age of 20 (combating hoarding! Chelsea have about 30 players out on loan!)

No single person/family/investment group can own more than 20% of a club.

Managers can not be sacked during the season.

All schedule changes to games to be made at least 8 weeks in advance. ie move of fixture to Sunday..

Matchday squad must contain at least 2 players who are under 20 (having come through development)

Matchday numbers revert to 1-11 (and 12-18 for subs).

Safe-standing

Beer in the stands

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IN what way?

The game is now too professional, almost that professional it's due an implosion.

The prize is now prize-money and not silverware. Teams that are NOT champions are allowed to compete in something known as "The Champions' League".

I'd love to redress the balance, but for it to happen, clubs need to become worthless, so your playboy owners give them up and put them back into the hands of the local community. Then the wages of players can be driven down, then the price of a ticket can be driven down, then the attendance and sense of community pride is lifted and the balance of competition restored.

No prize (European competition) for finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th - etc in your domestic league.

Re-launch the Euro/UEFA Cup Winner's Cup for both domestic national cups and league cups.

Re-hash of the play-offs, where the runner up of the play-off final, plays the team finishing 4th bottom of the Prem, play each other for the place in the higher division.

Remove the transfer window, although keeping the deadline for 3/4 weeks before end of season.

No clubs allowed to release anyone under the age of 20 (allowing time for late developers)

No clubs allowed to buy anyone under the age of 20 (combating hoarding! Chelsea have about 30 players out on loan!)

All schedule changes to games to be made at least 8 weeks in advance. ie move of fixture to Sunday..

Matchday squad must contain at least 2 players who are under 20 (having come through development)

Safe-standing

Beer in the stands

Our season would be over already if that was the case ;)

I had Sky taken out a few years back, due to the box becoming faulty. I'd been a regular subscriber for a number of years, and they were very happy to take my money. But when I asked them to fix or replace the box they wanted a £100. My many years of loyalty and cash meant nothing, whilst new subscribers could get far better deals etc.So I told them what they could do with their box and I've never missed it. I'm happy fast forwarding through Football Focus,MOTD and FL

Most of my Derby trips include flights, hotels, food, beer, entertainment etc. A couple of trips easy match up or could even be more than the cost of a season ticket. I can remember a home game against Arsenal moving to a Monday night, but I still spent a weekend in Derby with no game to watch. Sky put me into a position thereafter, that I would have to start picking games not likely to be televised and I haven't been caught out since, but my choice can become limited. Well not that much at the moment.

Regarding the FA and the money they make, and the game itself. There is always talk, discussion, of no consistancy in the game. Well it needs to start at the top and unfortunately the FA are not consistant, you only have to look at the fines they dish out, and how they look after the top clubs, especially managers making comments about refs etc. The game went to the dogs many years ago. I mean which football fan(s) wanted to see his/her team play in pink or wear pink boots etc and watch all their players dive about like lemons with no pips!

The days of me getting a taxi all the way from Derby to Southampton to watch the reserves, well I've nearly got that out of my system. But I will never get out of my system our last go in the Premiership, and if we do get back we are more likely to feature on Sky, BT etc a bit more, and my heart, well I don't think can take much more of our usual performances when the cameras are on us.

We've had a few goes on the cameras already in the FL over the last 3 years but except for home games against Blackpool, Leicester, Birmingham City, and away at Forest, Portsmouth and Leeds, the less coverage we get the better, but then it all comes back to money and funding the club. Plus for all of us fans that live miles away from Derby or those that live near but can't make the games, we can only hope that we start to perform better when on these channels and we all enjoy better times in the pubs when watching them. 

Or as Brian Clough said along the lines of "you wouldn't want to watch football every day of the week, it's like your sunday roast, you only enjoy it once a week" so why do Sky and the like think any different, the power of money and the damage it does.

I too had a Sky box die about 5 or 6 years ago, and they wanted something like £100 for a new one. I cancelled that day and took out a cable subscription to Virgin. I had been with them since October 1989 - before the BSkyB merger.

IN what way?

Safe-standing

Beer in the stands

Interesting in the fact that I liked it.

Never really thought about making the FA a 'not for profit' organisation but it really does make sense.

I also like some of your other ideas.

The European scene is a farce right now where they may as well just choose who they want to play in what competition. 'Here you go you've been knocked out of The 'Champions' League go and join the Europa League when some of the teams in there have already played 10 matches to reach the stage they are at'.

I would also revert back to limiting the number of foreigners in teams (although I understand that this is hard with employment rules).

I've never really even considered having Sky taken out of my household but having read a few posts on here it is now at the front of my thoughts!

I like sky, I have a season ticket and sometime am unable to make the odd game due to them changing times. However there have been numerous times I have been on holiday and been able to enjoy a game sometimes including the rams which otherwise I would have missed.

I also enjoy watching games on a sunday that without them would not have seen.

each to there own, but imo if the soul is being sucked out It's down to the paying customer who continues to fuel the demand for sky. Its like saying prostitution should be banned and having a hooker visit you every night, without the paying customer there is no need for supply.

We already have - don't miss it at all and just stream games im interested in. Its amazing how much more stuff I get don't now I don't waste Sunday watching matches I don't really care aboit

Indeed, if you've got an internet connection, don't pay for sky. Takes about 15 seconds to get to the match you want.

I don't usually go in for 'piracy' with music/tv as the small price charged for what you get is more than fair. Same with the bbc, but they are pushing their luck more these days.

However, we have a moral obligation to save football by destroying the tv revenues. Cancel sky now and follow those links.

Indeed, if you've got an internet connection, don't pay for sky. Takes about 15 seconds to get to the match you want.

I don't usually go in for 'piracy' with music/tv as the small price charged for what you get is more than fair. Same with the bbc, but they are pushing their luck more these days.

However, we have a moral obligation to save football by destroying the tv revenues. Cancel sky now and follow those links.

So you want to destroy the tv revenue, by watching the streams their cameras provide for free??

The moral obligation I must admit is slightly lost in me there.

So you want to destroy the tv revenue, by watching the streams their cameras provide for free??

The moral obligation I must admit is slightly lost in me there.

it needs a 'reset' and the only way to do that is to remove the thing that is not evenly distributed.

Isn't the problem the Premiership? Since the breakaway, all of the tv money is funnelled into the bigger teams' troughs and not distributed throughout the whole 92 clubs.

That is the same with the Champions League - all that money has to be shared by the big clubs and Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal shouldn't have to miss out to the likes of Legia Warsaw or Banik Ostrava - that wouldn't be fair!

I agree with a lot of Mostyn's views on reintroducing the old European format. I'd also reamalgamate the whole of the football league - maybe even add in the conference.

Who cares that we might not see the cream of world football playing? That's what made the World Cup so special. Plus that would result in more English players given the opportunity, ergo a better England squad!

Wasn't an improved national side one of the benefits of the Prem?

What about this? Every club should be a community enterprise, not for profit organisation. I've no idea how you'd compensate the current owners. Maybe every club in the league could start from scratch, a whole new break away league. Like occasionally happens in American sports to shake things up, and similar to Wimbledon, but everyone doing it at once.

Totally impractical, but this is why football club are called clubs, because they were never designed to be businesses.

In a not for profit, people can still earn a fair wage, so the only difference is that you wouldn't have any shareholders taking dividends. All profits go into the development of the club, or into the surrounding community. You have to live within your means (although I suppose you could do fund raising activities and get some donations off local philanthropists).

Bit pie in the sky really, but it wasn't once. I suppose the point is that sky, the premiership and everything that goes with it has made this idyllic scenario totally impossible.

Archived