10 things we learnt today

ilkleyram

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shanks used to say (about cup games against 'lowlier' opposition) that you first match them for effort and then beat them on skill.

Once Chelsea took the competition seriously,fielded a strong side and matched us for effort,we had little chance of providing an upset.However,we acquitted ourselves well and produced a scoreline that other Prem sides had been unable to match.This was very encouraging.

Shanks used to say (about cup games against 'lowlier' opposition) that you first match them for effort and then beat them on skill.

Once Chelsea took the competition seriously,fielded a strong side and matched us for effort,we had little chance of providing an upset.However,we acquitted ourselves well and produced a scoreline that other Prem sides had been unable to match.This was very encouraging.

people quizzing me about it today at work as if it's something I should be embarrassed about. Wiped off a few smug grins once I told the real truth about what I saw.

My general points were that we acquitted ourselves better than most of the Premier League would've, our possession and competence on the ball more than matched them, some of our players underperformed (this is a positive in the long term, cos had a few more players achieve 8/10, we might've had a different outcome), we got in their box, there keeper touched the ball a few times.

All in all, the game highlighted several areas to improve. Decision making cost us a few goalscoring chances in my opinion, I think we always paid Chelsea a bit too much respect until Bennett came on and showed them none! On a good day, we would've scored a couple.

If we were to go into the premier league these are the positions we would need to strengthen IMO: GK,CB,LB,CDM and a forward for when Martin is not effective. Possibly a RW with a bit of skill also.

LB would be in-case Forsysth cannot make the step up.

We'll need a new RB next season when wisdom returns to liverpool. I also think Grant will be more than adequate in the Prem.

Overall we'll need a minimum of a RB, CB, LB, CDM and a top winger if we got promoted and I'd expect atleast one of those this January.

I don't think freekick taking ability has lot to do with transfer fees. Remember former Lyon player Juninho? Maybe best ever freekick taker in game's history and he was free for them. Beckham's move to Real too? Can't remember it surely though.

Barcelona tried to sign him for ridiculous money at one point though, he was another level.

Set Pieces do have to be better though, the way Buxton, Keane and Keogh attack the ball in the box it doesn't have to be a strategic move, just put it in the middle of the goal around the 6/7 yard box and let them attack it. I will never understand the difficulty.

I used to take set plays now-and-again, I don't understand the lack of consistency. Even I could hit it past the first man  :D  :lol: 

I know we like to play short passing football but doesn't half wind me up when things aren't working or we are against a team like Chelsea where we are getting few chances from open play, and we take free kicks short.

The long punt freekick forward is food and drink to a well drilled Prem defence, always a risk of getting caught on the break. Often better to set the formation again and build for another quick attack.

Disagree. See Bolton circa 2004.

We'll need a new RB next season when wisdom returns to liverpool. I also think Grant will be more than adequate in the Prem.

Overall we'll need a minimum of a RB, CB, LB, CDM and a top winger if we got promoted and I'd expect atleast one of those this January.

I presumed we might be able to get Wisdom on loan next season?

Archived