Has supporting Derby ever kept you going?

PrivateDerby

Derby, Football & Life  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supporting Derby Yes.

Football in general, not anymore.

Sky has ruined that.

There is nothing I enjoy more than putting my Derby shirt on and walking around town.

You would not believe the amount of people that now check the Derby results out, just to comment/take the p1ss out of me.

From the mid 70s i was going to the match with my dad and my brother.

After the mid 80s it was generally just me and me dad.

when he got seriously ill I went to the ted mcminn testimonial on my own without him and felt like a bit of a traitor.

He was too ill to go.

Then.....well.......

So now i go to every match on my own.

Can't say that the football helps really, its just i'm a Ram and so i have to go.

I lost my dad 5 years ago and it's not the same going 2 watch the rams without him but now I take my kids and derby county are a massive part of our life's.I have fell out of love with football due 2 sky and all the money at the top end of the game and actually prefer cricket now but I will never fall out of love with the rams.Coyr

I lost my dad 5 years ago and it's not the same going 2 watch the rams without him but now I take my kids and derby county are a massive part of our life's.I have fell out of love with football due 2 sky and all the money at the top end of the game and actually prefer cricket now but I will never fall out of love with the rams.Coyr

Cricket........

I quite like the trousers and the pads.......

The bat obviously......

And the jumper......

Even the stumps have a certain appeal.

But the fkin ball kills...........

Football any day.

Good thread this.

Football doesn't do much for me these days, when i was a kid it was the be all. I've kind of come and gone with Derby to an extent but being on here and being able to get to a few more matches has brought me back to the club, i did feel a really close affinity when Nigel was here and i'm pleased that's carried through with Schteve.

I've had a bit of a **** year too, probably the most depressing i've experienced so far but having Derby back in my life has been one of the better things.

I cant say Derby has kept me going but it's a nice escape and something to belong to and feel part of. If anyone hasn't read Fever Pitch i strongly recommend they do, it's a really interesting insight into this topic.

Hoping for a better 2014 for us all and the Rams!

Well said Rodley, that's how I feel really.

Didn't want it to turn into a downer thread as I'm generally a pwoppa positive person! So I'm glad it hasn't, just makes you think about other fans doesn't it.

Football, for all the **** it gets... does some people the world of good. A few of us have gone on about it being a welcome distraction for various things and it's the same all over the world isn't it? Whether your suffering from an illness or grieving in Derby or dying of HIV in Africa, a lot of people rely on it or are at the very least, very glad it's there.

I'll have a look for that book mate, there's a really old one at work, probably been here since the 80s (it fookin stinks) called soccer tribe, keep having a flick through when there's not much on, sounds similar.

Oh and spot on, McClaren has done no wrong since he's been here, got out and about with us lunatics and comes across as a really smart and humble man, really hope he does well :)

I think if B4 didn't have Derby County he'd have no reason to go on lol.

I'm with Bris on this one, it can certainly keep you occupied during bad times but it's your family & friends that pull you through them.

Saying that I had a f-in horrible case of food poisoning all day Saturday (dodgy Friday night kebab) and listening to the game in my sick bed cheered me up no end

There's a great story in Fever Pitch about the author being in the Arsenal mob at Derby when Charlie George scored their winning goal, can't remember the exact words but he describes being chased all the way back to the station by "northern, boot wearing skinheads and it raining bricks and bottles!"

There's a great story in Fever Pitch about the author being in the Arsenal mob at Derby when Charlie George scored their winning goal, can't remember the exact words but he describes being chased all the way back to the station by "northern, boot wearing skinheads and it raining bricks and bottles!"

Whistles innocently.

Hasn't Fever Pitch been turned into a film?

Certainly has and we even get a mention. In a third act turn of events Colin Firth is almost suicidal when Derby beat them 2-1 at Highbury.

On a side note, anyone think if that 18 yard, swivelling, too corner volley Deano lashed in was scored by Messi or Ronaldo it would be hailed as one of the best of all time???

Get Goosebumps reading through this thread. Just goes to prove what a great fan base we have.

Luckily for me I’m too young to worry about marriages & kids, being in my late teens football is a big part of my life. I work through the week to have a weekend out with my mates following Derby home & away with a night out and a bit of a piss up.

Even in my short time supporting Derby I have had some **** times, but also some great days (Wembley final) & I wouldn’t change supporting Derby for the world.

Like many of you I first went with my dad - over 60 yrs ago. He's long since gone but, even when I could never afford to actually go, I supported us for both of us. I now look along the row when we go that his grandson and 3 great granddaughters are there and his memory lives on!

Also had a very aggressive cancer I was not supposed to survive and a friend persuaded me to buy a laptop so I could listen to the games. Obviously I had tremendous support from many people and the Rams were less significant but I remember in bed one Friday night when I thought I wouldn't mind not waking up again. The thought popped into my head that I'd miss the next day's game! I actually laughed out loud! and I'm still here 6yrs later!

Get Goosebumps reading through this thread. Just goes to prove what a great fan base we have.

Luckily for me I’m too young to worry about marriages & kids, being in my late teens football is a big part of my life. I work through the week to have a weekend out with my mates following Derby home & away with a night out and a bit of a piss up.

Even in my short time supporting Derby I have had some **** times, but also some great days (Wembley final) & I wouldn’t change supporting Derby for the world.

Rub it in why don't ya... :(

Treasure these days matey. 

I lost touch with some lads who i used to go the games with, people moved on, married, kids, whatever.....but even now, many , many years later, if we ever bump into each other its like we're 17 again! 

Don't think it's ever kept me going as such - as most have said, a welcome distraction - so maybe in a roundabout way.

There was a while after I'd had the girls and money was tight (still is mind) that Derby County wasn't on my radar but as the girls got older and got interested it's been great to spend time as a family and to see the girls get the bug like us so it's definately given us a common purpose as it did me and their dad way back when. 

Derby County means a lot to me, my past, being the only girl in a group of lads mini bussing round the country to Grimsby, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, all them exotic places.  My present - taking the girls as a family and enjoying the time together knowing it'll too soon be university and college and leaving home (sob).  My future - me and MrRam in a motorhome, travelling the country to watch The Rams, taking the grandkids.

Memories of my mum, having radiotherapy for cancer - the doctor said, I'm going to mark your skin with this pen, I'm afraid it's permanent - oh good, said my mum, can you just draw me a ram on my shoulder - i've always wanted one.  I had mine done after she died - couldn't think of anything better. :)

Love to you archram and everyone who's had a shitty year and as Rodley so nicely put it "Hoping for a better 2014 for us all and the Rams! "

Oh, hang on, I need the story on this, full description. Did you lob him? Did he get down on one knee and miss the ball.

I need to know

My back pass.

"http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/01/article-0-190A050D000005DC-551_964x632" alt="article-0-190A050D000005DC-551_964x632.j">

My reaction

"http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70419000/jpg/_70419835_mcfarlandandhunter" alt="_70419835_mcfarlandandhunter">

I even dream in black and white! Wayhay!

Archived