Has supporting Derby ever kept you going?

PrivateDerby

Derby, Football & Life  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I travel up from London with my head full of sh*te, this year it's usually been worrying about work being stressful, but it has been other things like family, money etc in the past. When I'm off the train I love knowing for the next six hours my responsibilities involve eating food, drinking and watching Derby. It's shallow but I do wonder what I'd be doing every Saturday if I didn't have football.

Football = childhood = happiness to me, and as sad as it sounds I can't let it go. Whenever I watch Derby it gives me the same comfort that it did when I was a kid at the BBG. And I think that's the main reason I couldn't do without. It is my go to 'thing' when I'm sad, angry, upset because I associate it with a happier time.

If I walked in to football now I'd probably think it was rubbish. It's corrupt, commercial, and expensive, and as someone who pays to watch it you're a second class citizen who has to put up with times being moved to suit TV. What it was when I was younger and what it is now are totally different, and there's an immaturity about me that hopes it will come back.

I was at Rolls Royce with work last week and went past Cambridge Street for the first time since Arsenal in 97, and was completely overwhelmed with sadness seeing all the new houses at the end of the road. Brought back the memories as a kid.

Bit of rambling there, sorry. My answer is A - I suspect it will always keep me going when I'm at my wits end (not that I always am!)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my teens and early twenties I pretty much lived for football and the weekends. Went home and away, followed England, watched every match possible on tv.

Times change, women and children pretty much see to that!

Following Derby was something my dad brought to my life after my parents split up so I suppose it was there at an important time in my life.

I'd like to think my kids will follow in my footsteps and follow The Rams and I guess that may be the time when it becomes really important to me again.

For now I'm just happy for the day out with my old man and the lads and a good match and a victory is a bonus.

Not really mate, my year has been very similar to yours though, injured at work, long term partner left, family... I think Derby, football and this head the ball forum has helped no end though... apart from your and mo55y's DIY help.

What it was more than anything else was last home game, I looked around the ground and saw all the disabled fans, without wanting to sound patronising towards them... it must be a huge part of some of their lives?

aww , cheers mate :) ( I think) :blink:

At times of hardship, football was a distraction without realising. I didn't live for the next game (whether playing or watching derby) but looking back now football played a big part of where I am today.

I have to say that I have always preferred playing to watching, even Derby games. :o

I know it is not as bad as some of the things people have gone through on here but football is a great tonic when you are studying for exams. Watching Derby or reading the Derby news would take my mind away from my important A level exams. Too much studying can take it's toll but the days I would have off would be the weekends when Derby play and the midweek games. Even when we lost, I thought more about Derby than my actual exams but it helped me relieve stress.

Now I know why I got a E in Business.

I don't know what i would do if there wasn't a football match to go to. I know there are more important things in life but nothing can replace the butterflies i get before a match. The tension and nerves when 1-0 up and not playing great. The excitment when we beat forest. Checking the table after a win and finding what the teams around us in the league have done. The conversation on monday about the weekends game. I've gone for A it keeps me going.

Nice to see some of the stories here, helps you appreciate the person behind a username and yes...life is **** at times.

Personally, past experience with feeling down (years ago fortunately) and using the internet wasn't good. It made me fester and be inactive (the opposite to what I needed - a kick up the arse basically), if I feel my mood dropping now its time to take a walk and avoid the internet at all costs.

When I was a teenager I used to have reoccurring nightmares that I'd missed a home game.

Obviously before a woman got evolved and messed me up, not my current one btw, she's great about me and footie.

I also dreamt once that I did a back pass to Shilton at the BBG and it went in! Can still visualise that dream nearly 25 years later.

2013 has been the worst year of my life.. No exaggeration.

Does football pull me through? Not really to be honest, but it keeps me occupied when I've not got much else to do

I hope the next year will be better. At least we will get the promotion. :rolleyes:

When I was a teenager I used to have reoccurring nightmares that I'd missed a home game.

Obviously before a woman got evolved and messed me up, not my current one btw, she's great about me and footie.

I also dreamt once that I did a back pass to Shilton at the BBG and it went in! Can still visualise that dream nearly 25 years later.

Don't worry he would have blamed Mel Sage as usual

As others have said football is a great distraction and for it certainly helps me when I'm feeling sh**ty and want to get my mind off of the big things. I find the best thing when you're feeling like crap is to surround yourself with good mates as much as possible and for me, growing up especially, that meant getting a group of us together to go to a match or go for a kick about. Nothing like a good kick about at the park to vent stress and take your mind off things I find.

I'm sorry to hear so many people have had a horrible 2013 but in a weird way it can be kind of comforting to know there's others going through similar stuff to yourself. I know I'll certainly be glad to see the end of this piece of **** year, that's for sure. Bring on 2014!

In them days, Shilton could've picked the ball up!!

It isn't football generally with me but Derby County. If the Rams ever went out of business the most I would ever do is watch a non league team - probably Guiseley given that they're nearest. But it wouldn't be the same.

I've had lots of different jobs in my life from Preston to London, three marriages and triplets never mind the various girlfriends, exams, university and the like but I have always gone every Saturday and had a season ticket for most of the last 30 years.

And during that time watching the Rams has kept me going through good and bad, not only for the stress relieving benefits I get from being able to shout and cheer but also for the feeling of belonging - I'm not a joiner of clubs or societies but being part of the crowd and a Rams fan has always been important to me. Looking back I think that was particularly so during the 70's when I was a teenager but is also true now.

Archived