Has supporting Derby ever kept you going?

PrivateDerby

Derby, Football & Life  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Life can be **** at times can't it, so I was just wondering whether Super Derby or football in general has ever kept you going or provided a good distraction? Not necessarily after stories or reasons, just something I thought about. I'm not collecting data or doing stats or anything like that either.

My first poll, so be gentle  :o

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life can be **** at times can't it, so I was just wondering whether Super Derby or football in general has ever kept you going or provided a good distraction? Not necessarily after stories or reasons, just something I thought about. I'm not collecting data or doing stats or anything like that either.

My first poll, so be gentle :o

Yeah it definately takes your mind of things, nice to have some normality at difficult times.

Remember my grandad passed away, went to watch Preston at home the next day and we won 5-3. He used to take me all the time when I was younger, thought about how much he'd have enjoyed it and brought back a lot of good memories. Wasn't sure I wanted to go beforehand but I was glad I did eventually.

"I've been in this city when the teams doing well and it rocking, that's why I came back to derby to get it rocking again it's always been my dream to be number one"  - GOD

He's right I remember beating the Gunners 3-0 or 3-1 on boxing day and thinking we'd get europe. we beat southampon 4 -1 I think in the same season.

Yeah it definately takes your mind of things, nice to have some normality at difficult times.

Remember my grandad passed away, went to watch Preston at home the next day and we won 5-3. He used to take me all the time when I was younger, thought about how much he'd have enjoyed it and brought back a lot of good memories. Wasn't sure I wanted to go beforehand but I was glad I did eventually.

I've got that to come mate and i'm absolutely dreading it to be honest but glad to hear that, bet it was hard keeping it together though. 

"I've been in this city when the teams doing well and it rocking, that's why I came back to derby to get it rocking again it's always been my dream to be number one"  - GOD

He's right I remember beating the Gunners 3-0 or 3-1 on boxing day and thinking we'd get europe. we beat southampon 4 -1 I think in the same season.

I bet The Mac is thrilled with the situation at the moment, especially after a couple of ***** jobs...  seems to be really enjoying it which is nice to see.

I've got that to come mate and i'm absolutely dreading it to be honest but glad to hear that, bet it was hard keeping it together though.

Part of life to be honest, probably the hardest part we all go through is losing people close to us. Like I said it evoked good memories and I think that is the best way to get through it rather than thinking about what you've lost. Be happy with the time you had. Obviously not as simple as it sounds.

Part of life to be honest, probably the hardest part we all go through is losing people close to us. Like I said it evoked good memories and I think that is the best way to get through it rather than thinking about what you've lost. Be happy with the time you had. Obviously not as simple as it sounds.

Yeah exactly, I've lost family and friends but not the one who made me fall in love with the town and team down the road. It will be the train, the chips, the stopping every 100yds to get rid of his dead leg and his constant moaning and knocking of all things Derby that i'll miss but make me laugh, like you had i'm guessing  :lol:

being a football fan has kept me going. Derby County itself, ie Going to matches etc hasn't because they are too few and far between.

When at my lowest ebb, recently out of a relationship and made redundant, all alone and depressed at home, the banter of the football forums have seriously kept me going. Once you've done all the job hunting and applying you can do in a day, made all the phonecalls you can make, and done whatever you can to occupy your mind, there's generally a huge void that needs filling.

In recent times of unemployment, which is when I feel most worthless, it has been forums that have seen me through.

Well this year has been rubbish from start to finish for me. One crisis to another. The only thing that hasn't happened is a death.

Relationship

Illness (not me)

Finances

Work

Call me sad because it is a bit sad but it's nice coming on here and talking *****. Talking about football because football doesn't matter. Can switch off and have 20mins trawling posts and have a giggle at some posts. Or debate something. It's a good break.

Actually going to games though? No. But the football world is a nice distraction.

Why you ask PD? **** hit the fan?

Not really mate, my year has been very similar to yours though, injured at work, long term partner left, family... I think Derby, football and this head the ball forum has helped no end though... apart from your and mo55y's DIY help.

What it was more than anything else was last home game, I looked around the ground and saw all the disabled fans, without wanting to sound patronising towards them... it must be a huge part of some of their lives?

I've lost football this year. It's totally gone and I'm not sure I'll get it back. I've always had a real emotional pull to the game, to the players, to the manager and for my own reasons, as well to the club but now I feel totally empty. I can't bring myself to get attached to something that  leaves me feeling so empty when it ends.

Even this place, which has been a really big part of my life, it's almost a relief in that I won't waste anymore of my time arguing with people who I don't know. I won't get so involved as I did before because my feelings for McClaren were negative before he got here. I can see why almost everyone else is universally happy but I've never liked him and I can't lie to myself now.

2013 has been a real shitter by the sounds of things and not just for me. sorry to see the tough years had by some of the people I really like on here, glad you've at least got the football to fall back on.

Chin up and all that, 2014 has all the potential to be a very good year for Ramkind.

I voted no ,because as from the previous posts and regardless of what Shankly said football will never be more important than life or death,having said that supporting Derby certainly makes me very happy when things are good and REALLY pisses me off when they are not.

Issues like work ,relationships etc are things you deal with in life and move onwards and upwards , life is far to short to do any thing else. My Grandad and Dad were both Derby fans  now both passed away but supporting Derby is my heritage left by them.

Archived