Bryson

valleyram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 stars on the pitch for Derby today.

All three goals were brilliant in their own way - the two in the second half, well, we're probably the only team in the division capable of scoring goals like that on a consistent basis.

Bryson and Hughes were good today .

Both allowed to play because of Cisse

I think that last minute goal against Ipswich was a big moment for him, since then he has looked stronger and focused. Hat trick performance aside, his performances under Clough this season were disappointing. A lot of chasing shadows, diving in, losing position and being anonymous.

Whether Cloughs departure woke him up a bit, but he has looked an influential part of the team. When Clough was in charge, a lot of play was going through Hughes which led to a slow tempo game, now I think a lot of it is going through Bryson which he prefers. It's led to more direct football and fluidity. When he is in form, he certainly take some beating

I think that last minute goal against Ipswich was a big moment for him, since then he has looked stronger and focused. Hat trick performance aside, his performances under Clough this season were disappointing. A lot of chasing shadows, diving in, losing position and being anonymous.

Whether Cloughs departure woke him up a bit, but he has looked an influential part of the team. When Clough was in charge, a lot of play was going through Hughes which led to a slow tempo game, now I think a lot of it is going through Bryson which he prefers. It's led to more direct football and fluidity. When he is in form, he certainly take some beating

I think he's been terrific all season.

I agree entirely, seems a different player to early on in the season

I disagree with the posts above, he's been pretty sound all season IMO, not just since Clough left. 

Brighton and Yeovil stick out in particular. He's actually added end product to his overall performances compared to last season, not just that "engine room" player anymore. 

I disagree with the posts above, he's been pretty sound all season IMO, not just since Clough left. 

Brighton and Yeovil stick out in particular. He's actually added end product to his overall performances compared to last season, not just that "engine room" player anymore. 

Agree with this. Thought Bryson's form had dipped slightly last few games but seemed better today.

I wasn't at these games so can't really comment but hasn't the consensus been that away from home that we have had more time on the ball than at home? If so, I guess that probably helped.

I'm not trying to knock him, overall he has been brilliant this season and our best player. It's just at the start of this season, at home in any case, the midfield was unbalanced. We weren't winning the midfield battle and defensively not getting near the opposition, this led to more pressure on defence and a higher rate of errors. Those first few performances at home were very uninspired and there were a few players (I would count Ward, Keogh and Bryson in this) who were going through the motions. Part of Derby's improvement is that these players are starting to influence games. This is no small part to the inclusion of Eustace (and Cisse yesterday), who has helped Bryson focus on his own game a little more, and he's looked better for it

I wasn't at these games so can't really comment but hasn't the consensus been that away from home that we have had more time on the ball than at home? If so, I guess that probably helped.

I'm not trying to knock him, overall he has been brilliant this season and our best player. It's just at the start of this season, at home in any case, the midfield was unbalanced. We weren't winning the midfield battle and defensively not getting near the opposition, this led to more pressure on defence and a higher rate of errors. Those first few performances at home were very uninspired and there were a few players (I would count Ward, Keogh and Bryson in this) who were going through the motions. Part of Derby's improvement is that these players are starting to influence games. This is no small part to the inclusion of Eustace (and Cisse yesterday), who has helped Bryson focus on his own game a little more, and he's looked better for it

Key part is bolded. Eustace (or Cisse) didn't play.

No doubt Hendrick is better than Eustace but to get balance right, we have to have defensive option there too.

I really hope Cisse gets more fit and we have money to sign him up. It would be like million pound signing for free. And if we do that, I guess we could be forced to sell someone.

The whole of the midfield, aswell as the way we set up has to be to blame though surely, I can't recall any of our players standing out in the first few home games this season, as a team we struggled not just Bryson.

As for the away games, I don't think it was down to us having more time on the ball compared to at home. We've seen a lot of the ball especially against Leicester and Burnley at home but found it hard to really create anything worthwhile.

The openness of teams away from home has allowed us to get the results we have, we've looked very good on the counter too.

Going back to my original point, I just think it was a tad harsh to suggest he's only really pushed on since Clough has gone. Plenty of goals and assists before that, including a league hattrick for the first time in over a decade for the club.

Who said it was since Clough has gone? I said McLaren has tweaked further what had started to work under Clough.

Quite a few times last season though and for the first 3 home games (I missed Reading so don't know how he performed) this season he was far from comfortable in the role he was being played, we started the whole fake diamond thing in away matches which suited him better. McLaren has played more of a straight 4-3-3 in home and away games and as a result Bryson is now performing well at home instead of just away.

The whole team being below par in the first 3 home games just means that if he was playing well he'd have stood out as playing well - he didn't.

Archived