NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

He has been given a two and half year deal so thinks its perfect fit for Nige and club, If I was the board I would want to be a stable championship team after a couple of season I dont see why not with Nige in charge, good luck to Nige.

thank god Nige was put ini charge when we got relegated or we might of gone down again like so many clubs have including Sheff U.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blades get their man - Nigel Clough appointed as new team manager

Nigel Clough is the new manager of Sheffield United Football Club.

Clough, 47, takes over with immediate effect and, following a detailed briefing from interim manager Chris Morgan, will be in charge of team affairs for Saturday's home game against Crewe.

United's co-chairman, Kevin McCabe, commented: "Nigel has a tremendous pedigree in the game. He brings undoubted experience and can provide stability, energy and confidence to the playing side drawing on his 11 years at Burton Albion followed by over four and a half years with Derby County in the Championship."

Co-chairman Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud added: "Nigel was the clear, first choice of the board. He brings an approach to the game that is well suited to what we are trying to achieve at Sheffield United. Nigel has enjoyed managerial success in the game. He knows how to inspire first team players to give their all and has a proven track record of making an academy a key ingredient to the club's success. We count ourselves lucky to have Nigel aboard."

Capped 14 times by England as a player, Clough represented Nottingham Forest, Liverpool and Manchester City with distinction before cutting his teeth in management with Burton Albion, guiding the Brewers into the Football League. He took over at Derby County in January 2009, helping them escape relegation in his first season, whilst in the last two campaigns he has improved the final league position of the Rams.

Both Mr McCabe and Prince Abdullah acknowledged the role of Chris Morgan as interim manager describing his contributions as "first class" and providing a solid base from which Nigel Clough can begin his management era at Bramall Lane.

Prince Abdullah added: "Chris Morgan embodies what it means to be a Blade. Chris has a can-do attitude, a fighting spirit, and a gritty resolve. Add to this that he is a fierce competitor and a true gentleman, and you begin to get the picture. During these last three matches, Chris awoke in our lads a belief. That's a foundation we can build on."

Ex-skipper Chris Morgan, who will continue his responsibilities for the club's U21s, will remain as part of the coaching team being assembled by Nigel Clough, which will feature Gary Crosby and Andy Garner, part of his coaching team at Derby and previously Burton. Nigel's brother, Simon, is joining United's scouting structure - http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20131023-nigel-clough-appointed-1130477.aspx

Strange appointment for me.

I understand bringing him in to get out of trouble and steady the ship. But don't they see themselves in the PL in 5 years or something like that? He isn't the man for that.

Maybe that's the way he'll be viewed - someone to get things under control for someone else to take forward.

Whatever , good luck to Nigel, will always keep an eye out for how he's doing.

He really needs to do himself a favour and take a long look at his backroom staff. If I were him I'd take Metgod but dispose of the rest. 

Chris Morgan is highly thought of there too by fans and board (most fans would prefer Morgan than Clough). I wonder if Clough will work with him or get rid?

Looks like Marlon will be looking for a new job soon.

Accoring to BBC Morgan's staying but not in what capacity, perhaps he'll take up the Metog role?  Will be interesting to see if a new member of his backroom staff change his ways.  I always got the feeling there was nobody challenging him in his decisions.  Much like all the crew on the Star Wars prequels saying "Great George" when he came up with Jar-Jar Binks...

Archived