Sam Rush

PistoldPete2

Found the job spec for Sam Rush

Chief Executive Officer
Derby County Football Club, Derby

Derby County Football Club is one of the oldest established professional clubs in the world. Formed in 1884, the Rams were one of the 12 founding members of the English Football League and won the (Premier) League Championship twice in the 70’s. The Club also won the FA Cup in 1946. The current owners understand the need to maintain and further this rich history and heritage.

The Role

 Working with the Board, the Chief Executive will hold primary responsibility and accountability for driving the agreed strategic direction of the Club and to lead, manage and grow the revenues and profit aligned to the strategic and operational priorities in order to reinvest in the squads through the academy to the 1st team.

 Acting as an ambassador of the Club, promoting its agenda and ensuring that all key relationships are developed and progressed.

 Delivering the commercial and sporting objectives of the Club in a complementary and harmonious way, whist maintaining a united interface between the wider Community, Fans and the Professional team.

The Candidate

 Must have a track-record, knowledge and experience that will be instantly credible and sustainable within a football environment.

 Substantial and proven success as a Chief Executive, Managing Director or General Manager in a significant organisation; operating in a consumer facing business with significant P&L and balance sheet accountability.

 Proven ability to establish a strategic vision for a business and to lead the organisational, management and cultural changes to realise that vision. A strong track record of delivering against demanding commercial targets with evidence of success in generating organic growth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are the only established Championship side who never managed to loan a Man United player. Not sure the respect you say SAF had for BC is/was extended to NC.

add: Before anyone picks me up on that, somebody mentioned this, and I'm too lazy to research it.

Last Man utd player we had was Jones, if I'm correct - obviously a BD signing

I think we are the only established Championship side who never managed to loan a Man United player. Not sure the respect you say SAF had for BC is/was extended to NC.

add: Before anyone picks me up on that, somebody mentioned this, and I'm too lazy to research it.

By all accounts we were on the verge of doing so until NC left.

I think we are the only established Championship side who never managed to loan a Man United player. Not sure the respect you say SAF had for BC is/was extended to NC.

How do you explain why Ferguson brought a good strong Utd team to open the Pirelli stadium?

How has another dig at Nigel found its way into yet another thread?

On the Sam Rush and Technical Director topic. I think there's a lot of people who are dismissing it without it even being in place yet. Is this just a case of the unknown and due to it not being how English clubs have been run in the past? It happens across Europe and it is happening here more and more.

As long as the right man is appointed then it should not be an issue. It's the same as coaches though, it's about getting the right people in. If the right director is appointed then it'll be fine and will work well like it does at countless other clubs. Just because England is a slow adaptor to this style doesn't mean we should pour scorn on it before it's even tried.

I like the prospect of us implementing it. It allows McClaren stick to what he's best at, coaching.

I was thinking this too

Normanton even said that he loves the new management team, but doesn't trust Rush

Who do you think went out of their way to get us a decent management team?! He obviously knew better than anyone else at the football club in the past 5 years and stamped out those he deemed not to be good enough. Rush should be the one being thanked in my book.

Because they were spoilt for choice weren't they ?

How has another dig at Nigel found its way into yet another thread?

On the Sam Rush and Technical Director topic. I think there's a lot of people who are dismissing it without it even being in place yet. Is this just a case of the unknown and due to it not being how English clubs have been run in the past? It happens across Europe and it is happening here more and more.

As long as the right man is appointed then it should not be an issue. It's the same as coaches though, it's about getting the right people in. If the right director is appointed then it'll be fine and will work well like it does at countless other clubs. Just because England is a slow adaptor to this style doesn't mean we should pour scorn on it before it's even tried.

I like the prospect of us implementing it. It allows McClaren stick to what he's best at, coaching.

I agree, listening to them explain what the role will be, a bloke doing the donkey work for McClaren when recruiting, basically, it makes sense.

How do you explain why Ferguson brought a good strong Utd team to open the Pirelli stadium?

Nigel is well liked and respected in the football community Ronnie. What ever is said on this forum will never change that. I get that some Derby fans don't like him and one or two have a personal issue with him but, generally, he has a good reputation and is well thought of amongst football professionals.

You may well be wasting your time debating the subject with some posters!

Nigel is well liked and respected in the football community Ronnie. What ever is said on this forum will never change that. I get that some Derby fans don't like him and one or two have a personal issue with him but, generally, he has a good reputation and is well thought of amongst football professionals.

You may well be wasting your time debating the subject with some posters!

Most non-Rams fans I speak to are surprised he was sacked.

Maybe we have higher expectations for Derby than the people outside of Derby have of us.

It amuses me greatly that the main reason for not trusting Sam Rush is he got sick of under-achieving with an unprofessional coaching and management set-up and moved to correct that, and in turn, try to move us forward.

Unprofessional ?? Why so?

Lack of coaching badges, mates as fellow coaches, brother has chief scout... Need I go on?

Got his coaching badges now, fellow coaches basically got Burton into the league and have also convinced Sheffield United that they are good enough for them too. Can't comment on the scouting performed by Nigel's brother - other than to say that if he was responsible for Craig Bryson, he must have been doing something right.

Yes, I think you do need to go on. You obviously seem to think that they weren't up to the job - whereas given the principle task in hand (which was to stop the rot, keep us in the division, prune the astronomical wage bill and to get the club moving in the right direction all at the same time), they quite obviously were.

The real surprise was that the board actually took some sort of action. I struggle to understand the hatred/complete distrust for Rush when all that has happened is a change to hopefully take Derby forward. The easy choice would have been to stick with Clough and let him see out his contract.

I felt the club had gone stale, life seems to have been returned. It has become so petty on here, picking on every little word Rush says and if he is telling porkies or not, words are just words. I shall make my opinion based on the actions he takes and so far, I have nothing to be concerned about.

Can't comment on the scouting performed by Nigel's brother - other than to say that if he was responsible for Craig Bryson, he must have been doing something right.

The only nit-picky / questionable thing I can come up with here is that Bryson was known to the club under Billy Davies and had a trial, even though we didn't sign him. Then the ownership (once), management and coaching set-up (twice) changed.

The question is whether the accumulated scouting knowledge would have been passed through despite all the changes. The plaudits for actually going ahead and signing Bryson go to Nigel Clough, but did he really 'find' him?

Told you it was nit-picky!

Lack of coaching badges, mates as fellow coaches, brother has chief scout... Need I go on?

Most managers appoint coaches that they know and trust, where is the problem with that? Why is it a problem that his brother was appointed as a scout? Simon Clough would have known exactly what sort of player in terms of skill/personal attributes that Nigel Clough wanted. Speak to most experienced managers about the coaching badges and I would guess that not many of them would feel that they benefited that much from them. I can see the value of them for up and coming coaches and even more so for those that are seriously coaching in an academy situation.

Most managers appoint coaches that they know and trust, where is the problem with that? Why is it a problem that his brother was appointed as a scout? Simon Clough would have known exactly what sort of player in terms of skill/personal attributes that Nigel Clough wanted. Speak to most experienced managers about the coaching badges and I would guess that not many of them would feel that they benefited that much from them. I can see the value of them for up and coming coaches and even more so for those that are seriously coaching in an academy situation.

Coaching badges mean jackshit to someone who has played professional football.

Archived