Sam Rush

PistoldPete2

Long chat with Sam :

1) Rams are still thinking top six this season. Don’t need to fear anyone , except maybe QPR, but its a tough League.
2) Wisdom signed to play RB or CB to add physicality to the defence. Freeman is option  for LB.
3) New DOF will be in place within next month, in good time for recruitment (and decruitment) in January).
4) Strategy needed to move on  players who are out of favour. This will be DOF’s job, not a detail for Shteve.
5) Shteve recognises he did everything wrong at Forest , Doughty had lost interest, but he also tried to get instant results. Shteve hates Forest.
6) Shteve’s recent profile (working abroad , managing England and in the Prem) didn’t totally fit a championship team, but Sam thought he had got back up to speed with his short spell at QPR , and brought in Simo to help (more useful to him in the Championship than Hasselbaink was at Forest).
7)  Cisse still on trial but not fully fit.
8) If we get to international break on good form, we could be seeing players returning, Hendrick , Bailey, Russell. No fixed  time frame for Barker, in light training only.
9)  Whitbread only has calf strain, he may stay  beyond January.
10) Expecting biggest non-Forest home fans gate in ages against Brum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I correct then in thinking DOF will decide the squad and McLaren just has to coach them and get on with it.. Even if he cant dtand someone?

I very much doubt there will be a disconnect like that. Who's best interest would that be in?

I'd imagine the conversations be like "I've identified these players... What do you think?" Or oppositely "after working with player x, it's not working, can we try move him on?" Etc

Am I correct then in thinking DOF will decide the squad and McLaren just has to coach them and get on with it.. Even if he cant dtand someone?

No my understanding is that McClaren will decide who he wants and the DoF will sort out acquiring them. DoF will also be in charge of finding new clubs for those not in McClarens plans.

I see the DoF having the scouting network and contacts so Steve says "we need a defensive midfielder" the DoF sends this out to the scouts. The scouts come back with options, Steve picks his choice(s) and the DoF sorts out trying to get them.

It kind of read that " players who are out of favour" will bedealt with by DOF and not the coaching staff.

Never happen. The one who picks the team, trains it, works with the players day in day out will have the last say on who, what , where, why on those out of favour!

Think it will be more like DOF is told who is out of favour and then speaks to his contacts to see if he can get rid.

Think it will be more like DOF is told who is out of favour and then speaks to his contacts to see if he can get rid.

Thats how i understood what Sam said; it must be Maclaren who picks the team so he will decide who he wants and who he doesnt want.

Shteve will identify the sort of player he wants and then DOF and scouts will be asked to come back with a list to discuss with Shteve.

Recipe for disaster

Recipe for disaster

I agree. I suspect that the scouting team will build a portfolio of players young and old, premier league to non league, UK & foreign and nobody will be signed until McClaren et al have seen them a few times. It is the only way it can happen. Getting shot of players is different, the Sporting Director will be told to help them find a new club for the benefit of Derby & the player.

We've been terrible at selling players for a while. It seems that most the players we want to sell we cant get rid of unless we give them away for far less than theyre worth.

The DOF should give us enough value just from doing this properly

Why?

Let the manager manage.

Let him identify the players he wants......not just the type of players to be discussed.

Support him, help him, fine.

But don't employ scouts he doesn't trust.

Don't overrule him by a director of football

Unless you want him to walk as soon as he's had enough.

For me the DoF and the head coach are two Heads of Department both reporting to the CEO but with different jobs and responsibilities and different people working for them. They are equals within the overall club.

In order for the whole organisation to work properly they have to be able to work together, the CEO has to make sure that they do and also has to lay down the overall strategy which he agrees with the board. They both answer to the CEO not the Chairman.

It's very different from the old days when the team manager effectively ran the club, scouting arrangements, Administration and all the rest of it, answering only to the Chairman, and sometimes not even to them

There are pros and cons to any system but Sam Rush's job will be to make it work and he will aim to appoint a DoF who will work with Steve Maclaren

Let the manager manage.

Let him identify the players he wants......not just the type of players to be discussed.

Support him, help him, fine.

But don't employ scouts he doesn't trust.

Don't overrule him by a director of football

Unless you want him to walk as soon as he's had enough.

I think you misunderstand the proposed system. McClaren will remain in charge of football matters and whoever comes in to assist in this side of the business would not be able to overrule him - they would work to his brief.

The people running Derby aren't complete idiots. Of course no one would employ scouts the head coach doesn't trust, just as the buck will stop with the head coach and not the DoF or head of recruitment or whatever title he or she is awarded.

He or she.......things are going from bad to worse.

I would question why the director of football is a director........directors boss managers, and not vice versa.

The problems happen when the roles are not clearly defined. Ferguson always said that the Manager (Head Coach?) must always be in control.

If Steve can just tell the DoF that players a, b, and c are not wanted and let the DoF deal with their agents, contracts, selling price, potential buyers etc, then thats all good as he can concentrate on coaching the players he wants.

Turning it round though, he may want to be involved in recruitment as the manager/head coach can influence a player face to face by inspiring him, selling the club, convincing him he's wanted. its not as simple as giving the DoF a list.

With the right people and clearly defined roles, it may work but its fraught and hasn't really turned out well in the UK yet.

Archived