How different it feels.

Mostyn6

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say I'd change my mind if we beat Watford. It's that kind of twisitng which eventually leads to someone coming on and saying I'm anti Mac.

I said I might start warming to him if we beat Watford and he gets a grip of himself fashion wise and starts speaking in proper language and not just a series of cliches.

He's got a long way to in my eyes, Ipswich and Leeds is two points dropped, not 4 points gained.

Good job he didn't start until the day after the Ipswich game!

There is no doubt that there is a feeling of excitement and expectation running through the club. The script was written as soon as we came back against Ipswich. I often said that the only thing missing under Nigel was a collective feel good factor. No credit to Steve no detriment to Nigel but, at the moment, we have the feel good factor back. Long may it continue!

I think we should all remember that the comeback against Ipswich and the qualities shown against Leeds are really down to Clough and his staff, not Maclaren.

He brought all those players in and created the team spirit and togetherness.

I'll admit that Maclaren got them going again after an appalling first half against Ipswich, but that still needed the right attitude from the players to carry it through.

I also find it amazing that no-one has berated Maclaren for bringing Bucko on 5 minutes from the end to sit in front of the back 4.

Pretty negative tactics that.

I think we should all remember that the comeback against Ipswich and the qualities shown against Leeds are really down to Clough and his staff, not McClaren.

He brought all those players in and created the team spirit and togetherness.

I'll admit that McClaren got them going again after an appalling first half against Ipswich, but that still needed the right attitude from the players to carry it through.

I also find it amazing that no-one has berated McClaren for bringing Bucko on 5 minutes from the end to sit in front of the back 4.

Pretty negative tactics that.

DIFFERENCE BEING THAT MCCLAREN DID IT WHEN WE WERE LEADING 3-1, NOT WHEN WE NEED A GOAL!

DIFFERENCE BEING THAT MCCLAREN DID IT WHEN WE WERE LEADING 3-1, NOT WHEN WE NEED A GOAL!

Sorry to inconvenience you Old Boy, but you could you possibly illuminate us to the occasions when NC put Buxton on as a defensive midfielder in a game we were losing?

Sorry to inconvenience you Old Boy, but you could you possibly illuminate us to the occasions when NC put Buxton on as a defensive midfielder in a game we were losing?

Who said anything about losing? We could have been drawing. And no, I cannot be arsed.

Hoist by your own petard, Mostyn.

"Needing a goal", and "losing", are two different things. There were times when we were 0-0 or 1-1 and should be going for a winner when the manager at the time decided to put Russell Anderson, Valentin Gjokal, or Jake Buxton (and maybe others) in a defensive and protective move.

2 games that stick out in my memory where he brought a defender on when we looked the more likely team to score, both at 1-1, both straight after we scored, are Hull and Barnsley (frigging Barnsley!!) away. We conceded within 2 mins of bringing the defender on against Hull and against Barnsley Sammon put a ball in for his strike to tap in to only see him sitting on the bench.

Somewhere amongst another Sage and Mostyn show there might actually be a debate to be had. But for every interesting thing I read I have to then go through 2 or 3 posts on nonsense before I get to another one and I find it difficult to to continue the thread. I do, for whatever reason, feel more excited. It's not because it's McClaren and it's not because we beat Leeds. I think it's because I thought I knew what was coming under Nigel. Patches of good form followed by patches of bad form. Times where we looked like a great footballing team followed by weeks and weeks where we can't buy a win. Ultimately ending in mid table and splitting the fans as one lot would say we were only x amount of points from play-offs and the others saying we were only x amount from relegation. It was repeat infinitum and now it isn't. It's unknown. Will we be better? No idea but I'm excited to find out.

Somewhere amongst another Sage and Mostyn show there might actually be a debate to be had. But for every interesting thing I read I have to then go through 2 or 3 posts on nonsense before I get to another one and I find it difficult to to continue the thread. I do, for whatever reason, feel more excited. It's not because it's McClaren and it's not because we beat Leeds. I think it's because I thought I knew what was coming under Nigel. Patches of good form followed by patches of bad form. Times where we looked like a great footballing team followed by weeks and weeks where we can't buy a win. Ultimately ending in mid table and splitting the fans as one lot would say we were only x amount of points from play-offs and the others saying we were only x amount from relegation. It was repeat infinitum and now it isn't. It's unknown. Will we be better? No idea but I'm excited to find out.

How can you say that you have no idea if we’ll be better or not? You were never a fence sitter. You thought NC was a donkey, mocked what he said, regularly posted your opinion about what you saw as his many faults, and said he was the main reason we weren’t challenging for promotion. In the end SR seemed to share your view.

On the other hand, I generally thought it was the lack of funding for the squad and quality of player available that was much more important.

With the change of manager we might find out a bit more about this.

It’s hardly a perfect experiment but it’s as good as we are going to get. So, will SM with the same resources get us seriously challenging for promotion and into the top 6 or not? Or will he do what I think NC would have done and make an improvement compared to last season without seriously challenging for the top 6 and getting to the play offs?

I’m excited to find out.

How can you say that you have no idea if we’ll be better or not? You were never a fence sitter. You thought NC was a donkey, mocked what he said, regularly posted your opinion about what you saw as his many faults, and said he was the main reason we weren’t challenging for promotion. In the end SR seemed to share your view.

On the other hand, I generally thought it was the lack of funding for the squad and quality of player available that was much more important.

With the change of manager we might find out a bit more about this.

It’s hardly a perfect experiment but it’s as good as we are going to get. So, will SM with the same resources get us seriously challenging for promotion and into the top 6 or not? Or will he do what I think NC would have done and make an improvement compared to last season without seriously challenging for the top 6 and getting to the play offs?

I’m excited to find out.

Just because I didn't rate the old boss doesn't mean I have to instantly believe in his replacement. There's no logic in that.

Also I never thought Nigel was a "donkey", I never said we should be challenging for promotion and I never 'mocked' him. I had enough of the same thing season after season and the apathy that had produced, I didn't agree with his tactics and I didn't like his comments about individual players but "mocking" and "donkey" are far off the mark. I was never derisory towards him - I think the worst I ever said was about him saying we didn't need a CB - and I acknowledged his work in the academy and him steadying the ship when he first came in.

I don't want this to turn into one of those tit for tat things that happen on this board from time to time so let's leave it there.

I must admit that I haven't been this excited about the Rams for a long time. I always liked Steve McClaren and think he is a very good choice at this level. I also think that Eric Steele working with our goalies will be boost for them. The only worry I now have is the owners. Even if we get a crazy money somewhere down the line for selling Will Hughes I don't trust them spending it for strenghtening the team.

We won't get top six this year but within 2-3 years after that we might get the promotion even.

I must admit that I haven't been this excited about the Rams for a long time. I always liked Steve McClaren and think he is a very good choice at this level. I also think that Eric Steele working with our goalies will be boost for them. The only worry I now have is the owners. Even if we get a crazy money somewhere down the line for selling Will Hughes I don't trust them spending it for strenghtening the team.

We won't get top six this year but within 2-3 years after that we might get the promotion even.

Well Rush has backed himself into a corner a bit now with the "there was money to spend" comment after Nigel left. If there's no money for McClaren then that line becomes unbelievable

Well Rush has backed himself into a corner a bit now with the "there was money to spend" comment after Nigel left. If there's no money for McClaren then that line becomes unbelievable

In recent years I have seen too much of unbelievable from the owners.

Archived