How different it feels.

Mostyn6

anyone at this stage who is not behind McClaren and new coaches is FAR FAR worse than anyone who was not behind Clough after 4 years!

I was never anti-Clough, I was pro-Derby. Clough had as much time as it took me to lose faith, but to start with, I was very optimistic that Pearson had pulled off a masterstroke!

Anyone who was behind Clough but isn't behind McClaren is not a true Derby fan to me, and it backs my theory that they were behind the romance of the name Clough over the belief in his ability.

Kind of replying to all 3 or four of your posts together Mostyn. Hope you got a bit of sun on your back and came back relaxed.

What about if you really didn't like him, I mean really didn't like him, didn't like his cliches, didn't like his failures, didn't find him as inspiring as some others do, didn't like his squinting, didn't like his jacket and trouser combination, didn't like his ginger hair and didn't think he's very intelligent. On top of that  I don't know if he smells or not, I doubt it, but he might.

Why am I now worse than others for thinking like that?

Could I not back him then? Could I make it so that he had to win me over first? Could I make it so that I have to see a change with my own eyes before falling head over heels in love? Christ this place is so ready to proclaim Steve as the guru of the game that they gave 21 likes to a guy who was a wum. That's how ready most are to fawn over the ginger one.

McClaren has got Forsyth playing like Pyscho according to the Radio Derby team who insist everything good that we're doing is down to a brand new approach. Forgetting that we were playing teams off the park before he got here.

I get it, I understand it fully, he's new, he's fresh and the old guy was a bit dull.

He's had a good start, I fully agree with that. A very good start under the circumstances. to lift the payers from where they were on Tuesday to where they must be now, is a very solid start indeed.

I think you're feeling more positive because you want to be feeling more positive, nothing more nothing less. You want to be behind McClaren, you want to believe in the romance of a well respected coach getting hold of the club, you want to believe the 3 ex rams with a decent track record elsewhere are going to be the ones who get this club over the line.

It would be lovely wouldn't it? If that were to happen. Romantic even.

Nowt at all wrong with that, it's good to see, a refreshing change.

Me?

I'm not convinced this McClaren fella is going to take us any further than we already could have got without him.

If he wins away at Watford, wears a matching suit WITHOUT a grey or blue sweater underneath his jacket, maybe slicks his hair back a bit and then gives a decent press conference, I might start warming to him.

Until then, no, he's not for me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone at this stage who is not behind McClaren and new coaches is FAR FAR worse than anyone who was not behind Clough after 4 years!

I was never anti-Clough, I was pro-Derby. Clough had as much time as it took me to lose faith, but to start with, I was very optimistic that Pearson had pulled off a masterstroke!

Anyone who was behind Clough but isn't behind McClaren is not a true Derby fan to me, and it backs my theory that they were behind the romance of the name Clough over the belief in his ability.

I think you're getting your conspiracy theories mixed up with your football theories now mostyn....

If Leeds are poor, then every team we beat are poor. We are currently 10th and we haven't lost to any of the teams below us yet. All of the teams that have beat us are in the top 7.

Well... strictly speaking, we have beaten the teams we would have expected to beat, with the exception of Brighton but then they are having quite a poor season. I'd say a draw with Bolton was maybe unexpected but again they are having a terrible season.

The problem last season wasn't that we couldn't beat teams below us (although away from home that was often the case), it's that the most we could hope for against the teams above us would be a draw.

Until we start getting some positive results, or even just clear signs of improvement, in tricky games (upcoming fixtures vs Watford, QPR and Wigan will be a real test) I'm not sure I can fully get on board the 'excited about the possibilities before every game' bandwagon.

But that's just me - I have never been confident about football results going the way I want even at the best of times!

Sorry Mostyn, but I really do think there's a danger that you may have gone off the deep end without checking whether there's any water in the pool. It's not your place to judge whether someone is, or is not, a true Derby fan.

Neither the manager nor the board is the club.

But it was okay for others to judge me and rip me apart even though I allowed Clough time to show his magic before questioning his suitability? Hmmmmm

Liar, Liar, Pants on fire

You have said that you were anti-Clough from 15 games into his stay at Derby 

Not that you have any right to say who is and isn't a Derby fan based on their opinions, but could you please name all the people on here who aren't backing McLaren and don't want Derby to do well. 

'Anti-Clough'? Are you sure? May have had no faith in Clough, or questioned his set-up, but NEVER 'anti', as that in itself was anti-Derby!

I didn't suggest there was anyone in particular on here, but just pre-empting it. There are some bizarre comments which almost seem anti-Derby now that Clough is not the manager.

I think you're getting your conspiracy theories mixed up with your football theories now mostyn....

I have no idea what you're on about!

For me, it's a little too early in the day for making grandiose statements about the McClaren effect.

He's had two games so far and yup full thumbs up from me for the results in both. However remember we're still in the honeymoon phase (and long may it continue), but Clough also had a similar effect when he first came on board.

I'd imagine it won't be until Xmas before we can start assessing the genuine effect he's had on our overall trajectory.

Kind of replying to all 3 or four of your posts together Mostyn. Hope you got a bit of sun on your back and came back relaxed.

What about if you really didn't like him, I mean really didn't like him, didn't like his cliches, didn't like his failures, didn't find him as inspiring as some others do, didn't like his squinting, didn't like his jacket and trouser combination, didn't like his ginger hair and didn't think he's very intelligent. On top of that  I don't know if he smells or not, I doubt it, but he might.

Why am I now worse than others for thinking like that?

Could I not back him then? Could I make it so that he had to win me over first? Could I make it so that I have to see a change with my own eyes before falling head over heels in love? Christ this place is so ready to proclaim Steve as the guru of the game that they gave 21 likes to a guy who was a wum. That's how ready most are to fawn over the ginger one.

McClaren has got Forsyth playing like Pyscho according to the Radio Derby team who insist everything good that we're doing is down to a brand new approach. Forgetting that we were playing teams off the park before he got here.

I get it, I understand it fully, he's new, he's fresh and the old guy was a bit dull.

He's had a good start, I fully agree with that. A very good start under the circumstances. to lift the payers from where they were on Tuesday to where they must be now, is a very solid start indeed.

I think you're feeling more positive because you want to be feeling more positive, nothing more nothing less. You want to be behind McClaren, you want to believe in the romance of a well respected coach getting hold of the club, you want to believe the 3 ex rams with a decent track record elsewhere are going to be the ones who get this club over the line.

It would be lovely wouldn't it? If that were to happen. Romantic even.

Nowt at all wrong with that, it's good to see, a refreshing change.

Me?

I'm not convinced this McClaren fella is going to take us any further than we already could have got without him.

If he wins away at Watford, wears a matching suit WITHOUT a grey or blue sweater underneath his jacket, maybe slicks his hair back a bit and then gives a decent press conference, I might start warming to him.

Until then, no, he's not for me.

Apart from the bits that make no difference whatsoever to his ability to do the job, ie appearance, that's a sensible post. On that though, I didn't think Clough was a worse manager for saying 'errrr' every sentence or wearing the number 9 instead of a suit, or for lacking the style of an Italian manager, as managers should be judged on management.

The rest, is fair. Maybe I worded it wrong, by getting behind McClaren, I mean just that, encouraging him to perform and willing him to do well. That's not to suggest people want him to do well, even though I know some want him to fail.

Yes, he has to win people over. I'm certainly under no illusion that his management guarantees anything.

Your suggestion I just want to be feeling more positive is wrong though, I'm feeling it because of a mutlitude of reasons. The decision actually being made to replace Clough is one thing, it shows that those people we thought couldn't care less actually do care. The appointment of someone high-profile is a positive move, we could've gone down the route of an up-and-coming, but unproven football man. The appointment of Steele is massive for me. This man turned down Premier League roles recently to stay self-employed. I also recently heard that Simmo was earning a pretty good reputation for himself as a coach. These are massively positive for me, and that's before we get onto the field of play. The level of professionalism has improved markedly.

On the pitch, well, the comeback against Ipswich speaks for itself, maybe it's a one off, but I have no reason yet to believe we cannot do that again if needed. Under the previous regime, I doubt we could've done that, and I base that on the history under that regime. Similarly the Leeds game showed an intention to continue to be positive beyond the one-goal lead.

Things I'm optimistic of now, that I wasn't previously. Lee Grant COULD improve now (wouldn't before) Forsyth and Smith roles COULD change to leave them less exposed. Keogh and Buxton COULD be more organised and many more things that once seemed like closed doors are now open.

i was shocked when i heard clough has gone i didn't think for one moment the yanks would have sacked him, but as it turns out they did but i am still a little pissed off with them how they did it, and i think should have at least done it face to face, he dervse that much at the very least i have been sacked over phone before it is not nice as you do not get the chance tell your side of story. so for me sam rush has lost total respect from me. but with steve mclean in charge now i can see a difference already but i think were missing a strong centre back slash leader someone like igore was.

But it was okay for others to judge me and rip me apart even though I allowed Clough time to show his magic before questioning his suitability? Hmmmmm

'Anti-Clough'? Are you sure? May have had no faith in Clough, or questioned his set-up, but NEVER 'anti', as that in itself was anti-Derby!

I didn't suggest there was anyone in particular on here, but just pre-empting it. There are some bizarre comments which almost seem anti-Derby now that Clough is not the manager.

I have no idea what you're on about!

So you are making wild accusations, vilifying fellow Derby fans, on no evidence whatsoever, just in case someone does say something you don't like. You really are a piece of work.   

and i think should have at least done it face to face, he dervse that much at the very least i have been sacked over phone before it is not nice as you do not get the chance tell your side of story. so for me sam rush has lost total respect from me.

Listen now, and listen good

We attempted to tell him face to face, we called him in for a meeting.

Nigel Clough decided he didn't want to attend this meeting and requested we give him the news there and then over the phone.

If you're losing respect and holding grudges against people for it being done over the phone, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

So you are making wild accusations, vilifying fellow Derby fans, on no evidence whatsoever, just in case someone does say something you don't like. You really are a piece of work.   

Get off your pedestal! There is/are comments I've read, but I know what you're like and I seriously cannot be arsed to go rooting them out, so for the ease of the thread and to prevent you from spoiling yet another one in your crusade to gain popularity by hanging on to my coat-tails, I simplified my post, but YES, there are comments that do suggest that the poster will laugh when McClaren fails and shove it down Rush's throat etc.

i was shocked when i heard clough has gone i didn't think for one moment the Americans would have sacked him, but as it turns out they did but i am still a little pissed off with them how they did it, and i think should have at least done it face to face, he dervse that much at the very least i have been sacked over phone before it is not nice as you do not get the chance tell your side of story. so for me sam rush has lost total respect from me. but with Steve McClaren in charge now i can see a difference already but i think were missing a strong centre back slash leader someone like igore was.

a) the americans? er.... I think Sam Rush is English.

b) my understanding is that Clough, by his actions on the coach and his reluctance to attend a meeting left his position untenable and no alternative but over the phone.

c) Sam Rush has made a decision that some would be able to justify being made three years earlier!

Here we go again. You have stated until then he's not for you. Why what's he done wrong in your eyes. Is he the devil incarnate or what then

You've really got to chill out with the here we go again, it's been two weeks, try banging your head against a  brick wall for four years and you might get what I've gone through reading some of your posts.

Not the devil reincarnate no, Nothing as wild as that Curtains.

This is me, not some deluded troll.

Put it this way, with the platform he's been left, he shouldn't screw it up and we should be top 8. All he can do is take us higher than that but I'm worried he has as much potential to split the squad down the middle but signing the wrong type. What happens the minute he brings in this exciting superstar on close to 20k a week? How do the other 18 lads feel then>

As well as that, I've seen him crumble mentally before my eyes at least 3 times (i may be harshly judging him here but I don't think he left any of England, Boro, Forest, Twente or Wolfsburg in the right manner). I've seen him walk out on clubs at least three times unable to do the job he was brought in to do.

I don't think this Derby job is an easy one, no matter which division we're playing in. I think there will be times it will be tough, when those fickle Derby fans come out when we've lost two games in a row.

I think even if he is successful he'll use the club as a stepping stone to further his own career, I think this move is to get him back in the shop window of premier league clubs and I think he's fortunate to be given this opportunity after a couple of failures and one or two fairly high profile moments of ridicule.

I think it's impossible for him and others to forget those and I think the first time it get's tough, all the old wally with the brolly cliches will come out and he'll crumble again.

That's what I'm nervous about, that he might crumble and take down this team with him. I'm probably worried for nothing and he'll have us fourth at Christmas, but you know what its like to worry about your own football club don't you Curtains? Surely?

I'm not under any circumstances wishing that to happen, I'm not wishing any other than Derby County wins but I don't trust this manager to stick around. Through good or bad times.

Listen now, and listen good

We attempted to tell him face to face, we called him in for a meeting.

Nigel Clough decided he didn't want to attend this meeting and requested we give him the news there and then over the phone.

If you're losing respect and holding grudges against people for it being done over the phone, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

We?

Am I missing something here?

Which member of the board are you?

Ha, I suppose it does look like that.

We = Derby County Football Club.

It's the same as when talking about 'our' performances, 'our' results, 'our team'.

We don't own them nor do we play for them. The team's performance is not our performance.

Our performance is solely that of physical presence and audible support.

You've really got to chill out with the here we go again, it's been two weeks, try banging your head against a  brick wall for four years and you might get what I've gone through reading some of your posts.

Not the devil reincarnate no, Nothing as wild as that Curtains.

This is me, not some deluded troll.

Put it this way, with the platform he's been left, he shouldn't screw it up and we should be top 8. All he can do is take us higher than that but I'm worried he has as much potential to split the squad down the middle but signing the wrong type. What happens the minute he brings in this exciting superstar on close to 20k a week? How do the other 18 lads feel then>

As well as that, I've seen him crumble mentally before my eyes at least 3 times (i may be harshly judging him here but I don't think he left any of England, Boro, Forest, Twente or Wolfsburg in the right manner). I've seen him walk out on clubs at least three times unable to do the job he was brought in to do.

I don't think this Derby job is an easy one, no matter which division we're playing in. I think there will be times it will be tough, when those fickle Derby fans come out when we've lost two games in a row.

I think even if he is successful he'll use the club as a stepping stone to further his own career, I think this move is to get him back in the shop window of premier league clubs and I think he's fortunate to be given this opportunity after a couple of failures and one or two fairly high profile moments of ridicule.

I think it's impossible for him and others to forget those and I think the first time it get's tough, all the old wally with the brolly cliches will come out and he'll crumble again.

That's what I'm nervous about, that he might crumble and take down this team with him. I'm probably worried for nothing and he'll have us fourth at Christmas, but you know what its like to worry about your own football club don't you Curtains? Surely?

I'm not under any circumstances wishing that to happen, I'm not wishing any other than Derby County wins but I don't trust this manager to stick around. Through good or bad times.

I think he left Boro for the England job.

I think he left England because Scott Carson let a Neville back pass in.

I think he left Twente as defending champions to go to Wolfsburg for a payrise.

I think he left Wolfsburg because the job was too big for him.

I think he left Forest cos they misled him about finances.

I think he left Twente (the second time) because they sold his best player and he couldn't get into top2.

I generally think we are the right sized club and in the right situation, credit to Nigel Clough, for McClaren to have success. A couple of his jobs were too big for him, which I'm fine with, we aren't the biggest club. The Forest job was a farce for a couple of seasons, we all know it. If he has success and it springboards him to a bigger job, then so be it. Most managers do it, even Nigel did to leave Burton and come here.

Get off your pedestal! There is/are comments I've read, but I know what you're like and I seriously cannot be arsed to go rooting them out, so for the ease of the thread and to prevent you from spoiling yet another one in your crusade to gain popularity by hanging on to my coat-tails, I simplified my post, but YES, there are comments that do suggest that the poster will laugh when McClaren fails and shove it down Rush's throat etc.

Hold on, you said it was pre-emptive, with no-one on here in mind? 

Which one is it?

So for the ease of a thread, you don't want to evidence your accusations?

So there is a poster? One poster? Does that warrant a whole new thread? Just respond to his/her comments when he/she makes them.

So someone disagreeing with you is spoiling a thread? Quality.

What do you want to prove with this behaviour?  

No that was you Eddie lol

I backed the manager 100% - and that goes for Tim Ward, Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Colin Murphy, Tommy Docherty, Colin Addison, John Newman, Peter Taylor, Roy McFarland (twice), Arthur Cox, Jim Smith, Colin Todd, John Gregory, George Burley, Phil Brown, Terry Westley, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell and Nigel Clough.

Now I back Steve McClaren 100%.

I have remained consistent in the way I support my club from the day I bought my first season ticket for £2 (4 weeks paper round money), and I will always support the manager / head coach while he is in that position.

If that's a 'blind faither', so be it - but I don't think that's what you meant.

How long before you turn against Steve McClaren and look forward to ushering in a new man? A season? A month? A defeat?

lol 

Archived