How different it feels.

Mostyn6

So I find myself sitting here all fidgety and restless. I cannot wait for the next Rams fixture and what it may bring. How bizarre does this feel to me? After a few years of sheer apathy and despondency towards my beloved Derby County, I’m now itching to be part of it all again.

I don’t expect or demand anything in terms of results or league position, and never did. But what I always expected as a minimum was an attempt to win the game, and the feeling that we were seeing the best out of the players.

My favourite time as a Derby fan was the early 90s, under Arthur Cox, when we had signed the likes of Tommy Johnson, Marco Gabbiadini, Paul Kitson and our newly appointed first team coach, Paul Simpson, amongst others. At that time, we were trying, and failing to get promoted, but in failing, we were very competitive and almost every game had an exciting atmosphere and entertainment about it.

The Nigel Clough era has passed by now, and it deserves credit for the foundations which remain Sadly, whilst there were a few excellent performances during that era, they were too few and far between that it was hard to sustain any level of excitement for me. On Saturday afternoon however, even though I’d only got off an airplane and into bed at 5:30am, the excitement level I experienced at Pride Park was similar to that I used to experience back in 1992.

On Saturday 28th September, we played our local rivals, and got beat. I was upset, but not downhearted. I don’t think Notts Forest beat us badly, in fact I believe we as good as beat ourselves with a poor performance. I went to the airport a few hours later, and as I got into the Runway bar, my phone started going berserk with messages of “you got what you wanted”, “Clough sacked” and “who now?”. Fact was, I was quite sad, and even a bit guilty that Nigel had been sacked. I truly wanted him to be a bit more magical than he was. Again, nothing to do with league position or promotion, but the level of excitement and atmosphere was lacking.

I managed to log in to the forums and see that Pulis was favourite, and at that time, I’d have taken Pulis over McLaren. This was of course before the Simmo and Steele connection was made. By Monday it made so much sense to me to appoint McClaren, Simpson and Steele. I genuinely cannot see a single negative from it. Every manager has a previous (or potential) failure in him, and McClaren is no different to any other. But he’s highly regarded and there are very few coaches that are more qualified or decorated.

I’m itching to see what happens next. I’m desperate to see how differently things will be done. I’m excited at seeing players playing with freedom and confidence and little fear. I’m inspired by the prospect of seeing a gameplan and positive reactions to the opposition during the game. I’m not deluded enough to expect us to recreate the scenarios of 1996-1999, but I do know it’s more likely to happen under the current regime than the previous.

I know a few people feel similar to myself, and I know a couple of people who went and bought season tickets yesterday. I myself am considering it, and it’s only my finances preventing me from doing it right now!

I don’t mean this in an antagonising way, but it feels so much different being on the positive side of the fence. I’ve spent four years being slated for my opinions of the previous set-up and I’m so happy that’s now in the past!

Up the Rams.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think the major differences were between Saturday and previous games.

To me it was much the same team, playing much the same style of football. Leeds were poor and we tried to gift them several goals with the usual ropey defending. In the end we were lucky they only took one chance.

What do you think the major differences were between Saturday and previous games.

To me it was much the same team, playing much the same style of football. Leeds were poor and we tried to gift them several goals with the usual ropey defending. In the end we were lucky they only took one chance.

god you're so negative!

We played much differently. We played predominantly through the middle of the park and on the front foot, as opposed to overlapping down the wings and floating crosses in. Hughes was much more advanced then normal whereas Forsyth and Smith were held back. Russell actually played facing the goal, and Martin was given a more free role to drop deep when he wanted, or advance further forward when he wanted. I also thought Martin played with a lot more flair. It was pointed out to me that there was no way he'd have done those back-heels if Clough was manager.

With all due respect every time we win someone claims the opposition were poor. Couldn't it just be we were quite good and as such made them "poor". For what it's worth I don't think Leeds were particularly bad I thought they had decent spells and played some decent football with some decent chances.

Very interesting that Leeds thought we were very good.

didn't see much ropes defending, thought we played with much quicker tempo when attacking, looking forwards not side ways. Thought it was best all round performance at home all season. Which wasn't hard, will agree that Leeds weren't very good.

With all due respect every time we win someone claims the opposition were poor. Couldn't it just be we were quite good and as such made them "poor". For what it's worth I don't think Leeds were particularly bad I thought they had decent spells and played some decent football with some decent chances.

Very interesting that Leeds thought we were very good.

I couldn't agree more. Is it possible that a lot of other teams in the championship will get worse now we have Maclaren in charge?

The main difference between Saturday and previous games under Clough, was the tempo we played with. Yes there is nothing better than watching a team play nice football but under Nigel we played lovely football when teams were set up but the second we got to the final third, it was far too slow and we struggled to break teams down.

The balance between keeping the ball when Leeds had set up and playing forward with a purpose and tempo was much better. Nigel built a very promising young attacking team in his time and now it’s up to McClaren to keep that, but build on the weak points that Nigel couldn’t do (i.e. back four). This will take time but personally feel some positive times ahead for Derby!

Leeds had that 15/20 min spell before half time on top - if that had been under Clough he'd of been castigated by some for sitting back and being defensive!

I think the feelgood factor amongst the fans after Tuesdays comeback led to the players having the confidence to express themselves. I've always felt we as fans have slowed progress with our negativity over the last few years. Just hope the moaners don't creep back in when we are up against it over the next few months.

Get behind the players, they're not a bad bunch and with positive support at home it really can make the difference. 

The home game saturday was just like the home games last season for me - quick attacking football, relentless waves of quality attacking moves.

That's what I was expecting this season - after last seasons home form, to come and watch how we played against Blackburn left me feeling numb, how we played against Leicester feeling nauseous, how we played against Burnley suicidal!

The second half against Ipswich, and the Leeds game have took me back to last season - which, is all I wanted at home. Let's hope we can keep the away form at a high level and we will be there or thereabouts for me. 

god you're so negative!

We played much differently. We played predominantly through the middle of the park and on the front foot, as opposed to overlapping down the wings and floating crosses in. Hughes was much more advanced then normal whereas Forsyth and Smith were held back. Russell actually played facing the goal, and Martin was given a more free role to drop deep when he wanted, or advance further forward when he wanted. I also thought Martin played with a lot more flair. It was pointed out to me that there was no way he'd have done those back-heels if Clough was manager.

OK I admit I was playing devil's advocate a little bit

I think your rose-tinted glasses are verging on the day-glo pink, but there is some merit to what you're saying.

What I would suggest however is that people go back on the DCFC youtube channel and watch the highlights of the Milwall and Yeovil games (particularly the 36 pass Argentina goal) and try to be a bit more realistic in their assessment of how amazing we were against Leeds.

EDIT: Or as Ambitious says any of the home wins last season..

The difference was in the tempo of our play and the fact that in the second half we were on the front foot and controlling the game, leading to the third goal, whereas under Nigel we would have come out and tried to defend the 2-1. It seems clear to me that the quality of the coaching staff will be the difference this season - We now appear to have a plan B when we need one and a coach who will make substitutions at the right times. I feel much more enthusiastic about our future already and like many others feel ready to to start returning to games, something I could not bring myself to do under Clough. I am under no illusions that we have a team of world beaters but knowing that we have quality coaches and a much more modern and dynamic setup taking place fills me with optimism for the future.

What do you think the major differences were between Saturday and previous games. To me it was much the same team, playing much the same style of football. Leeds were poor and we tried to gift them several goals with the usual ropey defending. In the end we were lucky they only took one chance.

The crowd for one, they're positive again, which will transfer itself to the players.

The whole club suddenly seems transformed, who knows how long it will last, but it's great to see after so much negativity.

Looking up at the teams above us again and thinking, we win today and we could go above xxxxxx and yyyyyyy, not done that for a couple of years, it means games like Ipswich on a Tuesday night actually mean something again.

Playing a positive game, pressing higher up the pitch led to a couple of mistakes by Leeds players, great to see.

Positive substitutions at the right time, who'd a thought it eh?

Looking back at the Leeds game last year (I know same result), but achieved differently. Anyone remember the last 15 minutes when we had a free kick next to their penalty area and everybody but 2 players went forward and took it straight to the corner? Players were playing with fear, I hope I never see Derby playing like that again.

It'll take a while for them to sort out the back 4, but I'm much more confidence of us getting their now.

So basically we have two choices as to how to look at the first week under McClaren then...

a) The king is dead - long live the king

b) Meet the new boss - same as the old boss

Which camp you choose to belong to at this stage was probably pre-determined by how you felt when you heard the news a week ago.

anyone at this stage who is not behind McClaren and new coaches is FAR FAR worse than anyone who was not behind Clough after 4 years!

I was never anti-Clough, I was pro-Derby. Clough had as much time as it took me to lose faith, but to start with, I was very optimistic that Pearson had pulled off a masterstroke!

Anyone who was behind Clough but isn't behind McClaren is not a true Derby fan to me, and it backs my theory that they were behind the romance of the name Clough over the belief in his ability.

anyone at this stage who is not behind McClaren and new coaches is FAR FAR worse than anyone who was not behind Clough after 4 years!

I was never anti-Clough, I was pro-Derby. Clough had as much time as it took me to lose faith, but to start with, I was very optimistic that Pearson had pulled off a masterstroke!

Anyone who was behind Clough but isn't behind McClaren is not a true Derby fan to me, and it backs my theory that they were behind the romance of the name Clough over the belief in his ability.

Sorry Mostyn, but I really do think there's a danger that you may have gone off the deep end without checking whether there's any water in the pool. It's not your place to judge whether someone is, or is not, a true Derby fan.

Neither the manager nor the board is the club.

Liar, Liar, Pants on fire

You have said that you were anti-Clough from 15 games into his stay at Derby 

Not that you have any right to say who is and isn't a Derby fan based on their opinions, but could you please name all the people on here who aren't backing McLaren and don't want Derby to do well. 

Archived