Sam Rush's side of the story

HeyHudson

Great post.

I dont doubt for a second that Sam Rush chats ****, but nobody knows what went on behind the scenes. Clough could have been a right c*nt as well for all we know, he's stubborn enough to be awkward to work with.

I like Clough as a person generally from what I know, but like most people, that's very little. He's got annoying traits. He's not this god like figure some people on here perceive him to be.

Fair point, but MC is already being hailed as the next Messiah and he hasn't even stood on the touchline yet.

I'll reserve judgement there forra bit.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an addendum I think the first player McClaren will dispense of is Barker by terminating his contract

Woah!

I don't think anyone thought of that. Clough certainly felt some loyalty to him, but do we really think that is why he's still here?

I vaguely recall a rumour a while back about some argument over cashing in his insurance policy and writing off his career.

Sad as it seems, you may be right. Rush didn't seem very convinced that he would be back when I spoke to him about it.

In the hours after Clough was sacked, Barker's wife was all over Twitter and seemed (understandably) concerned about things. It would seem that Clough (rather than the club) was very instrumental in Barker being kept on board.

Not sure if McClaren would bin him off straight away but he might take another look at his prognosis and targets.

As an aside, did I imagine it, or did someone say Barker was aiming for a Christmas return? If that's the case, I would expect to be hearing news about him around this time (upping his training, aiming for reserve appearance soon etc). Still seems very quiet though. I'd be surprised if he didn't retire before the end of the season. Shame.

Isn't it funny how Sam Rush couldn't wait to get out and about during the fan forums at the close of last season (renewal time) and yet now he's very reluctant to speak to the media? Why doesn't he come on the radio and do a Q&A?

How many times did he quote "absolutely, Nigel is our man"?

On another hand; Nigel is no longer contracted to the club, why doesn't he come out and say this is all bull (funds available..)? Tell his side of the story instead of running to the hills?

RE Barker, he won't leave the club anytime soon. 1) he's got a squad number this season unlike last 2) he's a role model in the dressing room 3) he's the captain and most experienced player bar Eustace 4) he's arguably our best defender 5) His knee is improving each week...

"A strikeforce that can't score for toffee"...you do realise we're third top scorers in the league right?

I thought that was absolutely mental suggestion.

Martin 6 in 12

Russell 4 in 10

Sammon 2 in 3

Jacobs 1 in 1

Bennett 1 in 1

(appearances based on when give 45 minutes or longer in a game)

Strikeforce that don't score, we've scored 14 goals in 13 games from strikers alone!!

In the hours after Clough was sacked, Barker's wife was all over Twitter and seemed (understandably) concerned about things. It would seem that Clough (rather than the club) was very instrumental in Barker being kept on board.

Not sure if McClaren would bin him off straight away but he might take another look at his prognosis and targets.

As an aside, did I imagine it, or did someone say Barker was aiming for a Christmas return? If that's the case, I would expect to be hearing news about him around this time (upping his training, aiming for reserve appearance soon etc). Still seems very quiet though. I'd be surprised if he didn't retire before the end of the season. Shame.

He's still unable to walk up stairs without a lot of difficulty, apparently. I highly doubt he'll be back by Christmas.  In fact, I'll be amazed if he ever plays again for us (or maybe even for any club). Shame.

He's still unable to walk up stairs without a lot of difficulty, apparently. I highly doubt he'll be back by Christmas.  In fact, I'll be amazed if he ever plays again for us (or maybe even for any club). Shame.

I know, I get that feeling too. As I've said before I did the exact same thing to my knee 5 years ago (popped the kneecap, ripped ligaments) and it still isn't right to this day. I know Shaun will have had access to better physios than me, but he'll also be looking to put his knee under a lot more stress than me.

At best it'll be a couple of sub appearances and then retirement. Very sad.

Isn't it funny how Sam Rush couldn't wait to get out and about during the fan forums at the close of last season (renewal time) and yet now he's very reluctant to speak to the media? Why doesn't he come on the radio and do a Q&A?

On another hand; Nigel is no longer contracted to the club, why doesn't he come out and say this is all bull (funds available..)? Tell his side of the story instead of running to the hills?

RE Barker, he won't leave the club anytime soon. 1) he's got a squad number this season unlike last 2) he's a role model in the dressing room 3) he's the captain and most experienced player bar Eustace 4) he's arguably our best defender 5) His knee is improving each week...

So instead he has privately thanked the players, publicly thanks the fans for their support and wished everyone and the club the best for the future. What a w@nker.

Maybe he was brought with the kind of values that many people had before the celebrity driven, controversy led life we lead now, fuelled by such dross as X Factor, Big Brother and The Sun. Maybe he brought up to put others before himself and not court publicity for his own gratification. 

Couldn't agree more, I mean its been 5 days since he sacked Clough and I imagine he had very little to do since then. I mean what is he thinking of interviewing the new management team before going on the radio? Where have you seen that he is reluctant to speak to the media?

I kind of understand why Derby kept Barker and extended his contract but at the end of the day I would imagine he is another £500k strain on the budget and I think its quite obvious to most that he will never play again at this level. For £500k a year I would gladly go and be a role model in the dressing room...what do I have to do and where do I sign?

Massive shame about Barker - I don't think he was anything outstanding, in terms of Stimac...etc but I remember a performance (can't remember who against, just that it was a night match) and I walked away thinking that was the best central defensive performance I have seen (for us) in my time of watching Derby - obviously I saw Stimac and co but I would have been very young so other than reputation and little bits of memory about getting excited to watch them play, I remember very little... so you could say possibly was the best central defensive display in a decade? anyway, that's not the point  :lol:

But, was just saying - on his day, absolutely fantastic defender. One of the best in the league undoubtedly and one of the best players I have seen play for us (that I can properly remember) suppose that says more about us as a club, than Barker but won't go into that! 

He's saving his story for next weekends Sunday Sun, there will be a TV advert in the week with him looking sad

'Read all the shocking truths about my time at Derby'.

He is probably subject to a non-disclosure clause built in around the payments he will continue to receive. 

Maybe Rush was frustrated, much like a few of us was? let's not forget the fans hammered him for this decision, so he has had to reply somehow to get his point across.

It's bit of a non-story - you simply do not sack someone you're 100% happy with, so obviously he will have ill-opinions.

He is probably subject to a non-disclosure clause built in around the payments he will continue to receive. 

If that is the case, I would have thought it would have been a two way agreement?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/story-19875512-detail/story.html
Chief executive Sam Rush outlines Derby County's vision of the future

By Steve Nicholson

COACHING, recruitment and relationships with other football clubs are three key areas for Derby County moving forward, says chief executive Sam Rush.

Head coach Steve McClaren was appointed at the beginning of the week and Rush is excited to see how the former England manager along with his backroom staff of first-team coach Paul Simpson and goalkeeper coach Eric Steele move the team on.

This has been a week of change and a new direction for the club.

Derby are looking to see how they can steal a march on other clubs in the Championship knowing they do not have the cushion of parachute payments.

“What can we do that plenty of other clubs have done, clubs who do not have our stadium, facilities, training ground, fan base, commercial direction and stable board?” said Rush.

“Coaching, recruitment, football relationships – those are the three areas we will be focusing on.

“Clearly, coaching is a strength of the unit we have put together. The next unit we are going to work on is the recruiting and the scouting.

“With our new set-up we are going to have an opportunity to have a young team expertly coached, to have a global set of football network and relationships and an opportunity to put a really powerful recruitment team together.”

Rush sat down and spoke to the written press for more than half an hour during the media conference to announce McClaren’s arrival. He fielded questions on investment, budgets, coaching, scouting and even “Why was Nigel Clough sacked?”.

He said money is available – and was available for Clough to spend.

“I am sure if you check the records you will see that Nigel said there has been money available and he has chosen not to spend it. The money will remain available and we will move forward,” Rush added.

Derby’s budget and where it stands among Championship clubs has been a matter of debate and conjecture for some time. Their budget does not place them in the top six and there has been talk of it being bottom six.

“Our budget is slam bang in the middle of the division,” said Rush.

“Clearly, clubs are spending more than Derby County but it is a good guide to look at teams in our division. Look at Burnley, for example. They cashed in on Charlie Austin for £4m this season and sold Jay Rodriguez for £7m last season. How much money have they spent on players and look where they are?

“If you have got more money, have you got more chance of being successful? Of course you have. Have we got enough money to be successful? Of course we have.

“Fortunately, in my position and the job I had for many years, I probably had information of club’s budgets. I am very confident that Derby County has a competitive budget.

“We have a stable and ambitious ownership group. Does the board have the means? With our board, it is one you can Google very easily and look at and see their wealth. It is very financially stable club.

“Having said that, we have to run ourselves sensibly.

“We are club without parachute monies and we are coming to an era where clever recruitment and wider scouting networks will bring your success because clubs are not going to be able to put £10, £15m or £20m on the table and achieve success.

“However much investment you make you are going to struggle to compete with the Sky TV money coming in and parachute money. Queens Park Rangers had a £25m head start on us this season.

“So you have to look at other ways in which you’re going to be able to find your competitive advantage and one of the key ways is in recruitment of talent, maybe talent we have never even heard of.

“I am looking forward to talent coming in I have never heard of, I have never seen before, and then, hopefully, think ‘wow’ because he has been scouted with the network and the contacts we have now got at the club. I am looking forward to that.”

Does that mean Rush and the club’s owners were unhappy with aspects of the coaching and scouting network under Clough?

“Different management teams have different styles and if you look back to where we were five years ago, it was a uniquely poor position,” said Rush.

“The job that is required to stabilise and the type of players required to stabilise in that situation is often very different to the make up of a squad with which you are looking to burst forward to promotion.

“If you look at squads that have gone up, they have tended to have probably a reasonable degree of variety. You tend to have your home-grown talent, your young players, your experienced pros and maybe one or two guys perhaps from overseas. It is a balance.”

Questions turned to Clough, no doubt something Rush expected, although he said he did not know the answer to the hypothetical question: What would have happened had Derby won at Nottingham Forest on Saturday? Clough was sacked after the defeat at the City Ground.

“In terms of people leaving clubs, it is never easy,” said Rush.

“I don’t think anyone associated with Derby and the board took the decision lightly and we are on record saying Nigel worked extremely hard in difficult circumstances and has made a great contribution.

Christmas was what he said to us when we spoke to him but like you say, nothing yet.

Archived