The cost of everything (and the value of nothing)

Stive Pesley

A thought to ponder in the cold light of morning after yesterday's "excitement".

Some facts to start of with:

Since the start of the season we have "restructured" and brought in

1. A new Finance Director from Chelsea (replacing Branningan who was sacked back in February)
  2. A new Director of Media (a new role)
  3. A new Head Coach, First Team Coach and Goalkeeping Coach – plus supposedly an imminent Director Of Football
  4. Parted company with a manager who had 1.5 years left on his contract and presumably we have paid off the remainder
  5. Ditto his coaching staff

Aligned to that we have shown mid-table form and struggled to make any headway on improving attendances.

How much can this "restructuring" have cost us? I dread to think what next year's accounts will look like.

Pretty galling when you consider that they've spent the past 4 years making Nigel cut costs and leaving him to shop in the lower leagues and Scotland for his squad.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks GreenRam. My point in the other thread but you've said it perfectly.

None of this will have come cheap.

I have no issue with Cloughies contract being paid up, that was a given really but the others it's fair to say will be a sizeable expense.

Scrimping and saving on wages seems a bit pointless now.

The board are a safe in the knowledge that sale of Hughes will re-coup the money...I suspect that McClaren has agreed to the fact that Hughes & possibly Hendrick/Ward will be off loaded to cover the costs & to provide a transfer kitty, so McClaren can tinker with the squad...

Sorry if this sounds cynical to the board, but didn't like em before they sacked Nigel, now I just can not stand the sh**s..

Hopefully this is the last roll of the dice before they fook off...just a shame that Nigel was made the scapegoat for their lack off funding...

The board are a safe in the knowledge that sale of Hughes will re-coup the money...I suspect that McClaren has agreed to the fact that Hughes & possibly Hendrick/Ward will be off loaded to cover the costs & to provide a transfer kitty, so McClaren can tinker with the squad...

Sorry if this sounds cynical to the board, but didn't like em before they sacked Nigel, now I just can not stand the sh**s..

Hopefully this is the last roll of the dice before they fook off...just a shame that Nigel was made the scapegoat for their lack off funding...

Could it be the return of Gadsby? 

Yeah, I'm also pretty convinced the Board have told McClaren exactly that.

McClaren has no issue selling players to raise cash - several days into his second stint at Twente he offloaded their star striker to rebuild the side.

Pretty sure that the money Nige has saved will have covered all the pay offs so at least we can be thankful of that.

Notwithstanding i was a shocked and disappointed as any other fan with the manner of NC's removal, my view is that the board is doing what seems like build a club for bigger and better times, they cut back to the bone what they saw as unfeasable,and having got there, started to restructure this year,and it now seems from what we've heard that NC was like his dad and didnt warm to what the board intended, hence his removal.

This is their business they can do what they like whether we like it or not. We can choose to vote with our feet as many have,but not all have voted like that solely because of the board, some didnt like NC either we dont need to go into the details its been well covered.

The Board chose to sack NC, its not McClarens fault they did that, and the board have asked him to take this club onto the 'next level' thats been stated. Now we as football fans know that managers have hit and miss careers, even Fergie, and some do well after a bad experience, some like the Purple ponce never do well, Its my understanding that the footballing world see McClaren as a top coach, not many in that world would argue, he's a top coach. So too is Steele, and we know about Simpson, but my understanding id McClaren is Head Coach, and will oversee all the clubs coaching from Academy on....

I believe that he will be able with Steele and Simpson, to atttract to this club some really exciting players, from a wider net than NC threw,also i believe that once the shock of NC removal ebbs, the lads we now have will be excited to work and learn from our new coaching team, who doesnt want to learn and grow in their job given the opportunity, and that is why i personally am excited for the future, there are no guarantees in this game or life for that matter that things will go as we hope or plan, but as Derby Fans we must be prepared to hope that this is the start to the next level.

Bring on the DoF, and lets give the regime a chance to show us what it can do for the club, i cant believe they are doing all this because they want to go backwards...

It will take the coaches a few games and maybe a few new signings b4 we see any improvement.

but if we dont beat weeds on Saturday, i want all there heads on spikes above the main entrance, as a warning to the next lot !

McClaren has no issue selling players to raise cash - several days into his second stint at Twente he offloaded their star striker to rebuild the side.

Pretty sure that the money Nige was denied will have covered all the pay offs so at least we can be thankful of that.

Fixed it for you Ramps  ;)

This just reminded me of another bit in Jim Smith's autobiography where he tells how Steve McClaren brought in an amazing masseuse to work on the players, and it was great until Rory Delap started shagging her! Then they had to let her go and brought a burly fella in instead

This just reminded me of another bit in Jim Smith's autobiography where he tells how Steve McClaren brought in an amazing masseuse to work on the players, and it was great until Rory Delap started shagging her! Then they had to let her go and brought a burly fella in instead

Would that burly fella have been Dane Farrell. Ran a marathon with him once. Great bloke.

I get the feeling that the club wanted to make changes in the coaching department/general set-up and operation and Clough resisted them, so they went ahead and replaced him.

I've heard a few people say they suspected that Clough's loyalties to staff members like Garner and Crosby et al cost him his job, and I can believe that.

He wouldn't have wanted to get rid of his mates, so the change had to be made.

Personally I think an overhaul of the coaching/recruitment side of things was necessary to push on from here.  This is all just my opinion, by the way - I'm not claiming to have any inside knowledge or anything.

Our physio has gone now too so thats a considerable saving on our canteen bill...

Look forward to Gordon running out onto the pitch tonight if someone gets injured then.

Archived