Steve McClaren

Day

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually very happy with the appointment.I think you learn more from your mistakes and forest would have been a lession for him in terms of what is required in the championship i feel i thought that the downfall was the coaching and garner,crosby etc were not fully qualified and relied upon commitment than talent most of them were doing qualifications throughout and nigel only this summer did his B licence.I think a good coach for the defence and a foreign director of football could see us in a much better position even without getting in the top 6.I could see Max lowe taking over Forsyth and James bailey coming back into the fold after his injury.

Well all those who were screaming for Clough to go straight after the loss at Forest have got there wish now.

What do you guys think?

As you know mate I've been pro Clough for quite a few years. The way the results have panned out this season (yes we've played neat football) thinking about the bigger picture, which is that Clough has done everything he possibly could. We've sat with this stable (some say boring) outlook on our club. Is it unrealistic to want us to take that next step why should we wait another five years for a possible maybe?

The timing I disagree with but the deicision I don't, he's done a great job but it's all change at the end of the line as they say.

There is an obvious risk with this but with every side around us doing so I think it's the only solution.

Derby's supprt = people who were more excited by the appointment of a man who'd spent 10 years in the conference than are excited by the appointment of a man who's managed England, took Middlesbrough to a European final and won a league title in Europe.

Because of a surname.

I really think the Derby support need to get over the Clough family name and view things on its own merits. Nigel WASN'T Brian. The 2010s AREN'T the 1960s. Regardless of McClaren's failures, he has achieved significantly more in football management than Clough has and has far more experience at a far higher level. 5 years ago we appointed a non-league team manager. Today we appointed a former international coach. Yes, it might not work out. Yes, it might come with a certain amount of baggage. However, this week is the first sign of genuine ambition the club has shown since god knows when. Maybe since the Pickering days.

If we had 4 1/2 years of Nigel Clough, McClaren deserves at least the extent of his 2 1/2 year contract.

This is McClaren's last chance at a decent level, I can't see him getting another job at a decent level if he messes this up.  And judging by his most reason efforts at management, mess it up he probably will.  I can see us having to look for a new manager before the end of the season.  Not happy.

Utter shambles. You are all lapping up the clubs PR campaign. This will end with the club going backwards. Financially we will be worse off. The DOF head coach thing is a disaster waiting to happen. All you smug ant Clough moaners will soon be cringing at the thought of who is now running matters. Clough did the club proud on little resources. All this appointment will do is make us a laughing stock. The media are waiting to jump on him. Rush should of been sacked not Clough !

Actually very happy with the appointment.I think you learn more from your mistakes and forest would have been a lession for him in terms of what is required in the championship i feel i thought that the downfall was the coaching and garner,crosby etc were not fully qualified and relied upon commitment than talent most of them were doing qualifications throughout and nigel only this summer did his B licence.I think a good coach for the defence and a foreign director of football could see us in a much better position even without getting in the top 6.I could see Max lowe taking over Forsyth and James bailey coming back into the fold after his injury.

towseeeerrrrr :D

Derby's supprt = people who were more excited by the appointment of a man who'd spent 10 years in the conference than are excited by the appointment of a man who's managed England, took Middlesbrough to a European final and won a league title in Europe.

Because of a surname.

I think you might be embellishing McClaren's managerial record somewhat.  Yes he did manage England, but what might be  more relevant is that he was quite rubbish at it. He did take a very well financed Middlesbrough to the UEFA Cup final, and got absolutely stuffed 4-0 by Sevilla. His one real success was his first spell at Twente, winning the Dutch League with them was an undoubted achievement, however his second spell at the club was a disaster, ending with the Twente fans begging him to leave. The less said about his spells with Wolfsburg and Forest the better.  And the common thread throughout all his years of management seems to be...dull, uninspiring football.  Who cares if he managed England....he was merely was one of the few English managers around in the Premiership at the time.

We didn't appoint him as coach...we appointed him as manager.  He did seem to be a good coach, but that's hardly the point, you may as well appoint someone on the basis of them being a good player in the past (which many clubs actually seem to...bizarrely).  Look to his record as a manager, that's all we should be concerned with.  It doesn't promise much.

Who is good at managing England? Seriously? Inpossible job. Minus Forest and his second spell at Twente, his career has been decent, not just as a manager, but a coach at us and with Fergie. Top appointment as a coach in my eyes

Many have found the national job difficult but Steve Mclaren is the only man who can officially say he was "the worst England manager in history".

I am even laughing at this appointment because it is so ridiculous. We are the laughing stock once more.

The Boro fans were glad to get rid, the Twente fans were glad to get rid, the Wolfsburg fans were glad to get rid, the Forest fans were glad to get rid and the entire English nation were glad to get rid.

Now that is a pattern.

How can we judge him on past achievements? 

As a very strong-pro Clough guy, whenever the argument came up about NLN. I argued the toss, about it doesn't matter what you've come from, or done in the past - it's how you conduct yourself and do here. 

If you asked me a couple of days ago, I would have said he is a wrong appointment for us! well based on how we have been run before. Yet, on the same day of him signing a contract. He turns up with a WORLD CLASS coach, now, I don't think I am over-exaggerating when I say Steele is world class, and he has managed to get him to come here - nothing short of remarkable IMO, shows he has people in high places, unfortunately something Nigel didn't. On the same day, we've had a player like Joey Barton come out and give a glowing report, again. I don't take this very lightly, Joey Barton is an explosive personality who has blasted previous management through-out his career, coaches...etc and it has to be said, him playing at this level must be doing his head in! Yet, still gives Steve McClaren a glowing review.

So we've heard good things, extremely good things on the day. That being said, there is reasons to worry - not so much for the day to day grind, because it sounds like we've got a good'un! But, he had a decent amount of control at Forest and it didn't sit right with him, I mean he signed 5 players (and tried to sign Wesley Verhoek, who now plays for feynoord) and only 1 of them can be considered anything close to a remote success, and even then he leaves other players hungry at dinner (guess who). 

It sounds like he is our head coach, and that is what he is best at - this is what he became world-wide renowned for and largely why he got the England job in the first place. I hope we can get a DOF in sooner, rather than later - but if the mirror is correct then, Nigel Clough inadvertently has given McClaren his first set of loan targets. :lol: 

Let's just wait and see where we are at Christmas - I think a top 10 finish should be minimum requirement, and no-reason why we shouldn't get that! I expect his coaching record and reputation in the game, opens the doors to the clubs TOP young prospects coming here too - I think people will trust him a bit more than Clough in the outside world.  

Paul Simpson was sacked from the last 3 Football League clubs he managed. Not the record of a 'good manager in his own right'.  Similar record to McClaren really, although i know, technically, he walked from Forest after a comical spell in charge. 

Archived