As a Derby fan - I'm in shame by Clough's sacking...

twinthe_12

I think unless Clough had got us relegated or done something majorly awful, there would always be sadness or disappointment when he left. Realistically, he gave it his best shot and he should feel no shame whatsoever for the effort he has put in. I like to think that Derby as a club has a far more community/family feel about it than most others and Clough was a part of that. I needed Clough to get it right, call it nostalgia, overly sentimental. Whatever, it is lacking in football today.

I am disappointed that it has ended this way. But we should not be silly about this, I think we all knew this was coming, something had to give, just surprised it was so soon. No one can deny the great platform Clough has built, where fans disagreed was if he could take us on whether that had been with further backing or without. I think the reaction shows how important his heritage actually was.

There is always the danger that a new manager could undo all of the hard work Clough has done. That would be the case no matter what (unless Clough stayed until they did wheel him out in a box). For me it can now either go onwards and upwards or we decline. That is classic Derby.

Like players, some managers thrive at certain clubs and fail at others. I wonder how many Southampton fans ditched the club when Adkins got sacked. Again we don't do the thinking positively thing, but it could just as easily be a great decision as a terrible one(we like to think in extremes).

Um, yeah, so that's actually quite spooky.

I think I prefer your version.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very ashamed too. I hope Nigel can explain what he was made to work under.

I suggest the failure to attract any bids for Will Hughes frustrated the lovely investors we have.

How stupid must Sam Rush have felt......point missed by many. Big man Sam......big I Am. ......

He said.......to the owners et al

No one being sold on the cheap......

Oh ok, said the big clubs, we will make you no offers, zero, nada, null. How did Sam's negotiating position look then.....

Weak as ****

And the big boys will be back to look in Jan.....if big man Sam opens his mouth, they not bid.....so they will get will on thei terms I not a all. Thing is the investors do want to sell...their ahem latest business model dictates it!!

Premier league clubs know we are going to need to sell Will..........

Sam the man.....who got no cash in for Will........let the USA team down, and looked silly in the process

Sam undermined Nigel from the get go.......asking fans for views on Nigel. No other CEO does that at clubs upon arrival.....

Top 6 with a net spend of a negative, and a "we r surprised no-one bid for Will" look in his eye.....

Thing is that is not what Rush promised on his Derbyshire tour........heyho, never believed him, Nigel certainly never.

I'm in totally and absolutely shocked by Clough's sacking.

Our performances has been promising - luck hasn't been on our site too and at home it has shown we have missed a proven quality striker - the ones we got are fine but needs time to adapt.

We have a very young team that needs time time before they can deliver the goods.

Niigel has done a great job by bringing through young players like Hendrick and Hughes, and bought some we'd never heard of who became key players like Brayford and Bryson. When you consider the budget he was on it was a miracle that he got us top 10 last year. The boards call is surely as bad as it could be and I'm gutted to hear they have sacked Nigel. 

Board Of Directors should have looked at themselves 1st. Should have judged own results, roles and merit at the club before looking at Nigel's record. He came in and worked hard and in detail to put the club in a good forward moving position with almost no funds, Success can only come when the foundation is strong, and he built the foundation on his own, BOD have not done same likewise. Good Luck Nigel, u will bounce back. Derby County Board Of Directors, your judgment day time is coming now via FAN POWER.

I'm for sure considering my future as a fan of The Rams.

Are you having a laugh, the board must have been waiting for this chance for a long time to get rid of the idiot, the decision to sack him cant have been made by the board straight after the game they had it planed and been waiting for this opportunity,   i was gutted with the result yesterday but this makes my weekend a lot better knowing at last hes gone. 

Can't say I disagree with that Notts but what makes you think the board would give Pulis funds for a slight overhaul, when they couldn't give Nigel the players that he wanted? Would you think it wrong if they did?

I think we are looking at some kind of change funding wise as they will have to pay NC and his boys off. They will also have too pay a lot more to get an "established" manger and his team than we paid NC. 

Changing manager will cost them a significant chunk of money and whoever comes in will do so on the proviso that there will be some kind of budget for them.

Some of the comments on here are in really bad taste and love him or loathe him,to be happy for nigel to be sacked after forest is really really sad decision by the club and you idiots dancing for joy want to have a good hard look at yourselves.Have a little RESPECT and grow up !!.

And yes im a clough fan but by no means am I saying he has a job forever at derby and yes I was losing faith.If you were going to let him go after the next game would have been better SURELY we ALL AGREE on that ?????.

And people questioned my loyalty to the club? WOW.

You'll actually stop supporting us solely because he's left? You crazy?!

A 33% win record in almost five years

Failing to advance anywhere in the cup

Failing to bring together a consistent run of wins together

Falling out with players

Falling attendances

Losing two local derby games within less than a week

Seemingly happy to take a draw before yesterday's game

No knowledge of the foreign market

A very average set of back room staff, Darren Wassall being an exception.

Playing players out of position

Failing to see a new defender is a must must

Continuing to pick Keogh

The list is endless. I don't particularly like GSE but they finally made the right choice with the sacking. If Nigel wasn't happy with the funds available , why didn't he walk and save some dignity instead of get the boot?

Was this a deliberate slur on Clough?

If he were to be sacked,could it not have waited until after Tuesdays game?

Maybe there was an ongoing feud behind the scenes,and he was sacked after the loss to our fiercest rivals,to push home,his sacking.

Like clough or not,this was an absolute insult after the forest game,and will no doubt,give the reds fans,and krankie,the most joy at what's happened.

If we waited until the end of the season, with the very likely outcome of mid table mediocrity and we then fired him, everyone would say why wasn't it done now!

Please don't include me in that "everybody".

I already fell insulted by the powers that be thinking we would be yelling for a change of manager after a narrow defeat in an eventful local derby.

Like Kenny Dalglish once said 'Football is irrelevant now!'

I hope Nigel is the man I believe him to be and retains his love for Derby as a city.

Now see if he gets his qualifications, takes Forest to the Premiership and, with the right backing, wins some silverware!

You show 'em Nige!

Glad he's gone. Mid table obscurity is the best we'd ever get under him. Always slagging players off in public. Terrible tactics and motivation.

Absolutely agree but just think the manner of his dismissal is appalling. If it transpires that someone had already been approached prior to his sacking it shows a total lack of respect. For all his faults as a manager he is an honest kind of bloke and if the board think they will get the missing Rams like myself on board by appointing 'Route One' tossers like Pulis they have another think coming.

Absolutely agree but just think the manner of his dismissal is appalling. If it transpires that someone had already been approached prior to his sacking it shows a total lack of respect. For all his faults as a manager he is an honest kind of bloke and if the board think they will get the missing Rams like myself on board by appointing 'Route One' tossers like Pulis they have another think coming.

They say "what goes around comes around" and thats exactly what has happened to Clough, hes treated some players like sh1te recently and over the years and hes got what he deserves and maybe the board have also seen that, enjoy your own medicine Nigel

Absolutely agree but just think the manner of his dismissal is appalling. If it transpires that someone had already been approached prior to his sacking it shows a total lack of respect.

Behave, its called a notice period in the real world. You dismiss someone during their notice period and when theyre working it you offer the job to the person youve already tapped up so they can hand their notice in to fit in with the current guys leaving date.

Archived