RM targeted

WilkoRam

Wilko, sorry mate but you turn threads weird. You ignore what is written and come back with a series of assumptions. On top of that you rake up arguments that aren't there...................

Not that weird. Straw man arguments are the life blood of this forum…

….and panic fuelled hysteria

...and B4.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DERBY County are looking to make one or two loan signings and Aston Villa’s right-sided midfielder Marc Albrighton is believed to be on a list of targets.

The window for emergency loans opened on Tuesday and the Rams have started to make enquiries as they face a period of seven games in 22 days.

Albrighton has made 80 appearances for Villa including 29 last season but the 23-year-old has not been involved in the first-team this season.

Chris Burke, another name on the list of targets, is unlikely to be allowed out on loan by Birmingham City but he could be available when the transfer window opens in January.

Derby checked on Burke’s availability in the summer before Birmingham took up their one-year option on the 29-year-old Scottish international. He is in the final year of his contract at St Andrew’s.

Derby are in the market to boost the squad although manager Nigel Clough has again stressed he will not bring in loan signings just for the sake of it.

“We are going to try to strengthen and we are making enquiries,” said Clough. “It will depend on availability, finding the right ones who fit in and finding out if they want to come and play games.

“Very rarely in the loan market do you go for your number one target and the other club say ‘yes’ and it all slots into place. That rarely happens and so you have to be patient and work your way through your list.

“What you want is somebody to actually challenge for a starting place in the team.

“There is no point bringing somebody in just to sit on the bench. We have got seven great lads sitting on the bench whichever way we go within the 18, and standard-wise the 18 is of a very good standard.

“So to get somebody in who is better than them is difficult.”

Clough knows Derby are short of cover at centre-back.

The first-choice pairing is Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton, and 20-year-old Valentin Gjokaj is the next fit recognised central defender.

Mark O’Brien and Shaun Barker are currently recovering from knee surgery although O’Brien is edging closer to a return.

Clough says there are not too many central defenders available on loan.

“If we can bring one in, we will, but it would be harsh on the centre halves who have generally defended well to bring somebody in and leave one of them out,” Clough added.

“If you put Barker and O’Brien in our squad it strengthens it immeasurably.

“That is largely irrelevant at the moment because they are not in the squad but if they do get fit in the next three months, they strengthen us incredibly.”

The maximum period for an emergency loan is 93 days.

A loan signing made now would run to the middle of December. One made towards the end of the month would see a loan player stay until the transfer window opens in January.

“That is a slight dilemma,” said Clough. “We will see how we go in the next few games but we definitelywould like to bring one or two in, if we can.”

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/story-19781773-detail/story.html

Are we saying Chris Martin is some kind of superstar? I admit he has done better than I thought but he still looks fat and slow to me and I still think he is easy to mark. He saves the need to run by either pushing the centre half or else falling over. When in possession he's okay but it's up to the team to put in to his feet.

Let's hope if we do get a RM player he's the type who can give better service than given to Russell and Martin at present.

Sorry had to reply to this I think Martin is class.

As for falling over actually I think he has won many a free kick in decent areas of the pitch and probably deserves 2 or 3 shouts for a penalty. Yes it is diving I'm not going to sit here and say he doesn't dive but that's modern football you have to to do that to win now however awful it is. His falling over became crucial when holding onto the lead at Brighton winning free kicks to break up the play.

His lack of running I think is just great timing of runs and positioning meaning he doesn't need to charge around up front for 90 minutes like Sammon did (that's not a criticism because the fish doing that was very very valuable to the team) it's just a different approach to being a striker, ie Glenn Murray do nothing but be very clever or Mackail Smith run around put massive effort in and be a nuisance for the CB's.

For posession, he has the best touch in the team besides will. He keeps the ball exceptionally well and yes the midfield need to pass to his feet but surely our midfield out of any in the champ should be good enough to do that? Great assist at Yeovil for the 27 passing goal. He drops off if anything to create good possession for the team.

Yes it is diving I'm not going to sit here and say he doesn't dive but that's modern football you have to to do that to win now however awful it is.

I'm sorry but if that is true then football is worse than I ever thought. Diving/cheating is something I consider to be done by players who are either incapable of winning without cheating or are just cheats by nature. I don't think team need to dive to win these days it's just something that has crept into the game and is now being accepted. It is possible to win without diving, there's nothing in the modern game that has meant diving is necessary.

The diving thing has always been there. Frannie Lee was a tad theatrical at times back in the 70's!

I think what happens now is that players go down as soon as they feel contact, its really difficult for the ref to decide if its a foul or not. If its timed right it looks like the contact has caused the player to fall.

From what i've seen so far I'm not sure that Martin is doing it as much as people make out. We'll see as the season develops.

I don't think it's blatant diving, he just goes down easy with minimal contact, every team in the world take advantage of modern day footballs flaws.

I hope he keeps it up because he's been vital for us uptop, if he doesn't keep possession he at least wins a freekick!

As long as people are ok with diving

Rules of the game stipulate that sliding AND attempting to slide tackle (dangerously) is an offence.

Prior was no-where near the ball, and Kewell has jumped over his foot.

Rules of the game means that was probably a foul, genuinely.  :lol:

As long as people are ok with diving

I remember that vividly.  Just to clarify, when I said I'm OK with it I mean that people tolerating it from their own players but not other teams' players really makes me annoyed.

I remember the 06-07 season and a game against Luton at home where Lupoli got into the area and got tackled but stayed on his feet.  The bloke behind me shouted "you should have gone down", and there proceeded a short but intense debate between the two of us in which I made it clear that a) I don't want our players doing that and b) the next time an oppo player dived against us and he complained I would remind him what he said about Lupoli.

I remember that vividly. Just to clarify, when I said I'm OK with it I mean that people tolerating it from their own players but not other teams' players really makes me annoyed.

I remember the 06-07 season and a game against Luton at home where Lupoli got into the area and got tackled but stayed on his feet. The bloke behind me shouted "you should have gone down", and there proceeded a short but intense debate between the two of us in which I made it clear that a) I don't want our players doing that and b) the next time an oppo player dived against us and he complained I would remind him what he said about Lupoli.

Understood your point. It was more those who say that it's ok and part of the game. I wonder how many of those same people would get annoyed by the oppo doing it

I'd be pretty impressed if we got either burke or albrighton. I dont generally think RM is the most important area at the moment but i'm resigned to the fact that we're not going to sign a CB. And i suppose a wide player may help us unlock teams that sit back at PP.

I think it'll be a mistake not strengthening at CB but we'll see how it pans out.

I think we are forgetting that if we dominate the wings with our fullbacks or midfield then the opposition are nowhere near as dangerous down the flanks.

In our promotion year I remember Southampton away where a young Gareth Bale was all over us and causing havoc down the left wing (our right). The solution? Billy Davies took off Bob Malcolm & put on Gary Teale at right wing. Teale put Bale on the back foot and he found himself defending rather than attacking.

The point? You don't just defend by winning headers. If you cut out the crosses and defend as a team by being good enough to attack you are more than halfway there!

I don't get this argument Jayram.

I renewed knowing full well that our wage budget is well down the list of championship clubs. Did some people seriously believe we were going to become big payers and spenders? I doubt it.

To me, Nige deserves this season to see what he can do with his own team at this level of financial constraint. It doesn't seem possible that we can compete with the vast wage bills of our competitors but who knows. If it happens it'll be up there with anything we've done in the past.... 

If this season is deemed a failure then i think the momentum for change (owners/manager/both) will be overwhelming.

5 games in is a bit soon to panic.

Does anyone seriously believe Nige hasn't performed at least creditably in his tenure given (1) one of the lower wage bills in the Championship, (2) one of the smaller squads in the Championship and (3) having come to a club gutted by the worst season in history and the failure to rebound? You may argue I've swallowed the spin but we have improved consistently year on year, albeit slowly, the average age of the squad is a lot younger, and I believe we DO look stronger this year than we did early last year.

I know, even from this distance, all of the chatter from bigger spending clubs was how much Nige was achieving on such a tight budget.

Oh...don't interpret ^ as an endorsement of the owners. I do think they've managed the club's finances carefully by necessity and I don't begrudge them that recognition.

But I still remember the promises of significant new investment when they took over...which never came to fruition. Subsequent promises around ownership and capital have just dissipated.

So I'd welcome a positive change of ownership. But I do think we have always moved too quickly to blame managers and it does more harm than good in my opinion.

Suggest people look back at what Nigel said when he took over; he laid out a longer term strategy (must admit I wasn't that impressed at the time by the Burton model) and he's stuck to it.

I think we are forgetting that if we dominate the wings with our fullbacks or midfield then the opposition are nowhere near as dangerous down the flanks.

In our promotion year I remember Southampton away where a young Gareth Bale was all over us and causing havoc down the left wing (our right). The solution? Billy Davies took off Bob Malcolm & put on Gary Teale at right wing. Teale put Bale on the back foot and he found himself defending rather than attacking.

The point? You don't just defend by winning headers. If you cut out the crosses and defend as a team by being good enough to attack you are more than halfway there!

He took Craig Fagan off as he wasn't tracking back with Bale.

Archived