Ex-Rams Thread

May Contain Nuts

I rate Martin highly.

I wouldn't compare him to Theo or Russell or Ward. They compare to Glenn Murray, Charlie Austin etc.

Martin I think of as a Kuqi when he was here. Play off him. Like Rooney to Van Persie if you like. Martin is Rooney. Extreme comparison I know.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any right minded manager would bring a goal scoring striker off the bench and have plenty of forwards (who can score) on the pitch if the team is losing.

don't you think.

Sammon, Martin and Doyle don't exactly inspire me with goals

Scored goals though, an last time I went to a game, the team that scored the most goals took the points...interesting to see if Russell can manage to score 10+ at this level in a season, its a big step up from the SPL...

It's alright him scoring but if he's losing the ball every two minutes then he's also harming us.

I rate Martin highly.

I wouldn't compare him to Theo or Russell or Ward. They compare to Glenn Murray, Charlie Austin etc.

Martin I think of as a Kuqi when he was here. Play off him. Like Rooney to Van Persie if you like. Martin is Rooney. Extreme comparison I know.

i know, that is very kind on rooney.

I just think Sammon and Theo are too clumsy and wasteful. I think they put us under pressure by having poor control. I think sometimes we just need it to stick for a minute so we can get bodies forward.

I wouldn't say we create many golden chances. That's why Theo was good. He put away enough of the few that we created. Sammon put away a few too. Not as many though.

The problem to me is creating more and better chances. I feel safer knowing we will create lots of great chances than knowing we only need one chance? That's what I'd like to see.

That's how i view it? See where I'm coming from?

Theo is the worst footballer who I have seen play the professional game, but, for is utter lack of ability on the ball - he knew where the ball was going to be in the box, and he always did.

I saw someone mention his finishing, even that was appalling - but he got a lot of chances per game, the goal against Hull summed him up best - swing for the ball, miss it completely throw everyone off and then toe pong it into the goal, brilliance.

He was laughable, yet lovable.  

His finishing can't be that bad if he scored goals here and now doing it again in a poor Doncaster side.

Prior to that he scored a shed load at Hereford and Huddesfield.

Think he scored something like 14 in 10 for Wealdstone too.

But his finishings appauling apparently :/

A strikers main attribute required is finishing, Theo could do that better than Martin, Sammon, Doyle...

He'd guarantee you a dozen goals a season, how many would the above getcha?

The second loudest cheer at the Forest game at home was when Theo controlled the ball that came down with snow on it. Ironic cheers that Theo controlled a difficult ball.

Barnsley at home 2 seasons ago will always stick in my mind for Theo, tackled a Barnsley player in the centre circle but looked like he had no idea how or why he had the ball, so he started to run and took another player on, you could see him growing in confidence, he went past another and another, he was on the right wing, looked up saw Steve Davies in the box so he crosses the ball in and put it in Row R he didn't even get to the near post.

His goal at Donny same season, where he lobbed the keeper, I am convinced that he tried to control that and got it wrong.

These are just a few examples of Theo's general play. Yes he scored goals but how many times was he offside? Give the ball away from a bad pass or awful control? Bet it is far more than he contributed. How many times have people said great pass Theo?

His finishing can't be that bad if he scored goals here and now doing it again in a poor Doncaster side.

Prior to that he scored a shed load at Hereford and Huddesfield.

Think he scored something like 14 in 10 for Wealdstone too.

But his finishings appauling apparently :/

A strikers main attribute required is finishing, Theo could do that better than Martin, Sammon, Doyle...

He'd guarantee you a dozen goals a season, how many would the above getcha?

How many did he get for Huddersfield last season though? And 13 in 43 for Heresford and 16 in 45 for Huddersfield (1st time) is hardly a shed load. And that was in league 1. And 18 in 67 for us is hardly prolific.

In fact just checked Martin's record and up to last season he averaged around 1 goal in 4 games, which is what Theo has averaged through out his career.

Archived