Match Commentary!

StockholmRam

Thats not working for me SRG! Its a non argument. Ramage is the " ex Rams legend" part of the commentary team.. As was Ian Hall, Ted McMinn, Archie, Roger Davies. We cant expect Radio Derby to employ ex Rams as radio presenters. I just expected someone a bit better than Ramage.

Now please tell me, as Im the one starting this thread and saying Ramage loves Watford more than Derby, WHERE I say " bring back Colin Bloomfield"?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the rest of the thread.

Yup.. Read the rest of the thread and the only person saying Ramage prefers Watford to Derby is me!! A few say bring back Bloomers but they dont mention Craig Vicarage Rd Ramage.

So your observation is obscured and the statement you made is incorrect!

You do understand the difference between a pro commentator who is conveying what he sees on the pitch and an ex player who is summarising and trying to explain the intricate details of a footballer, the formation, how it all works etc...?

Beg to differ Curtains. He clearly singled out Keogh on a couple of occasions about needing to get his head in more. Which incidently is 1 thing I dont mind summarisers doing. Just made me smile wrily coming from him. Remember him nearly pooing his knickers v Stuart Pearce on a couple of occasions and Mick Harford called him out on the field a few games!

They may come across as amateurish at times and this is because essentially, they are amateurs!

There is no such thing as a pro-commentator on local radio per se - which would be a specified job with its own wage structure and limited responsibility -  Dawes, Bloomfield and Fletcher before them were broadcast journalists, presenters and producers who just happen to lend their voice to Derby County match commentaries.

If you look at Ed Dawes' linkedin account you'll see the only formal reference to commentary starts from 2012, but that's coupled with a whole host of other responsibilities, sure he's filled in on a few occasions over the last few years but really he's only been 'properly' doing the job as sports commentator for just over a year - so although he's far from an amateur as a broadcaster, he is as a football commentator, which is a bit different to doing a live broadcast on the Beatification Mass of Cardinal John Henry Newman, whatever the hell that is!

Someone said that Bloomfield is better than Dawes, maybe by the end he was but he did the commentary for about 3 seasons before moving to replace Gibson as presenter, and was still learning when he did so - he's acknowledged that himself (I'm not even sure he got any extra money bar expenses for taking on the commentary?) and I vividly remember him receiving a lot of criticism for his commentaries when he first took over, just as I remember people taking a while to warm to Ross Fletcher after Graham Richards.

It's a learning-curve.

If they were any good from the word go, they wouldn't be working in local radio for long.

Graham Richards (the best we ever had by a mile, in my opinion) also used to do TV commentary for Eurosport.

well they dont make it easy on us sharing the game with people in the matchday chatroom xD

yeah right! Someone on the match thread telling us what's happening in the match! Lolololololllllolloll.olool.oll.....loololloplpololloo"loo.

People on this forum have regularly slagged off Graham Richards, so that's when you know not to take this place seriously. If you're reading Bloomers, Dawes or Ramage, then relax. I thought yesterday's commentary was engaging and fun, keep it up!

People on this forum have regularly slagged off Graham Richards, so that's when you know not to take this place seriously. If you're reading Bloomers, Dawes or Ramage, then relax. I thought yesterday's commentary was engaging and fun, keep it up!

Richards was a bit too old fashioned for us younger ones... But for what it's worth, I didn't listen yesterday but it was decent vs Oldham.

Ramage is a Derby Fan, he comes from Alvaston and lives in Mickleover but his success as a player was at watford. I dont think he is very good but at least he has an opinion rather than sit on the fence as all my mates work for the club Davies

Ramage is a Derby Fan, he comes from Alvaston and lives in Mickleover but his success as a player was at watford. I dont think he is very good but at least he has an opinion rather than sit on the fence as all my mates work for the club Davies

Bit confused then by interviews he has given over the years stating that Watford is always the result he looks for 1st..

And does coming from Alvaston and living in Mickleover guarantee Rams fandom?

Personally I think he tells Watford fans one thing and Derby fans another. Which to me makes him a bit of a dick.

Does it matter who ramage played for or that he loves Watford?. He played for derby & he obviously has a big interest in his old club. I think him and dawes  are doing a good job. Ramage is down to earth like rowett was, says what he sees.

Well done lads.

I still listen to old graham Richards commentary some times and he's still the best, Legend. Ought to get him back for a game.

Richards was special SRG. It was an era of commentary that many of us grew up with and like him or not, he had a style all of his own, painted pictures, had his summariser tell us great stories which he knew how to get out of them. I agree that his retirement came at the right time and he wouldnt be to the younger generations taste. But we have not adequately replaced him...

Pick THAT ONE out of the net Mark Crossely.

Richards was special SRG. It was an era of commentary that many of us grew up with and like him or not, he had a style all of his own, painted pictures, had his summariser tell us great stories which he knew how to get out of them. I agree that his retirement came at the right time and he wouldnt be to the younger generations taste. But we have not adequately replaced him...

Pick THAT ONE out of the net Mark Crossely.

He was forced into retirement for his distasteful 9/11 joke.

Archived