Coutts Hendrick Bryson

Hughes

Martin Russell

Surely neither of those are diamonds?

Hendrick

Coutts               Bryson

Huughes

Surely that's a diamond?

Perhaps it was all three and we had a bit of fluidity to it? Don't need people to be so rigid in their positions. So a diamond whereby sometimes one will drop, other times one will move forward and the one that was back will join the centre two. Gives more options and allows the formation to change from attack and defence throughout the game.

First post on here.

Went to the game today so thought I'd add my input. Before they scored we looked pretty comfortable and were controlling the game although weren't particularly threatening them. Their goal came as a result of allowing the cross to get in far too easily and then I think it may have been Freeman that let the man get the header in, without putting much pressure on him. On the subject of Freeman, at first he looked nervous but as the game went on he improved. Was glad he got the assist as he was a bit nervous going forward in the first half.

After their goal we looked a lot more direct. Not in a horrible hoof and hope way but just getting into Martin quicker and playing it over the top into the channels at times for Russell. Deserved our equaliser. 

Scored early on in the second half which always makes it a bit awkward. Do you sit back or go for the third. Thankfully we pushed on looking for a third with Ward and Martin having good chances to score. But Hughes began to look a bit lost and bringing on Eustace was the right move as he pushed us upfield and helped keep the ball a bit better. We looked much better than them footballing wise but I have to say their strikers looked pretty poor.

Martin was the standout. Scored two, nearly a third. But just as importantly held up the ball and won a ridiculous amount of free kicks when we were under pressure or in good positions (note: need to work on our free kicks in those wide dangerous positions; didn't really use them effectively). 

Overall seemed better away from home than when I saw us last season. Martin could hold the ball up (better than Sammon), Eustace could come on to steady the ship, Grant had much better distribution than Fielding and could bring on someone like Ward who forced them to sit back a bit instead of camping in our half. Obviously this could all change next game.

Still there was a point about 15mins in when Keogh went down and I thought we're screwed if he's injured. Another CB is vital.

Harsh Edward, very harsh.

Cheese does pong - but only the good stuff.

Ah, sorry. You must have thought that I was insinuating that there was an 'atmosphere' of a not exactly pleasant nature emanating from your vicinity. It was never my intention to ever suggest such a thing, oh goodness me, no. Far from it.

Seen a few comments that seem to suggest we invited pressure onto ourselves, disagree to an extent. Brighton clearly upped the tempo and went so direct it was almost Stoke like, it's hard for the away side to brush that off. They got the crowd going and when they had that 4/5 corner spell one after another I thought we might cave in, we saw the tough period off and defended really well.

I think there's a difference between inviting pressure via tactics/bad play and being under the cosh from a team with abit of crowd momentum, like today.

On the formation, Coutts seemed out on the right to me. Hendrick being the one who sat deep. It was so fluid it was pretty hard to keep track off. Jake Buxton even ended up cleaning some midfield work at one point! Whilst it seemed abit "free for all", it worked.

It was just enjoyable to watch, Brighton have obvious quality throughout their team which was on show at times today and we took the game to them. It's early days but if we can adopt that approach in our away fixtures we'll do much better on the victory front!

I doubted our ability to win today, I'd of been happy with a point before kick off and it feels a big relief to get that first 3 points on the board.

Bring on Leicester!

We all debated the formation / team selection but nobody called the leaving out of Ward. Brave decision by Clough and solved the problem of how to deal with the midfield three of Hughes / Hendricks / Bryson.

All OK away from home but how will he play it at home? Will he leave Ward out again? or Russell? Or change the formation again?

We all debated the formation / team selection but nobody called the leaving out of Ward. Brave decision by Clough and solved the problem of how to deal with the midfield three of Hughes / Hendricks / Bryson.

All OK away from home but how will he play it at home? Will he leave Ward out again? or Russell? Or change the formation again?

Clough knows best?

Brave to leave Ward out. Right decision though. As good as he is his direct approach doesn't always help when all we really need is 5mins possession to compose ourselves.

A major part of our undoing last week was bizarrely trying to get the ball forward as quick as possible with no players there.

Coutts has his critics but he does TRY to hold possession.

my only arguement about today would be the ease that Brighton could play diagonal balls from 40 yards out from wide positions - but they never had anything through the middle, a left and right mid would have been handy, but, playing with 13 is not allowed, or so I understand. 

I think another day, and another outcome and people would be moaning like buggery, as Tibbs said though - they were hell bent on getting the ball to Ulloa and playing off him, it's a struggle to deal with a team that plays like that - especially when the momentum was with them for large parts of the second half. 

Rather than add to the "we won, ha ha ha. In your face anyone who has criticised the club recently" posts.

Did we play well? I hope the 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 formation (depending on who you listen to) worked. We don't have the wide men so like the idea of a more central looking team with people playing where they're comfortable. Good away result that hopefully adds to confidence away from home and starts to get that monkey off our back.

Anyway be good to hear from anyone who saw the game and can give an honest assessment on us.

I think the 'in your face' type posts are directed at some of the posters who have been posting utter garbage over the summer and post-Blackburn. Your criticisms are backed up and rational and are proper debate. This is rarely the case with some of the more extreme and vocal posters who just continually plug the same agenda regardless of what actually happens. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, just that these sorts really reduce the quality of debate. Sticking two fingers up at them is what they understand.

Archived