How did we play? Formation work?

WilkoRam

Rather than add to the "we won, ha ha ha. In your face anyone who has criticised the club recently" posts.

Did we play well? I hope the 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 formation (depending on who you listen to) worked. We don't have the wide men so like the idea of a more central looking team with people playing where they're comfortable. Good away result that hopefully adds to confidence away from home and starts to get that monkey off our back.

Anyway be good to hear from anyone who saw the game and can give an honest assessment on us.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously Clough read my "suggestion" about playing Hughes behind 2 strikers.

Nobodies too old to learn.

I mean, bloody hell, even I never knew what rimming was until Eddies post in the match day thread made me look on Google.

a little weak in the air i thought, but we recognised our strengths and played the ball on the ground a lot more.

we just need to be a bit more clinical, for example russell had a great chance on his left foot on the edge of the box but instead tried to feed through martin and the chance came to nowt.

Rather than add to the "we won, ha ha ha. In your face anyone who has criticised the club recently" posts.

Did we play well? I hope the 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 formation (depending on who you listen to) worked. We don't have the wide men so like the idea of a more central looking team with people playing where they're comfortable. Good away result that hopefully adds to confidence away from home and starts to get that monkey off our back.

Anyway be good to hear from anyone who saw the game and can give an honest assessment on us.

In your face WilkoRam...

"http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqgsz5zDh41ql7cdto1_r2_400" alt="tumblr_lqgsz5zDh41ql7cdto1_r2_400">

I mean, bloody hell, even I never knew what rimming was until Eddies post in the match day thread made me look on Google.

He meant RHYMING .....  :blink:

From BBC site, twitter feed etc it's nice to hear the oppo manager call us clinical. Certainly wouldn't have been called that last season. Also sounds like we didn't camp out in our own box near the end. Had a chance or two to make it 3. Is that right? Pleasing if it is. If we can add the counter attacking ability to our game then it would be a big bonus.

From BBC site, twitter feed etc it's nice to hear the oppo manager call us clinical. Certainly wouldn't have been called that last season. Also sounds like we didn't camp out in our own box near the end. Had a chance or two to make it 3. Is that right? Pleasing if it is. If we can add the counter attacking ability to our game then it would be a big bonus.

yeah, we invited pressure onto us a little bit at the end but still better than last week. ward had a really good chance on the counter, but he took one touch too many and dragged it just wide. overall i was pleased with the display, nobody really stood out as to having a great game (except for matin's two goals), but nobody had a shocker either :)  

as well as Eustace coming on and organising the defence, it sounds like Coutts,Freeman,and Martin were all really good today...... cant wait for someone who was there to comment.... and hope the highlights on the FLS are more than 40secs :ph34r:  

To reiterate a previous post I am mildly impressed regards todays performance, after watching Blackburn game I was full of trepidation for todays game so pleasantly surprised was proved wrong. One swallow doesnt make a summer and all that though so hope we can build on today against Leicester, still have reservations abut our defence; 2 league games no clean sheets so not jumping for joy just yet....

I think one of the main differences is Martin. Away from home especially, the ball sticks to him, he keeps it, buys us time. The midfield can play it into him, get it back, the team can push forward. For all of Sammon's work rate he did not offer that, but he is a great option from the bench.

The beauty of the diamond is that as long as you keep Hughes  behind the strikers, the other three can rotate roles, so it may well be a 4-3-1-2. I think it gets the best out of our best players and it is exactly where you want Hughes. Today we played to our strengths and it worked, other games it might not but I hope we stick with it as our defence is not good enough for us to sit back.

Great result. Well done lads and Clough!

I distinctly remember crossing it out. It was a typo, and the fact that I used to work in Brighton and have some very good friends down there (in Brighton I mean - not literally 'down there') has nothing to do with it.

Not seen the game, but difference to last season is that now we have a striker(s) who can actually shoot.

To reiterate a previous post I am mildly impressed regards todays performance, after watching Blackburn game I was full of trepidation for todays game so pleasantly surprised was proved wrong. One swallow doesnt make a summer and all that though so hope we can build on today against Leicester, still have reservations abut our defence; 2 league games no clean sheets so not jumping for joy just yet....

An African or a European swallow?

Archived