Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the club have done their homework about this lad, but only having him on loan, and with the previous issues with our defence, I can't help but still be a tad worried. Even if Bucko was still the answer at centrehalf, with his injury record I just can't rest easy until we actually have more options at the back, whether that be another young defender to bring through or if we go out and get a partner for Keogh.

...if we lose Keogh to injury this season...

Why did you even mention this?

you know what's going to happen now don't you..  :unsure:

Because it would completely destroy the backline. Losing Brayford alone is going to be a huge loss, but ultimately it's come before the season opener, we've moved quickly to get a replacement in, and we still have good cover in the position. At centrehalf though, what have we got?

Keogh

Buxton - injury troubles in the past

Gjokaj - 6 Championship appearances

Barker - Won't be ready for a while yet, injury troubles

O'Brien - see above

Then some players with basically no first team experience in Lelan and Hanson.

Past that we've down to making do and injury cover loans. We should be absolutely terrified of the prospect of having to play Eustace, Forsyth or this Smith lad at centrehalf instead of an actual centrehalf. These players aren't even all that experienced there, Eustace is a midfielder, Forsyth a winger and Smith is an out and out fullback from what I've seen. Basically, we lose Buxton (and that's a real possibility) and we're already in very real trouble, losing Keogh would be an utter disaster.

The other side to losing Brayford is losing centrehalf cover. We now don't have the option of moving Brayford into the middle and playing Freeman at rightback. Basically, We have 3 centrehalves with injury troubles in the past, a handful of youngsters and Keogh. If we lose Keogh for whatever reason this season we are in serious serious trouble. It's not a matter of predicting the future, it's a matter of identifying an obvious, terrifying weakness in the squad. One new defender mightn't even be enough depending on how Barker and O'Brien recover, but that's a whole other story, and I'd hope that with 3 front line centrehalves (Keogh, Buxton and New) and the youngsters (Gjokaj, Hanson and Lelan) we should be able to get by. Honestly though, when our key weakness was the defence last season, surely this should have been mission number 1 to solve.

I don't agree it's a fallacy many young players play and never improve. Just as many young players drop down the leagues as go and kick on and improve. Huddleston, Holmes, nyatanga, grant, camp, Barnes, Izale, Murray, riggott, Elliot, bolder, jackson, Addison. A couple kicked on, a couple stayed the same, some dropped down.

I'd say every single one of them improved from NEVER HAVING PLAYED FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL to actually having played some games... Pretty much has to be an improvement since they're starting from a base of zero...

We'd get an emergency loan in, wouldn't we? Plenty of PL CB's available, especially someone from a promoted team that isn't playing anymore.

And that situation is only really scary until OB and Barker come back, then it's less of a worry. 

Although OB doesn't convince me in the slightest, wouldn't start with him.

Everybody he has been at rates him highly and even Spurs do. If he is the player people make him out to be I think he would actually be an improvement on Brayford. He has a brilliant right foot, can shoot and can cross very well, two things Brayford was not known for. If his crosses are half decent I hope that Coutts is never allowed to cross the ball again. 

Great signing, hope he doesn't do too will because we might want to sign him at the end of the season. 

Seems a good player. I'm not concerned it's a season long loan without permanent built in, who knows what could happen and reassess next summer.

A first choice partner for keogh is important but the club is in a difficult position with so many CBs already on the books. I suspect we'll get someone on loan to challenge bucko and then see where we are come Christmas...

Perhaps not the outcome we might have wished for but a likely reality.

Archived