Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

Disappointed, for the reasons that have already been mentioned. Pleased with the ability of the player, but it's a strange one. It's just delaying the problem a year with a player we would never sign (unless we somehow went up).

Very disappointed if this is being classed as spending the £1.5m on the team, especially given the line that we aren't rushing for a CB, and that it will be a loan anyway. Extremely concerned that the cover listed for CB is Gjokaj (fine, he's a CB, if not inexperienced), Eustace (a midfielder) and Forsyth (a full back come midfielder), yet this is considered ample.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My perspective. This lad (Smith) will be a good signing. No problems there! The centre back situation worries me in respect of cover not in respect of Bucko. The full Blackburn game is now on Rams Player. In the first 45mins I didn't see Bucko do much wrong in fact I thought he did well but I plan to watch it all asap and specifically see how he played for myself then judge. Having said that if we do spend the 1.5million on a very good centre half I won't complain.

Basically I don't think we are in trouble over this just disappointing we haven't taken the opportunity to kick on. My guess is the purse strings are being held back by the deadwood not shifting. 

If imagine the 6 not sold definitely do have something to do with it.

I suppose the thing to consider with the CBs is if barker and OB are fit we have 5 not including Hanson. If we signed another starting 11 CB we would be a bit heavy in that dept so a loan does make sense, a lot of ifs and buts though

No. Other article says no rush for centre back.

Basically we aren't spending the £1.5m like they said.

Agreed. I assume there was no loan fee involved and Tottenham will continue to pay 100% of his wages.

I just wish instead of getting a quality Premier League loanee they would just rush out and spend £1.5million on anybody to keep some fans happy.

I agree I'm also pretty worried about the CB situation. Possibly a good sign that OB and barker are doing better than expected but we were weak there last season and we've got weaker if anything

Jake misplaced one pass in 5 pre-season games, and that was in the second half against West Brom.

I suppose that does make him human.

Agreed. I assume there was no loan fee involved and Tottenham will continue to pay 100% of his wages.

I just wish instead of getting a quality Premier League loanee they would just rush out and spend £1.5million on anybody to keep some fans happy.

In fairness I think he was referring to the fact that when Bray was sold it was said that the money would be spent getting in a RB and a CB - that no longer appears to be the case so the money has not been spent as they said it would.

The other points people have raised is with the lack of funds did we really need an RB on loan which is a fair point,and that CB has been our weakest area in terms of cover for a while, got weaker when JB left and I think most on here assumed that was the priority.

It maybe that they still want a CB but don't want to appear desperate in case it pushes prices up - I really hope that is what they are doing but it would be unlike Nigel, he is generally very honest and straightforward.

Freeman will still get games, probably about the same as last season.

Smith is reputed to be a good player and will improve our first eleven and definitely has something to prove because he must know he is unlikely to become first choice at Spurs. A big season for the lad.

As far as the Brayford money goes, I consider that as still available for when we find the CB we obviously need to bring that position up to the same level as most of the rest of the team.

Freeman will still get games, probably about the same as last season.

Smith is reputed to be a good player and will improve our first eleven and definitely has something to prove because he must know he is unlikely to become first choice at Spurs. A big season for the lad.

As far as the Brayford money goes, I consider that as still available for when we find the CB we obviously need to bring that position up to the same level as most of the rest of the team.

But they have said we aren't looking for a permanent centre back, so how does that work?

But they have said we aren't looking for a permanent centre back, so how does that work?

Have they?

"NIGEL Clough says Derby County are searching the transfer market for a centreback but feels the form of Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton is providing breathing space."

"So it is not a desperate situation and it would have to be the right player but we are still looking to try and get some cover in. We are making calls.

"With John Brayford going, it gives us some leeway to bring another defender in."

Are you sure you have not just come to your own conclusion to create another stick to beat the club with?

Personally I read that as saying we know we need another centre back but we are not going to make a panic buy just to keep some fans quiet....a sensible strategy in my opinion.

Eddie oh Eddie have you ever played football lol

I shall re-consider my opinion to be worthless now because I haven't played professional football.

What is SAM Rush's email?

It's a type of electronic communication for the transmission and receipt of messages to and from Sam Rush's computer.

Have they?

"NIGEL Clough says Derby County are searching the transfer market for a centreback but feels the form of Richard Keogh and Jake Buxton is providing breathing space."

"So it is not a desperate situation and it would have to be the right player but we are still looking to try and get some cover in. We are making calls.

"With John Brayford going, it gives us some leeway to bring another defender in."

Are you sure you have not just come to your own conclusion to create another stick to beat the club with?

Personally I read that as saying we know we need another centre back but we are not going to make a panic buy just to keep some fans quiet....a sensible strategy in my opinion.

You missed the line above the quote - i.e.

Any new centre-back would likely arrive on loan.

Fair enough it wasn't Clough saying it but if it is said in the DET it is likely to be the case.

To be fair though I just read the article again and, as you say, it doesn't say we aren't looking, just taking our time and that is sensible - I made the error of basically focusing on the headline which implies the search has stopped or at least dropped down the to do list.

getting the right player is crucial and if that takes time so be it - better headline would have been "CB search ongoing" though, it would still have been true if you go by NC's comments and would have been a lot more positive....

. Your man might need some devine intervention when Rhodes is coming at him on Sunday lol

Jake isn't my man.

He is a man of the people.

Now I may be being just a little presumptuous here, but from your previous utterances and the impression that you have given, I have to assume that you were a former professional footballer, right? And because you were a former professional footballer and you are so critical of Jake Buxton and practically everything he does, then I can assume that you were a very, VERY good professional footballer, right?

Oh, and there is an 'I' in Divine, unless Jake is relying on help from someone whose surname is derived from the Irish name Ó Daimhín

Edit:

John Devine fits the bill, but he's 55 now.

I don't think in the short we could have signed a much better right back than Adam Smith, who people are rightfully saying is playing for something bigger than promotion.

He needs to do extremely well, stand out head and shoulders in this league to get where he wants to be, he has rejected QPR this summer already - I think he is an extremely good signing, and on this subject that is all I will say.

However, with the rest of the comments I am sceptical - as people have fore-mentioned, if that money isn't re-invested we need to win every single game we play this season otherwise the majority will have the knifes out. 

We could finish second, and I still bet there would be ''if we re-invested the brayford money we could have finished top'' so, personally think that money needs to be openly spent to at least stave off fan unrest! 

Archived