Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

Don't reinforce the commonly-held misconception that some former professional footballers are as thick as pigmuck. People all have their strengths. It's just that communication possibly wasn't one of yours.

Only a reference to the frequent use of 'LOL'.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no sure about this loan. clough and rush both said.. we would only bring players in who would be of a better standard than those who left. this with smith remains to be seen. of course its all about opions and i will hold judgement untill ive seen the lad play. but on the cb cover im still very worried we only ned a injury etc and we will be very short.

I doubt if Spurs will be paying 100% of his wages it does not work like that!

A promising young player who COULD be ok. But... do we really think the squad is now stronger than the one that finished last year?

We were sold from Rush and co that it would be. I think we have broken even at best which is not what this clubs needs. Some would say that in terms of strength in depth we are weaker.

Take the likely first 11 on Sunday... take away three key players through injury... what do you have left?

I doubt if Spurs will be paying 100% of his wages it does not work like that!

A promising young player who COULD be ok. But... do we really think the squad is now stronger than the one that finished last year?

We were sold from Rush and co that it would be. I think we have broken even at best which is not what this clubs needs. Some would say that in terms of strength in depth we are weaker.

Take the likely first 11 on Sunday... take away three key players through injury... what do you have left?

Excellent squad depth for the first time in years....

Martin picks up a knock, we can bring in Sammon

Ward's hamstring goes, Jacobs comes in

Smith get's a 3 game ban, Freeman steps up

Hughes suffers from fatigue, Eustace slots in.

i could go on. 

Which 3? If it was Keogh, Bucko and Forsyth we'd be in trouble... If it was Martin, Ward and Hughes then less so...

In terms of back-up:

GK - Improved (maybe) 1st choice, same (currently) back-up

CB - Same as last yr, with potentially Barker to improev it at some point

LB - Improvement at starter (maybe) and Hoganson with 1 yrs more experience

RB - Wait and see on 1st choice, same back-up (youngster with 1 yr more experience)

CM - All more experienced, plus back-up of proper DM

RM - Same

LM - Same + Jacobs 1 yr experience at champs level

ST - Improvment with new additions + Martin proper pre-season

Are you sober yet? lol  :)

I am.

I can't speak for my liver though. I went to the doctor's the other week and asked him whether he could give me anything for it.

He suggested a pound of onions.

Which 3? If it was Keogh, Bucko and Forsyth we'd be in trouble... If it was Martin, Ward and Hughes then less so...

In terms of back-up:

GK - Improved (maybe) 1st choice, same (currently) back-up

CB - Same as last yr, with potentially Barker to improev it at some point

LB - Improvement at starter (maybe) and Hoganson with 1 yrs more experience

RB - Wait and see on 1st choice, same back-up (youngster with 1 yr more experience)

CM - All more experienced, plus back-up of proper DM

RM - Same

LM - Same + Jacobs 1 yr experience at champs level

ST - Improvment with new additions + Martin proper pre-season

Ok but my point was we were sold on meanigful investment not relying on players having a bit more experience and maybe being better than before..............

Quality player by all accounts

Loan or Permenent he's here for the 2012/14 season so lets hope his impact is immediate.

At CB I too kept a close eye on Bucko when watching the West Brom full 90. Taking that game and the rest of pre season into account, he could be good enough. Many will disagree but his heading is only just poorer than Keogh's he looked very assured in the tackle and his positioning has meant he has not been done for pace. Also how much has his ball playing improved!!! His touch on left foot and right foot is phenomenal and as people before have said he very rarely misplaces a pass.

So as for getting a CB Sam Rush is "making some calls" so they are obviously looking at their options.

I wouldn't mind starting the season with Bucko and seeing how it goes. If he is found out and players run rings round him then get someone in.

However I think Bucko looked decent against Long and Anelka (even though it was a friendly which does come into account) so coping with Rhodes will be easy for the mighty Bucko

Quality player by all accounts

Loan or Permenent he's here for the 2012/14 season so lets hope his impact is immediate.

At CB I too kept a close eye on Bucko when watching the West Brom full 90. Taking that game and the rest of pre season into account, he could be good enough. Many will disagree but his heading is only just poorer than Keogh's he looked very assured in the tackle and his positioning has meant he has not been done for pace. Also how much has his ball playing improved!!! His touch on left foot and right foot is phenomenal and as people before have said he very rarely misplaces a pass.

So as for getting a CB Sam Rush is "making some calls" so they are obviously looking at their options.

I wouldn't mind starting the season with Bucko and seeing how it goes. If he is found out and players run rings round him then get someone in.

However I think Bucko looked decent against Long and Anelka (even though it was a friendly which does come into account) so coping with Rhodes will be easy for the mighty Bucko

Yeah, it's amazing how much Buxton has improved - agreed that his ground skills have massively improved...his positional play still looked abit ropey to me against WBA (got dragged out of position a couple of times), however I felt that was more due to Forsyth and Buxton having to cover him. Hopefully Forsyth can improve this side of his game, as it's not natural to him but we shall see.

Overall, I'm still fairly worried about our defence due to our midfield dilemma. We have plentiful orthodox/attacking midfielders that we can't afford to drop but this creates the two problems of:

1, Not having enough constant protection for the defence (which Eustace may provide)

and

2, When choosing to not drop Bryson/Hughes/Hendrick - one of them plays a false wide position, which isn't natural to them and nullifies some of their attacking game and harms us defensive-wise, when they tuck in and expose our fullbacks.

Yeah, it's amazing how much Buxton has improved - agreed that his ground skills have massively improved...his positional play still looked abit ropey to me against WBA (got dragged out of position a couple of times), however I felt that was more due to Forsyth and Buxton having to cover him. Hopefully Forsyth can improve this side of his game, as it's not natural to him but we shall see.

Overall, I'm still fairly worried about our defence due to our midfield dilemma. We have plentiful orthodox/attacking midfielders that we can't afford to drop but this creates the two problems of:

1, Not having enough constant protection for the defence (which Eustace may provide)

and

2, When choosing to not drop Bryson/Hughes/Hendrick - one of them plays a false wide position, which isn't natural to them and nullifies some of their attacking game and harms us defensive-wise, when they tuck in and expose our fullbacks.

The midfield exposing the defence could be a real issue.

What I think may happen is at home we get away with it because our back 4 can push a high defensive line not giving the opponents space to run into.

Away from Home I think Clough will be very tempted to play Eustace.

Also I think Coutts may push Hendrick out the team for Blackburn. What a strong bench that would be.

Legzdins Freeman Eustace Sammon Davies Hendrick Jacobs

When does being a year older mean any player is better? What a load of rubbish. Some players improve some dont

Generally players improve once they've had experience of actually playing... some don't you're right, but I'd say most players under 20 improve from never having played to having actually played...

Yeah, I'd be tempted to drop Hendrick too if Coutts is fully fit - what will Blackburn's midfield look like?

Think I'd still prefer Sammon too but Martin to his credit, looks sharper in the pre-season games than he did last season.

If this Smith is very attacking, we'll defo need somebody to cover his runs but hopefully they're used to that from the Brayford days (sniffle).

Generally players improve once they've had experience of actually playing... some don't you're right, but I'd say most players under 20 improve from never having played to having actually played...

I don't agree it's a fallacy many young players play and never improve. Just as many young players drop down the leagues as go and kick on and improve. Huddleston, Holmes, nyatanga, grant, camp, Barnes, Izale, Murray, riggott, Elliot, bolder, jackson, Addison. A couple kicked on, a couple stayed the same, some dropped down.

We have a bit more strength in depth attacking wise but people who are saying we have freeman to come in or eustace in defence I worry about you. Those sort of players playing in the first team will result in us having to score more than we concede to win games.

As it stands today, it's another summer gone and Clough has not done anything to improve the defence.

A right back who hasn't trained with our players, a slow cumbersome jake Buxton who resorts to fouling most of the time, Keogh who I do rate, and a left back who was a midfielder and is now even being talked about as a back up central defender!

Clough or Rush could do a great thing now and go and sign a good central defender who will make an instant impact. If he did that, only then would I be thinking about top six.

Archived