Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/#!/articles/news/article/19587508

NEW signing Adam Smith is confident Derby County can push for the top six this season.The 22-year-old right back (pictured) has arrived on a season-long loan from Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur.

He spent last season on loan at Millwall in the Championship and helped the Lions to survive a relegation fight.

"Hopefully I will be involved at the other end of the table this season," said Smith following his first training session at Moor Farm this morning."The session was nice and sharp," said the England Under-21 international. "It was nice to see the lads and train with them. It's been a good first day."Looking at the squad here, I think we can be up in the top six this season."

Smith said he first heard of Derby's interest late last week. Derby moved quickly for the defender after first-choice right back John Brayford signed for Cardiff City."My agent rang me and told me of Derby's interest, and I was willing to come," said Smith. "The move happened very quickly. Derby is a massive club."I'm pleased to be here for the season. You can settle for a year and get your home life in control. I like to be settled with my family and my girlfriend. Hopefully my football will be better for that."It is a bit different from London but what I have seen so far is nice, and the people are nice."As Long as I am playing football and I have got my family, that is the most important thing."Smith, who recently signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with Tottenham, has totalled 117 games in loan spells at six different clubs including 28 appearances with Millwall last season.He is a product of Tottenham's youth system and has played twice for the White Hart Lane club.He is expected to make his debut for Derby in the opening Championship fixture against Blackburn Rovers at Pride Park Stadium on Sunday.

Archived