It's top six or bust for Derby

Like signing Danny Murphy now? What planet are you on? Reich did have a German cap and two Bundesliga titles.. And? Edgar Davids has played for Palace and Boston.. What do you think they were paying him £50k a week?

And trying to compare a 2003 budget to a 2009 budget? Do you think there are massive differences? Damien Duff went from Blackburn to Chelsea for £17mill that summer.. What do you think that's like £51mill in today's world?

Your laughable

You're

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Grandad

According to Ambitous, by my calculations he seems to think we were paying Ian Taylor £29k a week..

Don't mention it, Gringo.

You tell Ambitious that there is no way that he can no what Clough's budget is and then in the next sentence tell him that Burley got us in to the play offs with practically no budget?!

Well it's all speculation isn't it. But if your really trying to argue that Burley had a bigger budget and was working in easier circumstances than Clough is then I really don't know what to say to that.......

Bris is getting rather touchy now we seem to be on the verge of a good season. I'm sure he has made a big deal of the bookie's odds in previous seasons too.

At least Motsyn has realised this and is already changing his opinion. I reckon he'll always have been one of Clough's biggest fans in 2-3 years time.

Bris will have moved onto how we were much better under Jim Smith and that Eranio and Bainio were better thus Clough is rubbish.

It seems pretty likely that we will be better than last year. The only possible downgrade is at RB. We were fairly lucky with injuries last season so that could impact us more perhaps.

We've probably improved at LB and definitely improved at defensive midfield and goal scorer as we never had either last time. Think most people assume Grant is an upgrade and Hughes & Hendrick should be better again.

CB cover probably needed at some point but got a few weeks to see how that pans out.

This should be at least 2nd best season since McClaren left. About 15 years.

Like signing Danny Murphy now? What planet are you on? Reich did have a German cap and two Bundesliga titles.. And? Edgar Davids has played for Palace and Boston.. What do you think they were paying him £50k a week?

And trying to compare a 2003 budget to a 2009 budget? Do you think there are massive differences? Damien Duff went from Blackburn to Chelsea for £17mill that summer.. What do you think that's like £51mill in today's world?

You're laughable

You call me laughable, and then comment on the second biggest transfer of that summer(involving english clubs, the biggest being 25million for beckham)? to compare 2003 to 2009, that's like saying Beckham went for 25million, Ronaldo went for 80million so there is your difference - but it's a horseshit example! 

We had well known players on our books, ex-international, title winners.. all in all we had a good amount of top flight players! that were experienced, I am talking relative to the time we were playing in.

I can’t believe I am even entertaining this idea though, money in the game is completely different to what it was in 2003, especially at this level particularly – you want a recognised premier league player on the back end of his career now, you’re looking at paying 20k/30k (what Danny Murphy was on) back then, when we signed Ian Taylor we’d have paid 8k (roughly) that would have put him on as one of the top earners in the division IMO.

Marlon King moving to Forest for 950k was massive, very, very rarely was money like that spent in this division, but now – that fee is acceptable on a squad player at this level for some clubs! I mean Vardy signed form non-league for 1million pound to play for Leicester development squad at the age of 26. It is completely different. 

You call me laughable, and then comment on the second biggest transfer of that summer(involving english clubs, the biggest being 25million for beckham)? to compare 2003 to 2009, that's like saying Beckham went for 25million, Ronaldo went for 80million so there is your difference - but it's a horseshit example! 

We had well known players on our books, ex-international, title winners.. all in all we had a good amount of top flight players! that were experienced, I am talking relative to the time we were playing in.

I can’t believe I am even entertaining this idea though, money in the game is completely different to what it was in 2003, especially at this level particularly – you want a recognised premier league player on the back end of his career now, you’re looking at paying 20k/30k (what Danny Murphy was on) back then, when we signed Ian Taylor we’d have paid 8k (roughly) that would have put him on as one of the top earners in the division IMO.

Marlon King moving to Forest for 950k was massive, very, very rarely was money like that spent in this division, but now – that fee is acceptable on a squad player at this level for some clubs! I mean Vardy signed form non-league for 1million pound to play for Leicester development squad at the age of 26. It is completely different. 

I think you will see Football League transfer fees plummet after reducing TV revenus, sponsorship, gate recepits, FFP etc. Most clubs will have to sell to buy, in fact it is happening now.

If we don't get promoted in the next two years we will have missed the gravy train.

What's not realistic about Di Matteo, Appleton, Curbishley, O'Neil, Hoddle?

Well, where to start? I guess with an apology if it seems like I'm intentionally picking on your posts to argue with.

What's not realistic about Di Matteo? I should think being a Champions League winning manager would put him a bit beyond the reach of any Championship teams at present.

Appleton hasn't been able to stay at a club for much more than a year and has jumped ship well before he can be properly judged. He was immune from criticism at Portsmouth because of their situation, skipped off to Blackpool for a grand total of 2 months and 3 days, jumped ship to Blackburn in January where he's working with one of the biggest budgets in the league. Personally I wouldn't touch the rat.

Time and time again Curbishly has said he's only interested in managing a Premiership team, sure his name gets bandied about every time there's a vacancy but the reality is he hasn't managed a team for nearly 5 years.

O'Neil might drop down to this league at some point, although he hasn't done so since taking Leicester up in the 90s. Besides that there appears to be a tendency for it all to turn sour after a couple of years once he's spent quite a lot of money and not really progressed a team.

Hoddle hasn't worked in English football for over 7 years. His name has cropped up a few times in bookies lists, recentl;y linked to Forest but there's been no suggestion he's in the least bit interested in coming back after those 7 years to manage a Championship club on a budget

Mick McCarthy may have been a more realistic suggestion had he not joined Ipswich last season.

So you think the difference between $3k and $8k is similar to $8k and $40k? Are you for real?

What difference does it make where they come from? I mean seriously, did Crystal Palace pay Edgar Davids $50k a week? Or are you just talking rubbish again?

What are you talking about anyway regarding recognised PL players? Do you think Blackpool were paying Ian Harte $30k a week? and then Carlisle the same?

And assuming your referring to Ian Taylor.. We signed him on a free transfer, as he was released by PL Villa after making about 30 appearences in 2 years.. He was no longer a PL player and was signed at 35 years of age.. That's a whole different kettle of fish to Blackburn buying a Fulham midfielder who was still regularly playing and created more goals than any other PL player that season..

As for the rest of our high earning, established PL players and Budesliga winners.. I assume you mean a 34 year old Jeff Kenna who was out on loan at the likes of Tranmere and Brum before coming to us? A 30 year old Michael Johnson who only played 6 games for promoted Birmingham.. Yeh he must have been on a shed load of money too..

So you think the difference between £3k and £8k is similar to £8k and £40k? Are you for real?

What difference does it make where they come from? I mean seriously, did Crystal Palace pay Edgar Davids £50k a week? Or are you just talking rubbish again?

What are you talking about anyway regarding recognised PL players? Do you think Blackpool were paying Ian Harte £30k a week? and then Carlisle the same?

And assuming your referring to Ian Taylor.. We signed him on a free transfer, as he was released by PL Villa after making about 30 appearences in 2 years.. He was no longer a PL player and was signed at 35 years of age.. That's a whole different kettle of fish to Blackburn buying a Fulham midfielder who was still regularly playing and created more goals than any other PL player that season..

As for the rest of our high earning, established PL players and Budesliga winners.. I assume you mean a 34 year old Jeff Kenna who was out on loan at the likes of Tranmere and Brum before coming to us? A 30 year old Michael Johnson who only played 6 games for promoted Birmingham.. Yeh he must have been on a shed load of money too..

Look let's face it, this argument about relativity could go on for while - so I'll put stop to it.

I don't think we're ever going to agree on much, because, we're different people with different mindsets

I will focus on the positives and won't waver on my support for the current manager or players, and will continue my support based on the postives. You, however, even go out your way to criticise the club, clough and the players in a game you didn't even watch or listen too - I mean, I can't just get my head round that, you find great happiness in telling everyone they're less superior than yourself because they try and be positive and we don't know what real football is, and according to you the majority, including the coaching staff at the club have no clue - yet when I try and get you to answer a question, you simply just hide behind ridiculous remarks like 'did crystal palace pay edgar davids 50k a week'.

I think the best thing for my health is to put you on my ignore list, because even I get tired of my own biting back. 

Look let's face it, this argument about relativity could go on for while - so I'll put stop to it.

I don't think we're ever going to agree on much, because, we're different people with different mindsets

I will focus on the positives and won't waver on my support for the current manager or players, and will continue my support based on the postives. You, however, even go out your way to criticise the club, clough and the players in a game you didn't even watch or listen too - I mean, I can't just get my head round that, you find great happiness in telling everyone they're less superior than yourself because they try and be positive and we don't know what real football is, and according to you the majority, including the coaching staff at the club have no clue - yet when I try and get you to answer a question, you simply just hide behind ridiculous remarks like 'did crystal palace pay edgar davids 50k a week'.

I think the best thing for my health is to put you on my ignore list, because even I get tired of my own biting back. 

What question did you ask? Are you asking about Ian Taylor being relatively cheap? I guarantee that Ian Taylor was a cheaper deal than Shaun Barker.. And he gave far more than what Shaun Barker has ever given Derby

As for my posts, I'm merely acting a part that you all painted of me a long time ago..

As for my posts, I'm merely acting a part that you all painted of me a long time ago..

I was thinking that your ridiculous comments after the Wba friendly were just a self-depreciating dig at your actual ridiculous comments after peteborough away season before last.

I was thinking that your ridiculous comments after the Wba friendly were just a self-depreciating dig at your actual ridiculous comments after peteborough away season before last.

I will not join in, I promised Boyvie.

I will not join in, I promised Boycie.

I will not join in, I promised Boycie.

Done it. Right, carry on.

Haha I'm not a Gringo

Viejito

I AM a grandad, and I'm delighted about it.

Why do you think it's an insult?

Archived