naming rights of PP

SuperSheep

If we were talking about renaming the baseball ground then I'd be dead against it. As it's pride park and is already a pretty meaningless name with no soul whatsoever I don't see a major problem. I'd prefer them to name it something good and derby related though to be honest, I'm sure we could come up with something decent between us...

Rebel Scum hit the nail on the head. We might have a reasonable name for the first 2 or 3 years but then its the highest bidder. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rebel Scum hit the nail on the head. We might have a reasonable name for the first 2 or 3 years but then its the highest bidder.

I guess that would be the likely scenario, better the devil you know I suppose. However, there's nothing to say we couldn't sign a deal for five years and then name it something decent when we no longer need the money cos we've just won the quadruple...

I don't like Pride Park stadium as a name.

Isn't it just the name of the business area where the stadium is located.

It all depends on the company ultimately.

If the company is a money grabbing cheap pay day loan brightly coloured logo affair, stay away.

An airline could work. Ie like Emirates and Etihad.

Maybe a local business as someone said Rolls Royce. 'The Rolls Royce stadium" sounds quite good IMO.

I don't like Pride Park stadium as a name.

Isn't it just the name of the business area where the stadium is located.

It all depends on the company ultimately.

If the company is a money grabbing cheap pay day loan brightly coloured logo affair, stay away.

An airline could work. Ie like Emirates and Etihad.

Maybe a local business as someone said Rolls Royce. 'The Rolls Royce stadium" sounds quite good IMO.

I think you'll find that most of the original stadium names derived from locations.

Over half the bundelisga clubs have sponsered stadiums and they seem to have full stfiums week in week out. And cheaper too. I really can't see the problem with it.

Do you really think that a sponsored stadium per se would lead to full houses and cheaper prices?

Over half the bundelisga clubs have sponsered stadiums and they seem to have full stfiums week in week out. And cheaper too. I really can't see the problem with it.

A Bundesliga club has a far bigger profile and media presence than a English 2nd tier club, who only get brief mentions/coverage on national BBC/SKY.

As we're both of the same vintage,we probably identify the BBG with an emotional pull because of the atmosphere it generated and the great games we both saw there.However,in its early years this pull probably didn't exist for the then fans-it took years of developing history to do the job (ditto the likes of "Old Trafford" and "White Hart Lane").Who's to say that PP couldn't eventually go the same way ,especially if safe standing and a return to the top tier materialised.A renaming would just reset us to zero history again,and probably for a relative pittance.

To those who say that it's just named after a business park,at least it's part of Derby (and just look at the 2 famous examples I gave)

I couldn't agree more. Clubs are just becoming more and more generic for me, Pride Park is unique to Derby and that is something I want my club to hang on to. If they are to sell the naming rights then for me it should only be to a Derby company or something Derby based. What I really do like about the club currently is how it seems to be trying to be so much more community based, something I believe keeps Derby as a rare thing in the modern game. But hey some values don't matter in society anymore!

We have 'sold' it and have our hallowed ground name after the best offer... Our ground / Stadium is our home - not to be tarted for 'a pittance'!

The Baseball Ground was hallowed ground.

For me, Pride Park is an Ikea flatpack where Derby play home games.

That's probably my age.

It'll be "a six figure sum", and it certainly won't be RR.

Marston's Pedigree?

Toyota?

Surely not Buy Mobiles.

Someone totally new?

The Baseball Ground was hallowed ground.

For me, Pride Park is an Ikea flatpack where Derby play home games.

That's probably my age.

In reality though, the BBG was a badly built ***** hole where three of the stands were at weird angles to the pitch. It was situated in the middle of the back end of Derby with no parking and named after an American rounders game on a crap pitch that was the smallest in the league. The atmosphere did rock, but only during our successful years. I have been there when there was less than 10,000 in the ground for a league game when it was dirt cheap to get in.

I like PP, I can park my car, get a drink easily but above all everyone has a great view on a nice pitch. If we get some success again the atmosphere will return.

In reality though, the BBG was a badly built ***** hole where three of the stands were at weird angles to the pitch. It was situated in the middle of the back end of Derby with no parking and named after an American rounders game on a crap pitch that was the smallest in the league. The atmosphere did rock, but only during our successful years. I have been there when there was less than 10,000 in the ground for a league game when it was dirt cheap to get in.

I like PP, I can park my car, get a drink easily but above all everyone has a great view on a nice pitch. If we get some success again the atmosphere will return.

booo...boring middle aged viewpoint.

true tho'  :D

At the end of the day I look at it like this.

If we sell the rights that could increase the transfer budget. Making the team better and the chance of promotion will improve too. Then the stadium will be a sell out every week and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

At the end of the day I look at it like this.

If we sell the rights that could increase the transfer budget. Making the team better and the chance of promotion will improve too. Then the stadium will be a sell out every week and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

Trouble with naming rights is look at Fester. Was the Walkers Stadium, now King Power , and then it will change again with the sponsors every few years.

Not good.

Whatever the name. It will always be a silent bowl of contempt. Except of course when Take That are blasting through the speakers.

Might as well sell the name. Getting used to hearing the thud as yet another nail fires into the football coffin.

Saturday 23 January 2016

Sony Entertainment Championship

KO 11:00pm

Sky Sports Arena #24

Derby County Colgate v Southampton Samsungs

1: Derby kick us off shooting towards the velodrome end.

3:The crowd murmured there as Mason Bennett hits the bar

8: GOAL! it's booing all around as The Samsungs have their first shot heavily deflected in

23 : end of First Quarter. Colgates 0-1 Samsungs

We should practice our American accents too.

Does nobody understand? What if this happened to the baseball ground 15 years after it was built and we were short of money, you'd be saying exactly the same!

For Pride Park to be ever anything like the baseball ground in any of your minds, it has to stay for the amount of years the BBG did and then think about changing it?

I've had a season ticket every season since we moved to Pride Park, to me, it is the home and the history I know of Derby County that I have witnessed with my own eyes.

To sell it for a few bob would sum up everything that is wrong with modern day football!

Archived