The importance of having a Cult Hero, and showing intention.

Mostyn6

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you seen what I was responding to when I wrote it? or are you being selective again?

Always selective, Mostyn.

TobyWanKenobi

If we are talking about the best players we have, then I wouldn't put Buxton up there. However best and worst lists are completely subjective and only a complete tool would call people names for who they select.

It's the same with cult favourites. We each have our own prerequisites when selecting things like that. I prefer the elegance of a Beckenbauer pass than a mazey Maradona dribble. I prefer a crunching tackle that leaves the attacker in a heap than a skillful pickpocket.

Buxton has heart and passion, and enough skill to play his part. It doesnt make him Bobby Moore, but it doesnt hurt.

standing (or sitting) in the stand over the last few years, I've certainly got no feeling that ANYONE on the pitch is a fans favourite.

I DO predict that Johnny Russell will be just that!

I would say a large majority believe Wardy and Brayford to be fans favourites? Surely?

Oh dear Mostyn, you've made yourself look a right cult on this thread.

I cried myself to sleep over Mostyn's hurtful comment.

Oh no, not 'cried' - what's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. 'Dribbled'.

Bobby Davison was a hero, rather than a cult hero. Johnny Russell could be in the same mould.

Bucko is your actual definition of a cult hero in the "blokes want to have a pint with him" tradition, rather than a hero in the "kids want to be him" tradition.

That's my take anyway.

Bobby Davison was a hero, rather than a cult hero. Johnny Russell could be in the same mould.

Bucko is your actual definition of a cult hero in the "blokes want to have a pint with him" tradition, rather than a hero in the "kids want to be him" tradition.

That's my take anyway.

Yeh, I know what you mean, though for me Bobby managed to be both, He was our best player, but for the first half of his stay, we where so poor, he still had that underdog quality, which was maybe enhanced by where we got him from.

I would say a large majority believe Wardy and Brayford to be fans favourites? Surely?

I don't know whether it's me wishing I was young again and you're older than me, so surely you remember when we had players you was genuinely pleased played for your club. Yes, Ward and Brayford are decent players, amongst the best at this level, but I've been in the same room as them numerous times and neither have that cliched x-factor that say Igor Stimac has.

I'm obviously losing something in translation here, but it's sad that people are trying to pick on it, my post was about the statement of intent that bringing someone in that could positively impact on us, a player on the up in his career, yet who already looks to be more than capable of standing out at this level.

Powell (D), Yates, Johnson (M), Seth, Buxton - they're probably the cult heroes whilst I've been watching.

Worked like builders and, apart from Seth, propelled themselves further than ability alone would have got them whilst at Derby.

I don't know whether it's me wishing I was young again and you're older than me, so surely you remember when we had players you was genuinely pleased played for your club. Yes, Ward and Brayford are decent players, amongst the best at this level, but I've been in the same room as them numerous times and neither have that cliched x-factor that say Igor Stimac has.

I'm obviously losing something in translation here, but it's sad that people are trying to pick on it, my post was about the statement of intent that bringing someone in that could positively impact on us, a player on the up in his career, yet who already looks to be more than capable of standing out at this level.

You just used the wrong term. People aren't picking on it or you, just stating their opinion.  Maybe you should have referred to him as a talisman.

Haha, you make me laugh mate.

Buxton a fantastic defender, Connor Sammon the most under rated player in the Championship, how did we not get promoted last season? Are there any of our players you dont particularly rate? Cos there must be a reason we havent done much for the last few season, but down to you they're all brilliant.

Easy,

Frank Fielding and Adam Legzdins are okay but both struggled to make their position their own. I think Brayford is particularly over-rated by some, a good defender he is, an already premier league prospect he is not. James O'Connor was very poor, Freeman showed promise if not at times limited. Richard Keogh is on a par with Buxton, in a good championship player but nothing more - think he is also over-rated by most. Gareth Roberts was particularly poor in the latter part of the season, as was Coutts - but Coutts was really good early on. Both Ben Davies and Michael Hoganson couldn't push for a starting place though, which is disappointing Jeff Hendrick was really poor early on in the season, but was very good towards the end of the season - Craig Bryson could of done better, a lot better but he put in the performances to warrant a place - Hughes went missing for a couple of months, and we carried him through some games. Michael Jacobs should of perhaps done more with his first season, but he was either good or missing - Jamie Ward was wasteful (as expected) but put the ball in the net more than enough times, could of been more.. Sammon was also wasteful, should of scored more goals - overall contribution as our man up top in open play was untouched by the rest of the strikers, who didn't even come close. Tyson was still average to poor - Theo was laughable.

I think i've covered most of it - I don't think they're all fantastic players, but nor do I think they're poor players either (for the most part) i've seen enough in most of them to know their level and because I don't pray or their weaknesses on here means nothing.

Sammon and Buxton for me are under-rated vastly, mainly because Buxton is every bit as good as Keogh who we spent a million pound on and Sammon is always working the defence, whereas i've seen 90% of strikers go missing unless they get a chance in the box.

I just focus on the positives because, well, why wouldn't I? 

So why is everything you've just said, going to be any better next season? Why are Sammon and Ward not going to be wasteful? Why are Coutts and Hendrick going to become consistent?

Maybe players can actually improve, maybe the singings we've made thus far will help the team as a whole and individual players to play to their own strengths, maybe the strength in depth will give the likes of sammon, ward and coutts a rest when the need it, maybe our young players will gain from this year's experience and come back fitter, stronger and more mentally equipped for a full season at this level...

Or maybe we'll be wnak and get relegated, here's hoping!

Archived