The importance of having a Cult Hero, and showing intention.

Mostyn6

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powell (D), Yates, Johnson (M), Seth, Buxton - they're probably the cult heroes whilst I've been watching.

Worked like builders and, apart from Seth, propelled themselves further than ability alone would have got them whilst at Derby.

You can't put Buxton in with thoose guys.

He is nowhere near as good as any of them, Yes they were all work horses but come on they were good enough to cut it and I'm sorry but could you imagine if Jake went up to the Premiership with us and has RVP running at him I mean come on. I could see Powell, Seth and Stimac being able to deal with it but Jake Buxton will not...

I'm sorry but he is typical hoof ball defender, slow, no tech ability and no footballing brain.

I respect him for trying and I respect him for the goals he has scored but if we are pushing for promotion he is not the right CB for us. OB is 10 times the player Buxton is and when fit we will see that.

Buxton has this cult hero status because he's scored two very late winners against 2 of our most hated rivals.. Surely that doesn't need much more debating? People enjoy him so much due to watching the likes of Claude Davis pish about on the ball at the back, Albrechtsen when he was here did barely nothing and cost a fortune for the pleasure. He's cost our club barely anything on wage comparison, puts everything into every game and has given me some of the best feelings during my 12/13 years a season ticket holder and going 80% of away games. Thats enough for a cult hero in recent years for me. Arise for Sir Jake.

Buxton has this cult hero status because he's scored two very late winners against 2 of our most hated rivals.. Surely that doesn't need much more debating? People enjoy him so much due to watching the likes of Claude Davis pish about on the ball at the back, Albrechtsen when he was here did barely nothing and cost a fortune for the pleasure. He's cost our club barely anything on wage comparison, puts everything into every game and has given me some of the best feelings during my 12/13 years a season ticket holder and going 80% of away games. Thats enough for a cult hero in recent years for me. Arise for Sir Jake.

I understand what you are saying and agree that he will always be a legend in what he has done and how he has gone about and done it.

I am just saying basically that we need a new CB don't get me wrong he would be able to come on as a late sub to close games out and ensure that we don't do anything drastic but he is a limited defender and if we want to improve as a team he is not the answer to the CB position please understand what I am saying.

Yes he is a cult hero for what he has done but he is not a player that people aspire to be I think that is the point Mostyn is trying to get across.

He is saying that the Colt Hero status now lays in the hands of Russell, ward and co. Mostyn was just saying that atleast we have a player (In Russell) that could be a spear head for the 1 player that shows the most potential in the team.

We had it with Igor in Jim Smith's era, and Steve Howard in the next era, I don't think he's trying to be nasty he is trying to be positive and show that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It looks like it is hard for him as he has made so many controversial comments in the past that everyone is jumping on him now.

I understand what you are saying and agree that he will always be a legend in what he has done and how he has gone about and done it.

I am just saying basically that we need a new CB don't get me wrong he would be able to come on as a late sub to close games out and ensure that we don't do anything drastic but he is a limited defender and if we want to improve as a team he is not the answer to the CB position please understand what I am saying.

Yes he is a cult hero for what he has done but he is not a player that people aspire to be I think that is the point Mostyn is trying to get across.

He is saying that the Colt Hero status now lays in the hands of Russell, ward and co. Mostyn was just saying that atleast we have a player (In Russell) that could be a spear head for the 1 player that shows the most potential in the team.

We had it with Igor in Jim Smith's era, and Steve Howard in the next era, I don't think he's trying to be nasty he is trying to be positive and show that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It looks like it is hard for him as he has made so many controversial comments in the past that everyone is jumping on him now.

i agree I'd like a new CB along side keogh, Buxton is very good at what he does but he doesn't have much else in his locker other than determination, effort and the balls about him to put his head In where it could hurt. He's improved no end since he first came here too. He'll always be loved but I wouldn't dispute another CB coming in one bit, I don't think Buxton is any better than the level we are at now and I'd like progression. My post was just summing why myself and most likely a lot of others adore the bloke!

I find it sad that when a little ray of sunshine lit up mostyn's usually negative posts everyone decided to jump up and down on him...

Good on you mate... I really do hope Russel is a talismanic Derby striker for years to come...

Although of course St Bucko the Peopl's Champion is my hero...

Did you know they asked him to the the villain in the new superman movie but at the last moment they had to replace him cos they realised audiences would never believe that superman could beat Bucko?

Did you also know that he's the only man in the world Chuck Norris is afraid of?

"I think he is suggesting that you are n adult and not a child now so you are looking through a different veiw from when you was a child"

Yeah I get it mate i just meant I might not have known why I liked a player as a kid but I still had heros (:

By the way I'm not being down on Mostyns post at all

In fact I quite like the new improved formula Mostyn  :p

Me too. Good thread Mostyn. :)

i couldn't understand at the time why bobby davison was treated as a hero when kevin wilson was a much more talented player.

Another heretic!!

Only joking. Wilson had a good 1/3 of a season after flattering to deceive for 3 seasons. Bobby did the business for years.

So why is everything you've just said, going to be any better next season? Why are Sammon and Ward not going to be wasteful? Why are Coutts and Hendrick going to become consistent?

Because you have to believe that it will otherwise what's the point?

Archived