The importance of having a Cult Hero, and showing intention.

Mostyn6

I thought the second half of last season was quite depressing for a Derby fan.

The feelings I had towards the club, and even football in general were those of boredom, despondency, connection, resentment and sometimes genuine dislike.

It's no secret that I don't have much faith in the current manager (and his staff) to deliver the success we crave, that's not to say that I don't have hope that he will succeed, and I DO want him to.

In recent seasons, in fact throughout Clough's entire reign, I've struggled to connect with his perceived behaviour and decisions, and this has fueled many negative comments about him.

So, why am I sitting here feeling quite positive?

Quite simple really, we have made a couple of 'positive' signings. Lee Grant is a good professional and by his very nature and consistency, should improve things in defence, providing more confidence and freedom for the defenders to perform without fear. But more importantly, the capture yesterday of Johnny Russell.

Now I'm not deluded, I'm aware that if he was 'amazing', bigger and richer clubs than us would have snagged him.

My positivity is based upon the intent shown by the club. For a long time now, we haven't had a cult hero to admire from the stand. Theo was an ironic cult hero if we are honest, and we spent longer laughing at his comedy football as we did cheering something he did well!

There's a lot been said about a lack of flair, or arrogance, or the trendy word nowadays 'swagger' in recent years and in particular recruited by Nigel Clough, but I think Russell is the person to fill the void of 'cult hero' that I think has been there since Seth hobbled off the hallowed Wembley turf in May 2007! 

It may not be the record transfer signing. It may not be some experienced world cup winning signing, but it's a positive and for me, it's a huge positive.

Fans need to identify with someone on the pitch, fans need an idol, seemingly Derby fans need a scapegoat too but that's a different story. We've been starved of someone to really admire and idolise for such a long time.

Yes there's a risk with every signing, but the intent is there, and fair play and well done to everyone for making this move happen.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have Bucko you heretic.

If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

He's in the same category as Darren Moore and Michael Johnson, a battler!

We are talking about footballers here.

If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

He's in the same category as Darren Moore and Michael Johnson, a battler!

We are talking about footballers here.

I don't think I have ever agreed with one of your posts Mostyn.

I have to say Bucko is not a cult hero and not even a good defender just a put my head in where it hurts guy..

I know people wont agree but Bucko is no world class defender and is lucky to be playing Championship football IMO.

I am. I'm talking about the kind of player, that when you're a kid and you're dribbling the ball around your back-garden and doing a fake commentary to yourself, the player you say you are.

For me, it was a couple over my childhood, "and it Saunders....he rounds one...nutmegs another...and scores... (put t-shirt over head or something similar)... "YEAHHHHHH"....GOAL". Then it was McMinn....

I cannot imagine many kids running around their garden pretending to be Jake Buxton.

I am. I'm talking about the kind of player, that when you're a kid and you're dribbling the ball around your back-garden and doing a fake commentary to yourself, the player you say you are.

For me, it was a couple over my childhood, "and it Saunders....he rounds one...nutmegs another...and scores... (put t-shirt over head or something similar)... "YEAHHHHHH"....GOAL". Then it was McMinn....

I cannot imagine many kids running around their garden pretending to be Jake Buxton.

Ha ha ha ha, can you imagine it!! My Dad would of belted me for even pretending to be Buxton.

Ha ha ha ha, can you imagine it!! My Dad would of belted me for even pretending to be Buxton.

Exactly, this is nothing against Jake Buxton, or anyone. This is just pro- Johnny Russell. I haven't seen much of him, but I can imagine kids running around shouting "Russell......goal" as they play in the garden. To be fair, that's been missing for a very long time.

Exactly, this is nothing against Jake Buxton, or anyone. This is just pro- Johnny Russell. I haven't seen much of him, but I can imagine kids running around shouting "Russell......goal" as they play in the garden. To be fair, that's been missing for a very long time.

Exactly Mostyn. But can't you see it's been achieved by very careful ownership and astute focused management that HMS Derby has been turned around? I see you said "fair play to everyone who made this happen" but I think the club deserve a massive pat on the back. I have said before all we ever needed was the feel good factor of the fans. I think we now have that and at the very least are on the launch pad. Really looking forward to this coming season.

Exactly Mostyn. But can't you see it's been achieved by very careful ownership and astute focused management that HMS Derby has been turned around? I see you said "fair play to everyone who made this happen" but I think the club deserve a massive pat on the back. I have said before all we ever needed was the feel good factor of the fans. I think we now have that and at the very least are on the launch pad. Really looking forward to this coming season.

I've always been for the way the club has been run and the philosophy behind it. The need to stop losing millions in interest to banks was vital. I don't however like the way the club misled the fans with carefully/cutely worded "Barker type signings". They should've been more honest and showed more integrity. I accept it was always gonna be a tough job to stop further decline, and Clough DOES deserve credit for that.... but now is the time to head the other way.

Jake Buxton is my favourite, and optimises everything about what I like in a defender.

He is a good championship defender, and he is a better than most people give him credit for - I think this season on many levels he was better than Keogh, and his warrior like performances were the cornerstone of our play.

He is a good footballer, he isn't ronaldiniho - but, he can knock a ball around easily and competently!

He is a great defender, a fantastic defender infact, I can't name many better raw defenders at this level.

so why do we actively look for a 'replacement' for him, I don't know.. I genuinely think we will struggle to get better, but, I do agree we need options at the back with the injuries.  

Jake Buxton is my favourite, and optimises everything about what I like in a defender.

He is a good championship defender, and he is a better than most people give him credit for - I think this season on many levels he was better than Keogh, and his warrior like performances were the cornerstone of our play.

He is a good footballer, he isn't ronaldiniho - but, he can knock a ball around easily and competently!

He is a great defender, a fantastic defender infact, I can't name many better raw defenders at this level.

so why do we actively look for a 'replacement' for him, I don't know.. I genuinely think we will struggle to get better, but, I do agree we need options at the back with the injuries.  

But you also think Conor Sammon is the best player at the club, so some of us don't listen to you :p

Archived