The importance of having a Cult Hero, and showing intention.

Mostyn6

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bucko is a great cult hero. Someone who appreciates where he's come from, and where he's playing at now. Someone who pulls the Derby shirt on with absolute pride. Someone who supporters can identify with. Someone who's got a good grasp of reality. Someone prepared to do the dirty work. And he chips in with some important goals.

He's the sort of character who's a bit of a throwback to the old days, in the days when you'd catch up with a player after the game in the pub and enjoy a pint and a chat with. And he's got that underdog 'playing above his station' feel to him, which accentuates the above points. He's the sort of player you look at and think 'that could have been me'!

So yeah, Bucko for cult hero.

jake buxton is a cult hero, a defender that shouldnt be good enough but is

he put his head and body on the line for derby and scores flippin goals when called upon, how much more cult status do you need?

I think Bucko is a great cult hero. Someone who appreciates where he's come from, and where he's playing at now. Someone who pulls the Derby shirt on with absolute pride. Someone who supporters can identify with. Someone who's got a good grasp of reality. Someone prepared to do the dirty work. And he chips in with some important goals.

He's the sort of character who's a bit of a throwback to the old days, in the days when you'd catch up with a player after the game in the pub and enjoy a pint and a chat with. And he's got that underdog 'playing above his station' feel to him, which accentuates the above points. He's the sort of player you look at and think 'that could have been me'!

So yeah, Bucko for cult hero.

I can appreciate where you are both coming from, but I think we are talking about different things here.

There was a thread last week about the greatest players and worst players. IF in 30 years time, someone did one of those threads, NOBODY, and I repeat NOBODY will list Jake Buxton. As much as I love him, he will never be an icon, he will never be the footballer that kids want to be!

Jake Buxton is my favourite, and optimises everything about what I like in a defender.

He is a good championship defender, and he is a better than most people give him credit for - I think this season on many levels he was better than Keogh, and his warrior like performances were the cornerstone of our play.

He is a good footballer, he isn't ronaldiniho - but, he can knock a ball around easily and competently!

He is a great defender, a fantastic defender infact, I can't name many better raw defenders at this level.

so why do we actively look for a 'replacement' for him, I don't know.. I genuinely think we will struggle to get better, but, I do agree we need options at the back with the injuries.  

Haha, you make me laugh mate.

Buxton a fantastic defender, Connor Sammon the most under rated player in the Championship, how did we not get promoted last season? Are there any of our players you dont particularly rate? Cos there must be a reason we havent done much for the last few season, but down to you they're all brilliant.

If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

We are talking about footballers here.

I see you don't quite understand the term 'cult hero' then. He doesn't have to be your best player. You just have to like him and identify with him.

It's all about definitions.

Jake Buxton is without question the closest thing we have to a cult hero.

Theo Robinson had his moments were the label 'cult hero' was potentially appropriate.

Paul Peschisolido (for example) is possibly an example of a bigger cult hero.

Dean Saunders is blatantly something else, talismanic is the word that comes into my head.

The OP puts no pressure at all on Russell though - lol - welcome our new hero before you've kicked a ball...

Watch Connor Sammon now that he has competition. His game will come on tenfold this season.

I see you don't quite understand the term 'cult hero' then. He doesn't have to be your best player. You just have to like him and identify with him.

I can it from that POV, so I'll open it up to the reader to define the term. I dont agree that people will pay to see a player like Buxton play. I dont agree that kids in their back yard will be dribbling around pretending to be Buxton, and I don't see him being remembered beyond his time here.

I note that people slate me when I write something critical and then the same posters ignore it when I offer praise only to nitpick on the irrelevances in the post. 

If Buxton (or anyone else for that matter) is the "cult hero" we need, why wasn't the good feeling already there??

Anyway, my post was more about the positive intent from the club.

I can appreciate where you are both coming from, but I think we are talking about different things here.

There was a thread last week about the greatest players and worst players. IF in 30 years time, someone did one of those threads, NOBODY, and I repeat NOBODY will list Jake Buxton. As much as I love him, he will never be an icon, he will never be the footballer that kids want to be!

And you're absolutely right, I'm sure.

I guess we're both looking for something different in our heroes!

For me, a hero doesn't have to be our greatest player, or even a player you'd 'pay to see', but someone you can connect, identify with and respect.

Kinkladze was a game changer, someone you'd pay to see, the footballer kids want to be, all those things. He was a superb player we still talk about. I wouldn't put him in cult hero status though.

And you're absolutely right, I'm sure.

I guess we're both looking for something different in our heroes!

For me, a hero doesn't have to be our greatest player, or even a player you'd 'pay to see', but someone you can connect, identify with and respect.

Kinkladze was a game changer, someone you'd pay to see, the footballer kids want to be, all those things. He was a superb player we still talk about. I wouldn't put him in cult hero status though.

oh Kinky!

He could and perhaps should've been, and would've been had it not been for a combination of club debt, John Gregory, Dinky Donuts, a demanding missus with a ahem....habit, and a love of KFC!

Kinky and Jake - what a fantastic example of footballing extremes!

Jake will be more fondly remembered at Derby even though Kinky was (arguably) in the top 10 of the most naturally gifted footballers of all time.

Back to the point (i think) of Mostyn's topic.......none of the 70's players were cult heroes as such - mainly because the whole team(s) were that good. Us owd 'uns still talk about Todd, Roy Mac, Zak, Archie, Nish, Charlie etc as one - they were all world class players.

My biggest cult hero is probably Bobby Davison. He arrived from Halifax, virtually unknown, at one of the lowest times of the club's history and gave us the impetus to get back to the top tier.

Could Johnny Russell be this generation's Bobby D?

If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

He's in the same category as Darren Moore and Michael Johnson, a battler!

We are talking about footballers here.

Anyone who scores the winner against Florist and the Dirties fully deserves their cult hero status. You don't have to be a great player to be a hero - just a local guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. Such attributes are rare enough in football without fans trying to do them down in order to make a point.

"As much as I love him, he will never be an icon, he will never be the footballer that kids want to be"

I dont know?? he isnt the best technically but his hard work ethic, his passion and no nonsense attitude to defending is to be admired and I think kids of today could have a worse role model

bobby davo brilliant example of a cult hero

I'd say Buxton is a cult hero. He was to me before he scored against forest.

He's not a bad defender but he's not good enough for where we need to be IMO. Wouldn't complain if he took us there though.

And as for kids won't want to be like Buxton I disagree if kids had the desire and commitment as him they'll learn a lot. It's all well and good trying to be messi but if you don't give 100% there's no point.

Anyone who scores the winner against Florist and the Dirties fully deserves their cult hero status. You don't have to be a great player to be a hero - just a local guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. Such attributes are rare enough in football without fans trying to do them down in order to make a point.

Gramps, I think you'll find someone was actually using Buxton to do me down and make a point.

"As much as I love him, he will never be an icon, he will never be the footballer that kids want to be"

I dont know?? he isnt the best technically but his hard work ethic, his passion and no nonsense attitude to defending is to be admired and I think kids of today could have a worse role model

bobby davo brilliant example of a cult hero

seen through the eyes of an adult!

This. Peter Daniel was a cult hero, Ronnie Webster was a cult hero - David Nish wasn't. Nish was probably the most skilful full back I've ever seen - a guy who would not have looked out of place in any football team in the world, but a cult hero he wasn't.

Gramps, I think you'll find someone was actually using Buxton to do me down and make a point.

So how does

"If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

We are talking about footballers here."

fit with someone else putting you down, sonny?

Come on Mostyn, you only typed that a few hours ago, and it was your second contribution to the thread. Has senility struck you down so early in life? A tragedy.

So how does

"If you are putting Bucko anywhere near the cult hero column, then you're a bigger doofus than you're pretending to be.

We are talking about footballers here."

fit with someone else putting you down, sonny?

Come on Mostyn, you only typed that a few hours ago, and it was your second contribution to the thread. Has senility struck you down so early in life? A tragedy.

Have you seen what I was responding to when I wrote it? or are you being selective again?

Archived