Who feels excited?

Hans

Not in that way.

Once Russell signs I will be very happy, there seems to be a kind of new euphoria surrounding this season because I believe Rush and Clough are showing their intentions and I think we will be up there next season, for me its knowing we have two great goal scorers in Russell and Ward, and we have Hughes, Brayford, Bryson, Grant, all high quality championship players. Roll on August!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very pleased atm, with Grant, Martin and Russell (and perhaps Forsyth) making their way in, but I do think it'll be a big step back if Brayford goes...hopefully the clubs clear ambition so far this summer is enough to persuade him to stay.

But excited? Not quite yet!

I just hope the players within the team grow...

I've seen enough of Freeman, Gjokaj Jacobs and Bennett to think that given a good pre-season we have potentially a new signing anyway, Will Hughes played a couple games previous, looked sharp - one pre-season later he was an integral part of our first team. 

Freeman is a very talented player for me, for his age - he is a competent championship right back, who seems like he is being conservative which is what you would expect for a player just breaking into the team, there is glimpses of very good quality which seem to happen more when his backs against the wall.

Gjokaj is another player, very good footballer could fill in a number of positions but anyone who was at the Burton (pre-season friendly) would of been watching this guy, looked formidable - played a few times this season, done okay but think he could break through next season.

Jacobs, well after 5 assists on his competitive debut it looked like he could of been instrumental this season, never the less - it wasn't to be, but still showed some very good quality when asked upon in some games. He has the ability, hope we can get it out of him more often! 

Bennett, still young but we don't need him to be first team striker just yet - give him more time on the pitch, in all honesty he looks as quick as anyone in the team, and stronger than anyone in the team. He is raw, and once he gets going I think his development will be more like Barnes than Hughes - explosive player that will catch headlines.

and obviously the players in the team to keep progressing, not many of them are even close to their peak! Brayford has more in him, Forsyth (if he signs) him for me is a little hidden gem from what I've seen, Hendrick (a more consistent solid season) Hughes (more impact on statistics, his ability is there (obviously), Sammon (had a rest a couple times, the game after he was MOTM in both games!) Performance against Peterbrough was incredible, 1 against 3 and he had them on their arse! and so on, and so forth and Coutts to play like he did early on in the season (and the latter few games, please)

Players through the door would be nice, a left back is needed! a centre back would be nice, as would a competitive right midfielder... but Clough has it 100% spot on, the thing we need the most is more options - we can't have players running on half a tank if we want to be promoted! 

and to add... the games that win you promotion aren't the ones where you're smashing teams 4 or 5-0 at home on a saturday afternoon! 

but the games mid-week and away from home, I think once we went on the bad run we let our heads drop and said (no chance of play-offs here) and away games seemed a close cut case before a ball was even kicked.

concentration and focus... but, for me our worst thing has to be composure when things aren't going our way - that's when we seem to crumble and rely on pure reactive football, which we do a lot away from home and in home games where we don't get an early goal.

'Forgot' my pack up today so I've got to buy my dinnner from the shop.

So yep, pretty excited.

I would be excited as I finish work at 12:30pm on Fridays, but today I have a gas engineer coming around to carry out an annual inspection at Mostyn Towers, just my luck I'll be sat there hours waiting, when I could be in a beer garden or a golf course.

As stated, if we kept Brayford and Hughes and signed Forsyth and Russell I'd be very pleased with our summer acquisitions. Maybe a CB on loan until Barks/OB is fit but I'm happy with Buxton with Gjokaj covering.

Agreed, If Brayford signs a new deal and Hughes is here (even if its back on loan after selling for a decent fee, although I think I would wait until Jan at the earliest - barring a freak injury, he'll improve and be worth more), I will be quietly excited!

I would be excited as I finish work at 12:30pm on Fridays, but today I have a gas engineer coming around to carry out an annual inspection at Mostyn Towers, just my luck I'll be sat there hours waiting, when I could be in a beer garden or a golf course.

Mmmm, beer. The dicky hip's no good for playing golf so that went the same was as the tenpin bowling, but there's nothing wrong with my elbows.

I'm excited because I'm having sausages, mashed spuds, mushy peas and thick onion gravy tonight, that will be followed by stewed rhubarb and thick custard and will be washed down with a cold bottle of Old Peculier.

:rolleyes: YUMMY!!!

:huh: Oh, and I think that Russell's agent might be playing at silly Bulgars by hinting that Celtic might still nip in and purloin him from under our noses.

I'm very pleased atm, with Grant, Martin and Russell (and perhaps Forsyth) making their way in, but I do think it'll be a big step back if Brayford goes...hopefully the clubs clear ambition so far this summer is enough to persuade him to stay.

But excited? Not quite yet!

Keeping Brayford is a must at this point. Our biggest weakness last season was the defence, it was the difference between top 10 and top 6 easily. As much as signing a pair of strikers, a keeper and a kind of leftback would be, losing our best defender and a key part of how the side can attack would be a right kick below the belt, and that certainly wouldn't help anyone's "excitement"... well, most people's at least.

Grant is a step in the right direction, but we need Forsyth and at least a centrehalf on board before the season kicks off. Unless Clough is convinced that Gjokaj is ready for a main role in the side next season, we need someone else on board, because we aren't just light on there due to injuries, but I'm also not convinced with the overall quality as it stands. Ultimately though, if we lose Brayford it would be a disaster, whether it's a wise business decision or not.

Archived